Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What is too skinny? page

JoeyLawrence is offline Junior Member

What is too skinny?

Primal Fuel
    I started my primal lifestyle almost 8 months ago and in that time I have gone from 201 lbs to 167 lbs (I'm 5'11"). I have started to get the comments from family and friends that I am "too skinny", "don't need to lose any more weight", "I'm worried about your weight loss", etc. My diet consists of 2 or 3 eggs and a few strips of bacon in the morning, a hefty helping of meat (grass fed beef, pulled pork, chicken) along with cooked veggies for lunch, and then at night I eat another meat and vegetable (usually steak and brocolli, pork chops and sweet potato, etc). I snack by eating blueberries and fast by skipping breakfast 2 or 3 days a week. My exercise consists of pushups/planks/pullups every other day, walking 4 days a week, and a sprint day about every 10 days. My one vice is that I probably drink alcohol more than the average primal person, but I try to keep it to red wine.

The weight started to plateau when I got to about 175 lbs, but about a month ago I started to drop more weight. I'm 29 and feel better than I have ever felt in my life. My question is, can you ever be TOO thin? I'm not trying to lose weight any more, but I don't want to add carbs if it is unhealthy. If I drop down to 155 is that bad? Thoughts....
    Last edited by JoeyLawrence; 04-24-2012 at 04:16 PM.

apple is offline Senior Member
    If you continue losing weight you might find that eating more calories in general is necessary. You're active, you use the calories, so you should replenish with the calories. You'll probably find that you plateau again soon as long as you are eating enough, though.

I don't think you are too thin now based on your height/weight. I might think differently if I saw a picture of you though, never know just by numbers. It's not a bad idea to go based on how you feel. I think if you continue to have plenty of energy and aren't going hungry, you are simply normalizing your body weight. Nothing wrong with that!
    Type 1 Diabetic. Controlling blood sugar through primal life.

2012 Goals:
    Maintain A1c of 6.0 or lower
    More dietary fat, less carbs, moderate protein
    LHT and sprint as per PB fitness
    Play more!

KV8R is offline Senior Member
    It's funny, I've been dealing with the exact same thing! I'm 6'1, started at 190, (I was 210 at my heaviest, but that was before primal) and I'm now 165. Everybody has been telling me lately that I'm too skinny. Funny thing is, I have no six pack in sight, I think I could still stand to lose 10 lbs off my belly.

peril is offline Senior Member
    You're not too skinny. I'm same height and a few pounds lighter. I found that people react instinctively to you losing weight. Lately I've been told by the same people that I'm looking good even though my weight hasn't changed since
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

apple is offline Senior Member
    Also want to add: my younger brother just turned 21. He is 6'2"ish. Weighs 135-140 pounds. THAT is "too" skinny, in my opinion. But he eats like a pig and just naturally has 3% body fat and no muscle, despite being very athletic. No one worries about his weight (even doctors) because he functions normally, eats plenty, and has just always been skinny.
    Type 1 Diabetic. Controlling blood sugar through primal life.

2012 Goals:
    Maintain A1c of 6.0 or lower
    More dietary fat, less carbs, moderate protein
    LHT and sprint as per PB fitness
    Play more!

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    This is not about you or your weight or how you look. This is about the other folks.

When I was in uni, I'd gained a fair bit of weight and was wearing a size 14 when I started law school. To help reduce stress, I decided to take on triathlon training. It was for fun, for me. I did this in addition to my yoga. I worked out about an hour a day (1 work out was swimming, 1 work out was running/biking) and then I did about 1-1.5 hrs of yoga. It was spread out, and never felt like "too much working out" or "overtraining."

Anyway, after about 6 months, I'd dropped to a size 6. It was great. I hadn't' tried to loose weight, but I did loose weight.

Then, I started to wear clothing that fit -- because I'd just worn my normal clothes for 6 months. it wasn't until they fell off of me that day that I decided that I probably should go and get new clothes. LOL

Anyway, at that point, I was still doing what I always did -- still training like I always did. Of course, I'd improved in my distances and times. When I'd started swimming, for example, I would get through about 500 in 30 minutes. By the time I'd gotten 6 months in, I was doing a sprint-version and in the middle of my shorter sprints (100s and 200s), I would toss in a 500. I was probably doing about 1500-1600 in that time. Obviously, my fitness had improved.

At this point, people started to "freak out." By that I mean -- all of the comments that you mention, I got them in spades. The assumption is that I was doing all of this to loose weight, or that I was doing it to continue to loose weight. While it was a nice side effect, at this point, I was really training because it was enjoyable.

In fact, I was swimming twice a day (usually) because I found it to be the most fun aspect of training and really calming to my mind. I was then running and biking only 2-3 time a week, and since I wasn't racing at this point, I seriously didn't care. LOL

Anyway, people were freaking out and telling me that I no longer needed to 'diet' -- except that I was eating A LOT of food, everything that I wanted in fact -- and that I didn't need to "work out so much." Of course, I was really just doing something that I enjoyed *a lot*, so why stop?

THe reality is that people are self-judging. A lot of it is the assumption that you are going to be unhealthy, or that you're not going to take care of yourself, but this is largely a guise for how they feel about themselves.

Truth is, eating well and getting movement *works*. it doesn't have to be the CW way -- in fact the way that mark outlines things works beautifully in a minimum amount of time commitment for the working out/play business. And, a lot of people are not willing to truly figure out how to eat well and get movement that they enjoy so that it *works*.

So when it *works* we are somehow these bad people who should be stopped -- but only because they look at themselves and judge themselves, and since we can't have that. . . that self judgement. . . then they put the site of "wrongness" onto someone else.

"You're too skinny" is siting you are the origin of their own discomfort.

If you are healthy, have a healthy relationship to food and exercise, and are enjoying yourself, then your body will find good balance and be healthy. Easy as that.

JoeyLawrence is offline Junior Member
    zoebird.... great answer. I think you're exactly right.

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    One thing to consider is if you lose more weight which likely will be muscle do you think you would be able to gain it back if you wanted to? With your kind of metabolism that might be difficult.
    Have your body composition done to find out where you are and then decide from there.

Kharnath is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fiercehunter View Post
    Have your body composition done to find out where you are and then decide from there.
    Easily the best answer.

Tneah is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    You probably need to add weight training to build up muscle. My husband is the same way. Once he's stops his weight training routine he looks so thin....I call it scrawny looking. I hate it. I don't like pumped up muscle type of men, but somebody with muscle tone, yes. So, yes you can be too skinny.

My sister got very skinny to the point where she loved how she looked, but truly couldn't see what others saw. She looked like her skin was wearing her not the other way around. She had no muscle tone. She was totally saggy in every direction. She changed that and started training and now she looks very healthy.

Also, change is hard for people.
    Last edited by Tneah; 04-24-2012 at 06:44 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast