Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lois' Journey with the Primal Blueprint :) page

lolo66 is offline Member

Lois' Journey with the Primal Blueprint :)

Primal Fuel
    Hi! My name's Lois Groendijk, I'm 18, a design student studying in England. I've always been passionate about nutrition and exercise but always found it hard to shed those last few pounds. I currently weigh 150lbs at 5'6, curvy but toned. I'm half dutch and have inherited the broad shoulders and hips but i'm in fairly good shape due to my commitment to exercise and rowing at university. I won't be weighing myself to follow my progress during this journey, but taking body fat percentages instead (as I get very disheartened when the scales don't move, or go the opposite way!

I've been ill with Candida since Christmas and after following a very strict diet but came off the diet in February, thinking that I had rid myself of the bacteria. I went into a binge mode, because I had restricted myself from all sugars, alcohol, chocolate, all the things you would normally enjoy! No suprises then that I gained a few lbs, and I already had a few that I wanted to lose anyway. I'm currently 150lbs, and my aim is to be around 130lbs. The lightest i've been is 138lb, and that was around Christmas time. I know that i've probably gained a few lbs in muscle, but most of that is fat. As stated above, I will be measuring my progress with a body fat percentage machine. I have been following this lifestyle for two weeks now. I weighed myself last Monday, and when I weighed myself this morning, I had put on 2lbs, and have now spent the whole day being really naughty! I've just spent the whole day eating chocolate and cereal, which has prompted me to start a blog on here, so that I can hopefully monitor my eating and gain support from all you lovely people! I'm really needing support right now, as I am finding it difficult. It's not the eating so much, but i'm currently living at home at the moment, as I had to leave University from burning myself out and being ill (and a little depressed from it.) I'm in my house, all day, every day at the moment, and any of the snacking that I am doing is from boredom. I'm trying to occupy myself as much as possible but I do get very bored. I've been taking my friends dog out for long walks regularly, to get some fresh air and a change of scenery, but the weather is horrible at the moment (great thing about living in England!) but I may just go out in the rain. I used to work part time in a Design Gallery so I may see if I can work there once a week to earn a bit of extra cash and I was also thinking about volunteering in the local charity shop. I just need to get a bit of routine back in my life again!

My goals are:
    To avoid all wheat, legumes and dairy (apart from butter occasionally, if that counts)
    To go out walking as often as possible
    To weight lift 3 times a week
    To get rid of the spots and scarring I currently have on my face
    To get down to around 20% body fat percentage (I don't have a concrete goal, just going by how I feel and look)
    To have more energy (I'm really struggling with this at the moment from being ill)
    To feel confident about myself again
    To look fantastic for when I go back to university in May/June!

Please message me everyone!

No one dies of a bread deficiency.

Samuel Beckett's, as well: 'Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.'

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53914-4.html

lolo66 is offline Member
    So my days have generally been looking a bit like this currently:

10:30 Wake up
    I'll have a cup of herbal tea and take my tablets and often get dressed etc..
    12:00 Then I don't normally eat 'breakfast' (but more like lunch!) until 12ish. This is always a 2 egg omelette cooked in coconut oil with ham, garlic, courgettes, tomatoes, peppers, anything I can find in my fridge really. Then i'll either have a side salad (spinach/lettuce leaves, cucumber, tomatoes and extra virgin olive oil) or 2 slices of bacon, or both if i'm really hungry!
    3:00 Then often at about 3 or 4ish i'll have a small bite to eat. This could be a can of tuna, or a tuna/fish salad if i'm really hungry. Lately it's been too much dark chocolate :/ but it's all gone now so I won't be tempted anymore (it was 90% cocoa though, so it could be worse!)
    7:00 I normally eat dinner between 6:30-7:30 and that's always primal approved. It will be either a piece of meat or fish (organic or wild where possible) with lots of fresh vegetables! I generally avoid potatoes where possible, but I will always have 1 roast potato in a Sunday, it's my Sunday treat I don't eat them during the week though, and i'm not drinking any alcohol at the moment, so i'm not racking any calories up there. I also make sure to limit starchy vegetables like carrots and parsnips, but that's not too difficult, as I had to limit them on the Candida diet anyway.

Anyway, I want to change this eating pattern a bit and get a better structure happening. My aim is to wake up with the sun ( I really hate the sound of my alarm clock- it scares me to death every morning!) I know the PB is all about intuition, and not having to stick to a strict plan, but I am a meticulous planner and i'm finding it difficult without any structure to my day at the moment. I want to get up at about 8ish, eat breakfast at about 9, lunch at about 1 and dinner at about 6:30-7:00. If i'm not hungry then I will either fast or eat a small meal or a little later than I normally would. I'm aiming to eat around 1200-1400 calories a day, some days this may be a lot more, some days I know that I will find it hard to reach. I'd love to lose 2lbs of fat a week, but i'd be very happy with 1lb a week (thinking realistically)
    How's everyone else doing? Hope you're all thinking positive and reaching your goals!

Samuel Beckett's, as well: 'Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.'

Hedonist2 is offline Senior Member
    Welcome Lolo! Sounds like you are doing well.
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

My MDA Friday success story - Stubborn Senior's Testimonial

lolo66 is offline Member
    So yesterday was a bit of an odd day. I didn't get up until really late, so skipped breakfast all together and waited for lunchtime to come. I then had a 2 egg omelette with lots of vegetables and fresh ham and a side salad drizzed with extra virgin olive oil. My usual but delicious as always! I felt really awful early afternoon, thumping headache and tiredness so went back to sleep for 3 hours! I thought I was getting better but the tiredness is still an issue. Ive been going to bed at around 11 most nights, but I think i'm going to try to be in bed for 10, and then read until i'm tired, which is usually about half an hour. They say that it's good to wind down before bed. I then had a small bowl of strawberries and dinner or smoked salmon fillet, roasted peppers and onion and carrots (a bit of a mish mash dinner but was using the contents of the fridge!) Late evening I had a cup of green and blacks organic cocoa (only cocoa powder, no added sugar or other crap!) with coconut milk and a little cow's milk. It was the first time I had this and it was lovely. I hadn't eaten a lot and my fat percentage was a little low, so although I don't usually have a snack in the evening, this was a nice treat and the coconut milk boosted my fat grams nicely. Let's hope the tiredness is a little better today.

lolo66 is offline Member
    I've been researching a bit about FODMAPs and a lot of it is making sense. I always get a bloated, gassy stomach after eating onions, any wheat products, any dairy, dark chocolate, etc, and these all come under FODMAP foods. I often get the same feeling after eating my morning omelette, and I think it may be the garlic I put in it. So I'm going to cut the following foods out for a while and see how I feel:

Garlic
    Asparagus
    Leeks
    Onions
    Brussel Sprouts
    Dairy
    Caffeine (coffee and dark chocolate :'( )
    Apples
    Pears
    My strawberry protein shake
    I also find that nuts give me a bit of a bubbly stomach so i'll watch these as well, although I haven't see them on the FODMAP list.

Brocolli, avocado and Coconut milk also come under this list, but I eat these foods regularly and don't seem to have any digestion issues with them. I will leave these in my diet for the time being, see the results from cutting the above foods, and if I feel discomfort after eating these three foods, I will cut them out of my diet and them try and reintroduce them later on. Cabbage is also on the list but I have low stomach acid at the moment and i've read that sauerkraut has the amazing ability to correct stomach acid levels (be it high or low) so i'll be trying that out. (I'm also taking hcl tablets to correct this) Again if this gives me problems, i'll cut it out my diet.

FODMAP friendly foods that I eat regularly are spinach, strawberries, blueberries, bean sprouts, bell peppers, courgette and tomatoes so i'll make extra effort to eat lots of these foods.

For anyone who has the same issues and wants to read up on it, this is where I got my info from: Crystal Nelson: The Road to Digestive Health Continues...

Grok on

Edit: Just ate some lovely strawberries, but they gave me a bubbly stomach, so looks like they're going on the bad list for a while.
    Last edited by lolo66; 04-25-2012 at 10:08 AM.

lolo66 is offline Member
    So today has been a lot better than yesterday. I had about 11 hours sleep :O- sounds ridiculous but I needed it! I haven't felt half as tired as I usually would- started to get a bit sleepy at about 5, but then had something to eat at 6:30 and I seem to have perked up a bit.

B/L- 2 egg omelette with garlic, courgette, ham, basil and pumpkin seeds + 1 slice bacon + side salad of spinach, cucumber and extra virgin olive oil

S-Strawberry protein shake with fresh strawberries

D- Chicken breasts with beansprouts and stir fry veg + half an avocado + 1 teaspoon sacla sauce cooked in butter.
    My stomach rumbled a bit after this meal so i'm not sure what I ate that caused this. Could either be the beansprouts or avocado, although I eat avocado regularly and I don't think it's ever caused be any bother. I'll be eating this meal tomorrow again, but without the avocado, so i'll see if I get the same problems again.

Drinks- plenty of water (with grapefruit seed extract) and herbal tea

Supplements-
    Probiotic x 2
    Pure fish oil x 1
    Zinc 15mg x 2
    Vitamin B x 1
    HCL acid (increasing amount all the time) Morning- 292mg Evening- 2600mg
    Milk Thistle x 1
    Oregano oil x 1
    L Glutamine 1000mg x 2

Most of these tablets are being taken because of the Candida that I had. I'm currently phasing myself off them. Once the Vit B's, Zinc ,Milk Thistle and Oregano have run out, I won't buy any more, but I am going to start taking Vit D, as living in England you don't really get a lot of sun! It's been raining all day every day for ages now!

Day 1 caffeine free
    Last edited by lolo66; 04-25-2012 at 12:17 PM.

lolo66 is offline Member
    I've been reading through a lot of other journals today, and i've learnt so much from them. Lex's journal was particularly insightful, as she's going through a lot of the same things as me at the moment. She's been researching a lot about adrenal fatigue and how eating extremley low carb is acutally more damaging to your health than helpful and having this adrenal problem makes it harder to lose weight. I'm going to look into upping my carbs slightly, as at the moment i'm in a permanent state of ketosis without trying to be. Fruit doesn't seem to agree with me at the moment, so i'm eating as little as possible (and only berries when I do) and i'll have a couple of servings of starchy vegetables a week but that's it.

Food for today:
    B- Usual 2 egg omelette but today with ham, a tiny bit of chicken breast, courgette, basil and devon sea salt cooked in coconut oil with salad.

L- Dinner from yesterday (chicken and stir fry veg)

S- Turkey breast, couple of chicken legs (with skin- have read that eating the skin is not good due to high omega 6 levels, anyone know anymore about this?) couple of strawberries and raspberries

D- Local beef burger, another chicken leg, spinach, cucumber, tomatoes and extra virgin olive oil

I ate a little more today, but I felt that I needed it. I went shopping and walked for several hours with heavy bags so I think I needed the extra snacks. Probably could have done without the extra chicken leg at dinner though. I felt pleasantly full from dinner but the chicken legs that I had earlier were so good that I couldn't stop thinking about them until I ate another one. I really need to learn not to do this! But at least it was a chicken leg and not something sugary! Also, I managed to walk past the dark chocolate on offer in Waitrose today, as I've cut out caffeine and cocoa for a bit and also didn't sit down to have a coffee in Costa, so I'm very proud of myself for that!

Supplements: Usual + 2 calcium/magnesium tablets. I've been struggling with my sleep lately, which is really unlike me! Being a typical student and teenager I can usually sleep for England and i've never in the past had any sleeping issues. Lately I'll get tired at around 7/8ish but push past it. Last night I had the best intentions and went to bed at 10 and then read for half an hour. I felt tired enough to sleep, but I just couldn't drift off. I'm not sure if it's due to having things going on in my head or not, but I couldn't sleep for ages. I don't look at the clock as I start worrying, but I reckon it must have been between 12 and 1 before I drifted off. I woke at half 9 though, so still got decent hours in. Anyway, i've read that taking magnesium helps with sleeping 9and when I had a testing, I was low in magnesium, so I'm trying this out to see if it works.

Food thoughts for tomorrow:
    Usual breakfast with new ham
    I still have a chicken leg left so i'll probably have that with some salad for lunch
    Plenty of choice for dinner: will probably have some fish as i've had lots of meat in the last few days, particularly today!

Also, had awful stomach cramps after drinking the coconut milk last night, they lasted all night and i've felt really bloated all day today, can barely button my jeans, so it looks like that's off the menu for a while. I think I may cut out all fruit as well, as my stomach never seems that happy after eating it (and it's only ever normally strawberries, nothing too taxing on the digestive system)

Also think i'm going to have a look into meditation, think that could really help with my stress levels at the moments, and the unusual negativity that i'm going through

Day 2 caffeine free

lolo66 is offline Member
    27th April 2012

Getting to sleep took a long time again last night. I was in bed at 8:30 as I was sooo tired, read until just after nine, then snuggled up feeling ready to go to sleep but couldn't. Took some of my mum's herbal drops and eventually managed to get to sleep, at about 12. Woke up at 9 with a headache, so went back to sleep at didn't wake up till 11 again! felt good though

Food for today:

B/L- Usual 2 egg omelette with ham and veg, salad with e.v. olive oil

Afternoon- 1 chicken leg, some boiled carrots, then felt really hungry a few hours later (very unusual, I was craving sugary foods, but managed to resist the Haagen Dazs!) so had a chocolate protein shake and a can of tuna

Planned dinner- Chicken breast coated in nutritional yeast, some kind of veg. I'm trying to up my carb intake a little to about 50g, so will probably have some mashed parsnip, or maybe a few potatoes.

Dinner: Chicken breat coated in nutritional yeast and spices, mashed parsnip with butter (yum!) roasted red pepper and sauerkraut.

Cals: est 1500
    Pro: 134g (wow!)
    Fat: 80g
    Carbs: 64g

Supplements: Usual

Day 3 caffeine free
    Last edited by lolo66; 04-27-2012 at 12:03 PM.

lolo66 is offline Member
    28th April 2012

Last night's sleep was a lot better. In bed at about 11:30, then read for a while until sleeply, and think I fell asleep fairly quickly. Woke up at 10:00 so had a lovely long sleep and feel pretty good this morning.

B/L- Usual omelette with veg, 2 slices bacon (yum!) and side salad

I've got some kale in the fridge so I really want to make some kale chips later. I've got some nutritional yeast so i'll flavour them with that. I really am too excited about this I found kale quite bitter when I tried to steamed, so i'll be really happy if these turn out well.

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Welcome to the journals, Lois. It is really a great place to keep yourself going when things are hard.
    Yes, eat the skin! Get free-range if you are worried about omega-6.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast