Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do you use a microwave for leftovers? page 3

Kasey is offline Member

Shop Now

@PrimalJak

"Both of these things are false. Microwaves actually preserve more nutrients, due to the short cooking time and minimal use of water.

Now, it's true that I usually only use my microwave for reheating, but that's because I prefer the texture of traditionally cooked food even though I know I'm losing more nutrients that way."

Would LOVE to see your source for that info... I completely disagree with you. It's all good, I'm sure neither of us is 100% sure ; )

Athena is offline Senior Member

Only bad experience with a microwave, as a kid I put a metal spoon in the microwave with some oatmeal....i screamed as the microwave caught on fire....:-/ Sorry mom!!

AlexK is offline Junior Member

periquin is offline Senior Member

It seems as though no one checked the reference link in the post by LX at the very top of the page. I refer to it again.

http://www.snopes.com/science/microwave/plants.asp

Primal Blueprint---put no poisons in your body.

e.g.---don't use microwaves

But, then again, There are many paths to the top of the mountain.

Tayatha om bekandze

Bekandze maha bekandze

Randza samu gate soha

Kasey is offline Member

I checked LX's link. It showed the plant fed microwaved water died. Then to debunk this, they go on to explain that it was probably due to other factors like "The plants might have been subjected to differing environmental factors (e.g light, heat) due to their placement, or affected differently by external factors (e.g, insects, pets)" They were on the same damn ledge on the window sill, indoors lol.

Then the pictures they take of their own 'experiment' with plants show no progression at all, just one shot... I guess we should just trust that they did the experiment? I'll trust the 10 year old's science fair project over these guys any day.

Anyways, you can prove anything you want on the internet. Here's a random link. http://www.relfe.com/microwave.html

That's all for my input on this conversation. There is no point to continue, I could never be convinced to use a microwave and it's draining my energy for real.

Prowler Guest

The link that LX posted was to Snopes. If you're not familiar with it, it's a site that debunks popular urban legends. If you'll notice, Snopes says that this one is false.

Is being distrustful and suspicious of anything "sciency" an important part of the PB? I might have missed that chapter.

Mark Sisson is offline Administrator

Kent Hawley is offline Junior Member

Not just leftovers. Sometimes I actually cook with a microwave.

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member

FWIW I've stopped microwaving food in plastic containers, but as far as I'm aware all the radation does is heat the water within the food.

No more or less radiation than we get day-to-day, from all kinds of things.

Mind you, I don't use it *every* day. But it is simpler and more efficient to nuke something for a few minutes than heat up a whole oven for little old me...

tylerw Guest

There's a lot of confusion about what exactly a microwave does. I was afraid of microwaves, until I studied electrodynamics as part of my physics degree- and understand exactly what it is much better.

A microwave does produce electromagnetic radiation but it is of a type that is totally harmless to people, or food. Radiation needs to be of a high enough frequency to ionize (damage) organic molecules. Sunlight- for example is ionizing radiation and can theoretically alter DNA and contribute to cancer, but microwaves cannot. In fact, microwaves are much lower energy than the infrared light a normal oven uses to heat.

What a microwave does is cause water molecules to spin and vibrate along with the oscillating electromagnetic field they generate. This movement is exactly what heat is, and the same type of movement occurs in water regardless of how it's heated.

If anything, microwaves are probably the safest and most energy efficient way to cook. Although, I only use it for defrosting frozen items because microwaved food has a terrible texture.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast