Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you use a microwave for leftovers? page

Legerity is offline Junior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Just wondering if people here consider the microwave an acceptable way of heating up leftovers at work the next day?

I tend to bring cold salads to avoid the issue, but it would be nice to have a nice warm lunch instead sometimes. That being said, I was never a big fan of the texture of food after it is microwaved, it seems almost better just to eat it cold.

Brian

Kasey is offline Member

I'll never use a microwave again but that's just me. I'm in search of the highest health possible. They cook at too high a temperature and destroy too many nutrients. They also alter the structure of food and make it nearly unrecognizable by the body.

Microwave some water, let it cool down, water your plants with it and watch what happens.

I don't trust them at all. Some countries have even banned them? They are dangerous in my mind. It's up to you to research it more and believe what you want.

Legerity is offline Junior Member

Kasey, do you just eat all your leftover meat cold?

Brewtality Guest

I use a microwave and see no problem with it. It just uses electromagnetic waves to move the polarity of a water molecule back and forth (note water is naturaly polar molecule, and it doesnt physically change the molecule). That creates the heat.

Its not too much heat. If your food is warm and raw, then the temperature was not high enough to cook it. If your food is overcooked, then it probably did cook at too high a heat. Turn the settings down.

In summation, it shouldnt be any worse than boiling your food. Yes cooking destroys some nutrients, but I like my food cooked.

LX
    LX is offline Senior Member

"Microwave some water, let it cool down, water your plants with it and watch what happens."

This?

http://www.snopes.com/science/microwave/plants.asp

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

I never really seem to have leftovers.

I'm getting rid of my microwave today though. I never really use mine much anymore.

Sherissima is offline Member

Yes, I do! I use it to re-heat leftovers, to defrost frozen meat or meals, and even to steam vegetables (asparagus, for example, takes much less time in the microwave)

Kasey is offline Member

@Legerity I never actually have leftovers. I would warm them up in an oven if I did though. I'll leave the science box to others more daring.

Prowler Guest

They cook at too high a temperature and destroy too many nutrients.

How can it cook at too high a temperature? Do you even understand how a microwave works? It works by heating the water molecules inside the food. It isn't going to heat anything beyond the boiling point of water. Cooking something over a fire (the most primal method of all) is much hotter and causes vastly more chemical changes in the food.

I don't use mine very much anymore, but I have nothing against it.

A word of warning, though. Don't try to re-heat slow-roasted pork belly in the microwave. It will explode. A hot oven works much better for that.

Athena is offline Senior Member

@Kasey- the worst thing that could happen to you with eating food heated by microradiation is you getting awesome superpowers

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast