Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Omega 3 page

stefor is offline Junior Member

Omega 3

Shop Now
    Hi guys,

First off, my reasoning:
    We can produce fat from glucose if we're not eating enough fat.
    We can produce glucose from fat if we need it.
    We're unable to produce "essential" fatty acids like Omega3.

Does anyone know how Omega3 is good for you? Apart from it beeing an "essential" fatty acid and doing stuff to your bodys cholesterol?

I've grown up beeing told Omega3 is great, prevents heart disease and so on. In roughly the same breath people have been saying that saturated fat is bad for you and a healthy whole grain meal is the ideal.

From what I've been able to gather the primary effect of Omega3 is to lower triglyceride levels. Why would I want to lower that on a primal diet? My cholesterol is perfectly alright, my overall health is great. Why do we need fat that our own bodies are unable to produce?

Is really Omega3 the answer to everything? All studies I've been able to find regarding unsaturated fat both the focus and control group have been eating a very unprimal diet containing alot of grains/sugars and starchs.

How are Omega3 essential? What does it actually do in our body? Anyone knows?

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    It's essential for eye health, especially in a developing fetus. In adults it helps prevent macular degeneration. It's also essential for preventing brain degeneration as we age. During pregnancy, most women's brains shrink because they have to cannabilise omega 3 for the baby.

Omega 3 is also a powerful anti-inflammatory (helpful in preventing or alleviating rheumatoid arthritis, and helps prevent/alleviate depression (some clinical trials have shown it to be more effective than SSRIs).

It also keeps skin healthy and slows down aging of the skin.

Excess triglycerides are associated with raised blood pressure, cardiovascular disease and diabetes. That's why lowering them is a good thing.

So omega 3's not the answer to everything but it's pretty damned powerful stuff.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Darz is offline Senior Member
    It's also useful so that one can balance the ratio between omega6 and omega3 - omega 6 is basically in every food, amounts vary depending on source, and it's pro-inflammatory when in excess.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paleo-bunny View Post
    During pregnancy, most women's brains shrink because they have to cannabilise omega 3 for the baby.
    Oh gawd, I've had 4 babies. That explains alot I just read that to DH. He is sweet, didnt say a word, just smiled.

Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post
    Oh gawd, I've had 4 babies. That explains alot I just read that to DH. He is sweet, didnt say a word, just smiled.
    I'm sure you're fine.

The overly simplistic WHO guideline that advises women to limit fish intake to 2-3 portions a week due to concerns over mercury and other toxins has done more harm than good, IMO. That's barely enough to maintain omega-3. They should have advised to avoid top-feeders and farmed fish, and eat ample quantities of wild alaskan salmon and smaller oily fish like sardines. This has had serious health consequences in the UK.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

oksanapf is offline Junior Member
    I am researching this topic too and hear opposing views on Omega 3, how much is safe? I am currently taking 1g, down from 2-3g I used to take. Read Ray Peat and Peskin. Basically they are saying that omega 3 oils were found to be immunosuppressive in the long run as they are so “unstable that they begin to spontaneously oxidize even before they reach the bloodstream”. Plus “the early effects of fish oil on the "immune system" include the suppression of prostaglandin synthesis, because the more highly unsaturated long chain fats interfere with the conversion of linoleic acid into arachidonic acid and prostaglandins”. The question is “Shall we not take fish oil at all or focus on eating low-toxic fish or take only 1gr?” What about cod liver oil then?

Quote Originally Posted by oksanapf View Post
    I am researching this topic too and hear opposing views on Omega 3, how much is safe? I am currently taking 1g, down from 2-3g I used to take. Read Ray Peat and Peskin. Basically they are saying that omega 3 oils were found to be immunosuppressive in the long run as they are so “unstable that they begin to spontaneously oxidize even before they reach the bloodstream”. Plus “the early effects of fish oil on the "immune system" include the suppression of prostaglandin synthesis, because the more highly unsaturated long chain fats interfere with the conversion of linoleic acid into arachidonic acid and prostaglandins”. The question is “Shall we not take fish oil at all or focus on eating low-toxic fish or take only 1gr?” What about cod liver oil then?
    I've read that fish oil supplements are generally inferior to taking in omega 3 in its natural form, from fish.

The immunosuppressive effects you describe for preventing inflammation by arachidonic acid and prostaglandins can be very beneficial, especially for someone with a very strong immune system. I fall into that category.

It's feasible, I suppose, that my intake of omega 3 could have negative effects for someone with a weak immune system.

So I believe this is something that needs to be assessed on an individual-by-individual basis. Still, there will be a minimum RDA for everyone, for adequate support of various vital organ functions.
    Last edited by paleo-bunny; 04-24-2012 at 10:26 AM. Reason: typo

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    As I understand it, our bodies don't generally requite too much omega-3 or omega-6, but since too many of us are eating so much omega-6 in junk food, popping omega-3 helps correct the ratio - but they are both polyunsaturated fats with are volatile and should only comprise a small portion of our fat intake. By focusing heavily on natural sources of saturated and monounsaturated fats and avoiding powerful doses of omega-6, the only omega-3 we'll need can easily come from fish and similar whole food.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

I agree with knifegill. The PB guidelines on omega 3 intake/supplementation, in addition to limiting omega 6, are good for the vast majority of people.

I do consume quite a lot of omega 3 (I eat about 700 g of wild alaskan salmon a week) but I don't supplement with fish oil capsules. So I'm not concerned that I'm going overboard.
    Last edited by paleo-bunny; 04-24-2012 at 10:48 AM. Reason: clarification

oksanapf is offline Junior Member
    Yes, this does make sense, I have already minimized any intake omega 6 foods, thus, will focus on having more servings of fish. Yet, what about pregnancy? They say you need DHA and pregnant women can only eat up to 2 servings of fish per week?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast