Thread: Coconut oil and paleo-induced ketosis cause extreme fatigue for me page

TrentMax is offline Junior Member

Question Coconut oil and paleo-induced ketosis cause extreme fatigue for me

Primal Fuel
    I'm a 326 lbs, 35 year old male.

I have started experimenting with coconut oil and pure MCT oil.

The coconut oil causes extreme fatigue for me. For example, in the morning I ate my usual morning meal consisting of a protein shake: 75 g of protein (50% casein, 50% whey). On this meal I usually feel good and don't have to eat again until 2 PM.

But this morning I also added 2 spoonfuls of coconut oil (from Jarrow Formulas).

I became so tired that I fell asleep on my desk, at work! Feel very, very fatigued.

This stuff was supposed to be energizing and make one feel wonderful, that's what everybody says.

Also, one other weird thing: the coconut oil seems to trigger some carb cravings.

The same thing happens when I try to follow the low-carb paleo diet. First comes the massive fatigue, which feels like the coconut oil induced fatigue.

Then, the never-ending horrible low carb flu with headaches, dizzyness, low glycemia, memory loss, inability to pay attention (I almost had an accident while driving because of this). I have tried to continue the low-carb paleo, but the low carb flu seems to never subside. It just goes on and on for weeks - the most I have resisted on it are 3 weeks or so.

I read all these stories of people being on paleo and losing weight successfully. Their experiences seem to be very different from mine.

Do I have a different body type?

What is the matter with me? My body seems to react differently to ketosis and paleo.

It is clear that low-carb paleo doesn't cut it for me. What kind of diet do you recommend?
    Last edited by TrentMax; 04-24-2012 at 01:37 AM.

Meegads is offline Senior Member
    I am very much a newbie (and not a man, so I don't know if that makes a difference, LOL), but I shall try to help. How long have you been eating paleo?

I had a VERY hard time going low-carb when I first started - shakes, fatigue, the works. (I'm primal, by the way - I even eat dairy, in limited amounts.) I found that I did better if I ate when I was hungry, and whatever sounded good - excluding grains and other taboo foods, of course! If I wanted bacon, I ate bacon. If I wanted veggies, I ate veggies. If I wanted a little bowl of Greek yogurt with berries in it, I ate that. For me, the first two weeks was about training my body to eat a certain way, and to get used to burning an alternative fuel source. After a disasterous first few days, I upped my carbs to just under 100g, and upped my fats and protein along with it. The first two weeks, I was eating about 1800-2100 calories per day, with about 60% of those coming from fat, and 15-20% from carbs. As time went by, I found that I could start IF'ing on a limited basis and still feel okay. Now my fat ratio is about the same, but I'm only eating between 1200-1600 calories per day, and my carbs are under 50 most days. My energy level is great, though I do up my carbs a bit on workout days - if I'm too low, I feel fatigued and get very weak about halfway through the workout. I feel like things have really "clicked" the last week or so - but it took several weeks to get here.

Everybody's body is different, and therefore everybody's experience is also different; but I hope you find out a system that works for you and you get to feeling good. I am amazed at the difference in how I feel since I started following PB - even though I didn't start losing weight until just recently, the benefit in my mental and physical energy was well worth the lifestyle change! Good luck! Hopefully some of the paleo/primal gurus will chime in and have some helpful suggestions.
    Last edited by Meegads; 04-24-2012 at 01:52 AM. Reason: Typos - blargh :(
    Life is short. Eat Beef!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    How low are you going with the carbs? I find if I stay under 50g for more than 2 weeks I can barely stay awake. The 50-100g range seems to truly be best for me as Mark suggests and I can still lose some weight.
    Not sure what to say about the CO. How long have you been trying that?