Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Arthritis page

Sean40 Guest

Shop Now

Looking for folks on here that have switched to this diet and had success relieving their arthritis? I have osteoarthritis in my knees, elbows and shoulders. I have had surgeries to clean up the damaged tissue and bone and frankly, I'm getting tired of it. The one constant I keep hearing from the authors of anti-arthritis diets is don't eat animal protein! I have tried the all grain diet with no flours or sugar and have stuck to fish and eggs for my protein, there is some relief, but not enough. I do feel flat and sort of an overall blah kind of feeling. I think I miss my main sources of protein, but don't want to get fully inflamed by going back to red meat. Thanks

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member

Sean,

I have OA in my knees and hips, and started feeling better in about three days after I dropped the grains. I felt better still after starting up some fish oil (2-3 1,200 mg caps) and vitamin D3 (5-10K per day).

Now, I know it's still with me--- but I can't feel it at all. I don't even own a bottle of Naprosyn anymore :-D

Best thing I could suggest, is to give it a few weeks, and see how you feel. (ETA: I eat a lot of red meat.)

Sean40 Guest

Kuno1chi, did you eat a lot of red meat before(with the grains)or is it something new? Thanks!

Sugarisatoxin is offline Junior Member

Sean,

I have seen a marked improvement in my OA in my knees and ankles by taking Krill oil [1 caps] and D3 [4-6K per day]. I also dropped the grains.

You will need at least 2 weeks of supplements to see effect.

Sean40 Guest

I'll check out the Krill oil. I do take D regularly...Sugarisatoxin, how do you feel about red meat and your OA?

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member

Sean,

Before I went Primal last August, I was eating a lot of grain products (mostly whole wheat), and probably more chicken and fish than red meat. I tried to eat a lot of vegetables, as well.

Just couldn't understand why I didn't feel better on such a "healthy diet", and why my body felt like an old lady's :-(

I went cold turkey from all grains, sugar and general crap, upped my red meat, and replaced all my veggie oils (except olive oil) with coconut oil, butter and Ghee. It was literally two or three days, and I started to feel a difference in my knees and hips.

Hope this helps!

Sean,

I never used to eat that much red meat until I went Primal. Now I eat meat every day along with butter, eggs and bacon.

I have lost 26lbs since Nov. and feel great.Just got back from the doctors last week and my Lipids are great.My BP went from 145/90 to 110/70.I think this was from the low carb.Fasting blood sugar was 90.

Everything has improved but you must be willing to work at it.

Sean,

I never used to eat that much red meat until I went Primal. Now I eat meat every day along with butter, eggs and bacon.

I have lost 26lbs since Nov. and feel great.Just got back from the doctors last week and my Lipids are great.My BP went from 145/90 to 110/70.I think this was from the low carb.Fasting blood sugar was 90.

Everything has improved but you must be willing to work at it.

Griff is offline Senior Member

I have RA, not OA, but I found total relief from the pain when I stopped eating grains and went Primal. Part of this is because wheat tends to aggravate inflammatory conditions, and RA definitely falls into that category. For the part of your OA that is caused by inflammation, you should see some relief from a Primal diet, although it may not be completely relieved because OA is caused more by joint degeneration rather than inflammation.

Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

piano-doctor-lady is offline Senior Member

I'm still getting into it all, and want relief for sore slow-healing muscles as well as sore knees. Luckily no OA in elbows or hips ... hopefully ever.

I just started taking 5k of D3 per day, starting this morning. Before that I would have a teaspoonful of cod liver oil every now and then -- pretty hit and miss. I have hopes that a better amount of D3 will do the trick for me.

I'm not working to lose weight at present, just want less soreness in muscles and arthritic knees. If I lost some of the apple shape, I certainly wouldn't complain, though. Quite willing to make new holes in a belt, whatever the scale says.

You guys are a real inspiration, with your tremendous improvements! Griff, great new photo.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast