Thread: Katie's Journal - Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Swing page

katiethepiano is offline Senior Member

Katie's Journal - Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Swing

Shop Now
    My name is Katie. I'm 22 years old, I'm a full-time graduate student, a musician, and a newly-minted kettlebell instructor. I've decided to start keeping a journal in honor of my first whole year living the primal life. Allow me to give you the low-down on this past year.

In July of 2010, I hit my peak weight of 211 pounds. I was a victim of chronic cardio - running, running, running, and fueling my running with high-carb, whole grain, low-fat fake foods. I also had issues with hypoglycemia. Being newly engaged, I sought the help of a nutritionist/acupuncturist. She taught me about sugar issues and prescribed a high protein, low-fat, low-carb diet. Instantly, I lost weight, without working out. Using that approach, I got my weight down to 175. I felt better than before, but I still had terrible gas and was very flabby.

I befriended a fellow alumna of my school on Facebook, who just so happened to be a hardstyle kettlebell trainer and a practitioner of the paleo diet. When I saw her, I was amazed. She was lean and muscle-y, and I thought, "Well, she must be doing something right." I purchased a copy of the Primal Blueprint and I've been forever changed. When I started the paleo diet last April, then kettlebell in early May. After beginning kettlebell, I immediately took to it. I thought it was so much fun and I was pretty good at the basic motions, like the swing, the get-up, the clean and press, the snatch, and goblet squat.

Best of all, my husband was behind me 100%. He also eats paleo and loves it. Even when I'm not around, he finds paleo-friendly foods to eat. He knows how much better he feels and he's lost a few pounds too.

In the past year, I've lost the biggest 10 pounds of my life. I currently weigh 165lbs. I'm still considered overweight, but I'm firm. I have muscle definition for the first time in my life. In the 10 pounds I've lost, I went from a size 14 to a size 8/10. I can now do a pull-up. I also got my HKC certification in January. These are things I wouldn't have thought possible two years ago.

But my work isn't done. I can still be leaner and I can still get stronger. I will continue to work and make my body better. My terribly unhealthy father is the best inspiration possible. More on him later.

I'm ready to begin intermittent fasting. Over the past year, I've been eating three square meals a day, with an especially large breakfast and dinner. I'm doing a modified leangains approach. I'm going to try and keep the same eating window everyday, but I have school and work so it may be longer or shorter from day to day. Anyway, I began yesterday. I measured my weight a few days ago and it was exactly 165lbs. I'll weigh again in a few weeks. Here are the details:

Here is my food journal for yesterday. Very small, but I crazy busy. I broke my fast at 2:00pm when I last ate at 8:00pm. Last food of the day was at 7:45pm -
    Katieharrellcapo's Food Diary | MyFitnessPal.com

Here is my food journal for today. Much bigger. Broke my fast at 12:30pm. Last food was at 8:00pm. -

Honestly, I don't care about the scale number, but it's just a way to assess. I know that how I feel is the most important thing. I definitely won't lose sight of that.

Wish me luck!
    Katie
    Visit my blog Primal Homeskillet. And eat it too.

katiethepiano is offline Senior Member
    Hello folks! In addition to experimenting with IF, I'm adding a yeast-cleanse supplement to hopefully eradicate candida overgrowth. I've had acne for my entire life and I want it gone once and for all.

Woke up at 8:00am. My workout was a bunch of heavy swings, goblet squats, push-ups, leg raises, and farmer's walks.

Broke my fast at 11:00am. My husband wanted to go out for breakfast. Our favorite breakfast place always serves a small portion of very yummy sourdough bread, which I slathered in butter.

Dinner was ribs coated in adobo seasoning. I left them in the oven at 200 degrees for almost 5 hours. They were heaven. Had a bunch of kale with it. This meal was at 5:30pm.

See today's journal here:

I worked from 6:00pm-11:45pm. I'm tired.

I'll take the yeast-cleanse when I break my fast tomorrow.
    Last edited by katiethepiano; 04-25-2012 at 08:38 AM.
    Visit my blog Primal Homeskillet. And eat it too.

lucy1984 is offline Senior Member
    Kettlebell Strangelove!

Also great success story Hope the IF goes well. I find some days I can easily get till lunch no food, othr days I am ravenous upon waking. Haven't tried an all day fast yet.