Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do you use a microwave for leftovers? page 2

Brewtality Guest

Shop Now

Rofl Athena.

I am going to be microwaving myself periodically for the next day or two now. If you dont hear from me, you should probably contact a mortician.... If you do hear from me, look up, because I am flying by, flipping the bird to all you mear-mortal losers.

Athena is offline Senior Member

Rgr, Ill remind myself not to make you angry, i wouldnt like you when your angry. haha

Anand Srivastava is offline Senior Member

It seems that there is a misconception as to what microwave does. Microwave as the name implies uses microwave radiation.

Microwave is a more efficient way to transfer energy. The longer the wavelength the more easily it can be captured and the energy transferred.

Yes microwave does heat the molecules very fast, and that could be a problem, but it is in no way different than how a pan heats molecules of food. At the lowest level the heat transfer between two atoms happens through radiation only. The waves do get reflected by metals. So you need vessels that are transparent to it. But it need not heat only water molecules.

Prowler Guest

Ovens that cook with microwave radiation - those reckless scientists are really out of control. What's next, an oven that cooks with infrared radiation? There's no way I'm putting food into my body that has been chemically altered by radiation!

piano-doctor-lady is offline Senior Member

I admit to not understanding microwaves. But I visited a site like this once:

http://amasci.com/weird/microwave/voltage1.html

(not this particular one) and when I learned that a microwave heated water by reversing its polarity TWO MILLION TIMES A SECOND, I thought to myself, "I don't know a THING about what it does to anything, and that's my FOOD."

And I gave it away. I don't miss it.

One thing I think a microwave is good for: if you have a sprain or sore muscles, you can put a closed bag of dry uncooked rice in it, warm up the rice, and use it as a heating pad.

Kasey is offline Member

lol Athena ; ) you may be on to something!

To anyone using microwaves, what does your instinct tell you? honestly. Do you open that door, take your food out and think... "man, I did a good thing here" "this is probably the most nutritious way to prepare food!" "I should microwave my salad!"

None of us have all the answers. It's not like I've microwaved things and sent them off to a lab for analysis. I can't prove they are dangerous. I hear they are. They creep me out. I don't have one anymore. If your gut tells you it's good, go for it. For all I know it enhances immunity by challenging it. Maybe it will extend your life.

@Prowler So the exploding food didn't set off a little "hmmmm?" in ya? Ever seen the 'Is it a good idea to microwave this?' show on youtube? hehe.

AlexK is offline Junior Member

@piano-doctor-lady - "microwave heated water by reversing its polarity TWO MILLION TIMES A SECOND"

Err... what? Microwaves don't reverse the polarity of anything. And the website you link to doesn't say that at all.

Now, it does cause water molecules to ROTATE quickly. Just like <i>every other form of heating known to man</i>. Microwaves just do it faster.

Kasey -

"They cook at too high a temperature and destroy too many nutrients. They also alter the structure of food and make it nearly unrecognizable by the body."

Both of these things are false. Microwaves actually preserve more nutrients, due to the short cooking time and minimal use of water.

Now, it&#39;s true that I usually only use my microwave for reheating, but that&#39;s because I prefer the texture of traditionally cooked food even though I know I&#39;m losing more nutrients that way.

Jim
    Jim is offline Junior Member

I&#39;ve never trusted them since I was a kid. One minute, there I was, microwaving some canned potatoes in a bowl. The next, BOOM, the potatoes exploded. The door came off its hinges and I was covered in potato!

That&#39;s pretty much scarred me for life

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member

My home microwave died years ago, and I&#39;ve never replaced it. I just reheat things on the stove or in the toaster oven.

I use the microwave at work sometimes, but I try to minimize it -- not because I&#39;m scared of the microwaving itself, but because I don&#39;t have glass/ceramic containers in which to transport my lunch, and I do think it&#39;s unwise to reheat foods in plastic containers.

Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

kennelmom is offline Senior Member

I don&#39;t use ours very often (now that I&#39;m not nuking bags of Uncle Ben&#39;s 90 second rice! LOL ). We don&#39;t usually have left overs and when we do, DH prefers to re-heat them on the stove/oven...

That said, I don&#39;t have a problem using one and would use it to re-heat.

Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast