Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stalled or Simply Stagnant? page

LSUhoneybadger is offline Junior Member

Stalled or Simply Stagnant?

Primal Fuel
    I sent this post to Mark before realizing I would get quicker feedback here. I have loved this site for a long time yet this is my first post. Thanks in advance to all for reading.

I've been doing Paleo for 2 months almost religiously as well as getting back in the gym. Actually a little longer but really strict for this length of time. My problem is I am 5'8 180 (with 19% bf according to the amazon handheld thingy). I have always been a pretty muscular guy because I used to work out all the time (I am 42) when growing up because frankly, there wasn't a hell of a lot more to do back then.

I've noticed my strength increases pretty fast since I've lifted pretty heavy (at least for me) since starting back.

I do cardio/interval/sprinting combos 3-4 times a week (30-45 mins) at least and walk/run my dog daily weather permitting.

Also, I lift weights at least 3 times a week doing full body exercising mostly. Deadlifts, Squats, Cleans, Presses are the staples and dumbbells. I dont think I've used a machine since returning.

To get to my point, my weight remains the same and sometimes even up a little near the 185 mark. This is freaking me out. My clothes are all too big from when I began and my 34 inch pants are no longer snug. I'm clearly losing inches but not weight. Surely I can't gain muscle at this rate? Also, Im eating as clean as possible and no more than 2000 calories a day--I've been tracking pretty dang closely. Often intermittent fasting simply because its always felt right for me and I always ate only when hungry even before I read the research.

I'd really like to get to 170lbs but it seems I am going nowhere fast. I know weight is just a number relative to everything else and yes I feel great and do at least 3 miles a day most days.

I guess I shouldn't be complaining but my worry is if I can't drop lbs. now, I fear it may never happen.

Long-time fan and avid reader of all your books and of course your blog. Thanks for everything and I apologize for the length of my diatribe but I truly am concerned.

Fletch666 is offline Senior Member
    I'll say the usual stuff.
    Ignore the scale. Take measurements. Muscle is denser (weighs more) than fat.
    It'll happen for you. This isn't a weekend diet. It's forever. I'm a little less than a year in, weigh less than I did when I ran 40+ miles a week, and am still losing weight even though I'm putting on muscle. Don't stress it.

Once you've been primal for at least six months, try experimenting with Intermittent Fasting. It really works. But I wouldn't try it until you're fat-adapted.
    It'll get easier and easier to listen to your appetite. It won't be long before you can ignore the calorie counting.

That help?

Yes thanks. I think I am going to introduce a few good carbs as I've done low-carb for quite some time and its clear I am stuck. Im not going to stress over it as much because I do feel great and have been eating clean. Maybe I need more balance with a some good fruits which I've not had in a long time. And possibly more vegetables. I have been doing IF pretty much for years since I dont have kids and pretty much eat when Im hungry. I had gotten out of the exercise loop with the desk job finally taking its toll so this prompted me to get back into shape before its too late.

I was thinking though, doing 45 mins of cardio at least 3-4 days a week should have a losing affect on my weight. I suppose I just need to give it time.

thanks for the reply.

prodistat is offline Senior Member
    I do cardio/interval/sprinting combos 3-4 times a week (30-45 mins) at least and walk/run my dog daily weather permitting.

Also, I lift weights at least 3 times a week doing full body exercising mostly. Deadlifts, Squats, Cleans, Presses are the staples and dumbbells. I dont think I've used a machine since returning.
    I'm going with over training. You might need to back off on the frequency and intensity and let your body recover. More doesn't always mean better or more effective. Too much training = stress. Stress causes all kinds of problems; it inhibits weight loss, in creases anxiety, can cause sleep disturbances, and on and on. You also need adequate time for your body to recover and build muscle.

You might want to try weight lifting to failure (can't do any more reps) once a week for each muscle group. And as for cardio, you'd probably be better off going for long walks than running or jogging. However, what you do depends on your goals. If you're just want to be healthy and lose weight, then lots of walking and lifting once a week should work for you.
    Prodistat
    Poke it quickly, with a stick.

I havent been stressing myself too much or at least I feel better after. Of course I did crash two days this past week at work which is why Im definitely upping my good carbs.

Last couple of days I started doing fewer lifts but heavier with less for each muscle group. I am still doing light cardio almost daily with brief intervals of upping the intensity to get my heart rate higher.

Feeling great so I shouldnt complain too much. Eating a mango and downing a post-workout choco-milk seems to have helped replaced my glycogen stores and eliminated the crashing affect for now.

Also wondering if running on a treadmill is really running. I guess not. Much too easy in comparison than open road. I suppose I should up the incline to 3 or so.

And is this elliptical thing really good to use or not.

damn, Ive been under my maintenance calories and tracking every bite with no more than 1700 per day. Lifting heavy, body fat 20% so trying to lose lbs. 185 is too high for me but weight not only not going down its leveling up.

im doing sprints and other cardio almost daily. Lifting 4x a week. carbs not going above 50 gms most days. Sleeping well and going to bed early for once in my life as well. drinking water (which i never did consistently)

this is baffling. Im leaning out but the scale is pissing me off. ill just pretend the scale doesnt exist before i get completely dissuaded, discouraged and disheartened.

LolaLola is offline Member
    How can you be disillusioned & discouraged if you feel good, & you're eating clean & healthily, you're fit and able for exercise and you're leaning out with your clothes fitting better? Seriously. Forget the scales.

Quote Originally Posted by LolaLola View Post
    How can you be disillusioned & discouraged if you feel good, & you're eating clean & healthily, you're fit and able for exercise and you're leaning out with your clothes fitting better? Seriously. Forget the scales.
    its just a tad discouraging. (that completes the alliteration for the day)

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Leaner people with a lot of muscle can weigh more than the BMI charts say they should. I know men who are at 10% or less body fat who are well into the overweight or even in the obese BMI category because of their muscle mass. Stop thinking about what you "should" weigh according to the scale, take measurements and go with how you look and feel. If someone is technically overweight but has 8% body fat and wears 30" jeans, who gives a damn what the BMI says?
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    Leaner people with a lot of muscle can weigh more than the BMI charts say they should. I know men who are at 10% or less body fat who are well into the overweight or even in the obese BMI category because of their muscle mass. Stop thinking about what you "should" weigh according to the scale, take measurements and go with how you look and feel. If someone is technically overweight but has 8% body fat and wears 30" jeans, who gives a damn what the BMI says?
    i am definitely losing fat and inches. ill just have to refrain from whining about the scale for now. Ill check it again in a couple months.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast