Wednesday:
    sprint 6x100m (running)
    5x5 squats, every last rep of each set is almost failure

Thursday: 45 minutes cycling, 60 minutes of regular walking

Friday:
    Repeat monday + 60 minutes walking

Saturday: 6x 100 m sprint
    Will I build muscle like this?

And I appreciate your concern about me being here too much etc but I'm aware of that so you don't have to tell me just ignore me if you're annoyed or anything
    Last edited by Gadsie; 04-24-2012 at 04:50 AM.

badbunny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadsie View Post
    Monday:
    10x5 chest press, every last rep of each set is almost failure
    5x pullups to failure
    10x5 shoulder press, every last rep of each set is almost failure

Tuesday: cycle 45 minutes about 12-13 mph (outside) 60 minutes walking

Wednesday:
    sprint 6x100m (running)
    5x5 squats, every last rep of each set is almost failure

Thursday: 45 minutes cycling, 60 minutes of regular walking

Friday:
    Repeat monday + 60 minutes walking

Saturday: 6x 100 m sprint
    Personally? And some may disagree, you are doing too much.

On the day that you sprint, just do that, don't do weights also.

Cycle or walk not both

Where is your play?
    Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after the other.
    Walter Elliot

I am a horse for a single harness, not cut out for tandem or teamwork; for well I know that in order to attain any definite goal, it is imperative that one person do the thinking and the commanding. Albert Einstein

Forever Young is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by badbunny View Post
    Personally? And some may disagree, you are doing too much.

On the day that you sprint, just do that, don't do weights also.

Cycle or walk not both

Where is your play?
    Yes all of this!!

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    i don't really think you're doing too much, but i agree that you shouldn't sprint and squat on the same day. the fact that you are doing that already tells me that you're not doing them correctly. sprinting wrecks my legs for the day; i can walk or do some light cycling, but no squatting. put the squats on your regular lifting days...it might add some time, but it gets you doing legs twice a week, and full-body workout days will leave you feeling amazing when you're done.
    if you want to work some extra muscles on your sprint day, throw in some core work...planks, bear crawls, dragon flags, planche progressions, etc.
    your moving slowly amounts are pretty good, as long as you're enjoying them. if you're doing them just to get exercise, that seems like a waste of time that could be used for having fun. but, i love bike rides and long walks with my dog, so i count them double as play and moving slowly.

iniQuity is online now Senior Member
    Eat more if you want to put muscle, but the routine doesn't look bad for muscle-building. Check out Training Routines for some routines that are similar to what you're doing, and for some inspiration. Some bad-ass dudes on that forum. The forum is focused mostly on calisthenics, but you can do weights when you need to as well, and also throw on a weight vest when doing calisthenics for extra resistance but do NOT neglect the importance of REST and FOOD. Get plenty of both.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    I rate your exercise routine four and a half whirlygigs.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Gadsie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by primalrob View Post
    i don't really think you're doing too much, but i agree that you shouldn't sprint and squat on the same day. the fact that you are doing that already tells me that you're not doing them correctly. sprinting wrecks my legs for the day; i can walk or do some light cycling, but no squatting. put the squats on your regular lifting days...it might add some time, but it gets you doing legs twice a week, and full-body workout days will leave you feeling amazing when you're done.
    if you want to work some extra muscles on your sprint day, throw in some core work...planks, bear crawls, dragon flags, planche progressions, etc.
    your moving slowly amounts are pretty good, as long as you're enjoying them. if you're doing them just to get exercise, that seems like a waste of time that could be used for having fun. but, i love bike rides and long walks with my dog, so i count them double as play and moving slowly.
    I do the walking for fun, but the cycling is for exercise. Why is that a waste of time? What cośld I do for exercise instead?

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadsie View Post
    I do the walking for fun, but the cycling is for exercise. Why is that a waste of time? What cośld I do for exercise instead?
    it's only a waste of time because you could be doing something you enjoy instead of pumping along on a bike for 45 minutes. spend that time playing. you don't need to exercise more. you've got a good strength training program, you sprint, and you walk a good amount. that's all you need. if not for fun, the only reason to add the biking is to get better at biking. if you do want more exercise, just make it something you enjoy doing, like walking (fun activity: grab a camera and complete a 'photo-a-day' challenge). play a sport, go hiking, skip, dance, etc.

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    If you body is handling the work then great. My big question is what are you doing for play?
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

greenshady is offline Member
    Overall, it's not really too much. It's actually a lot less than the CW folks I know. But, I think it could do with some tweaking.

The following is how I'd change your workout. I didn't add walking in because I think you should be able to add that on whatever days you want without it messing up the rest of your routine. I also switched the two hard upper-body routines to a better two lower-body routines since your lower body will be able to handle the load and recuperate better.

As far as set/reps, I wouldn't do more than 3x5 or 5x5 for any given exercise.

Monday

Squats
    Overhead press or pullups

Tuesday

Cycling if you enjoy it. Otherwise, I'd give the legs a good rest from the intensity of squats from the day before and just go walking.

Wednesday

Bench Press and pullups. I probably wouldn't do overhead press and bench press on the same day. That's a lot of stress on the shoulders.

Thursday

Sprint work

Friday

Deadlifts
    Overhead press or pullups

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast