Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Lois' Journey with the Primal Blueprint :) page 5

lolo66 is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    Oh and I broke the family food processer so won't be able to make my sesame and sunflower seed crispy bites for a while. *sob* :'(
    Last edited by lolo66; 05-07-2012 at 02:37 PM.

No one dies of a bread deficiency.

Samuel Beckett's, as well: 'Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.'

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53914-4.html

lolo66 is offline Member
    Food plan for tomorrow:

B/L- I read on someone's journal today that apparently frying can cause inflammation and my skin does look a little red at the momet, so I was thinking of making a change to my normal brunch. I could either have boiled egg and/or bacon, or we have trout and mackerel fillets, so could make a salad with that. When we go food shopping I may buy the ingredients to make the spinach quiche again as that was really nice, although nuts do give me a stomach ache normally (although I didn't notice it with the pine nuts in the recipe) Then again they were blitzed in the blender, but it's broken at the moment, so I could either put them in whole or find something else to put in it. I'll have to do a bit of research for some other recipes. I've also got some lovely ham so I could possibly do some kind of egg bake with spinach and ham?? Time to be creative!

Snacks?? I've got some dark chocolate but have been eating too much of that lately (can't wait for TOTM to go- always makes me crave chocolate and ice cream!) I've also got some seeds

Dinner: Will definitely have salmon. I think we have some parsnips from the farm shop so will probably mash them will butter and/or curry powder.

I've definitely noticed physical changes in myself. I'm starting to feel slim again. My face looks like it's slimmed out as well. I haven't weighed myself since wednesday, when I was 148.4lbs, and i'm trying not to as I get discouraged if I haven't lost a lot, or none at all. I'm debating whether to weigh myself on wednesday to see how much I lose in a week but I will probs have TOTM then so it may not give an accurate reading.
    Last edited by lolo66; 05-07-2012 at 02:37 PM.

Samuel Beckett's, as well: 'Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.'

lolo66 is offline Member
    I took my measurements this morning for future reference:
    Chest: 35" (loose)
    Ribcage: 29.5"
    Waist: 28"
    Bellybutton/hips 35"
    Thighs: 38"
    Arm (bicep) : 11"

Before putting on the weight my waist was 27.5, my hips 33, my thigh 36.5 and my chest 34" so they're the measurements I want to get back to, and then i'll work out new goals from there.

rachel91 is offline Junior Member
    I'm from a village in Oxfordshire, the countryside around is great for walking in Sorry to hear about your adrenals, I have thyroid problems and before I started the medication always used to feel sluggish and tired all the time. Am I right in thinking the symptoms of burn out are similar? I really feel like I am not getting enough sleep at the moment and I'm tired all the time which worries me

On a lighter note, you have inspired me to start taking photos of my food! :P

lolo66 is offline Member
    @ Rachel91
    Nice, i've never been there before. Yes I think adrenals and thyroid function together (although I don't really know a lot about it so may be wrong) so often when the adrenals are having a hard time, the thyroid suffers too. I've had my thyroid tested by the doctor and the blood test came out ok luckily.

I just found this on Healing Naturally With Bee's website (I use this a lot):

Thyroid and adrenal malfunction are the main causes of low metabolic energy in the body, which in turn can be caused by candida overgrowth. This is because candida puts out over 79 different kinds of toxins that makes all the body cell membranes go rigid, or stiff.

Every process that goes on inside our bodies requires energy – specifically, metabolic energy. When the body doesn't have enough energy to function properly, each component of the body will malfunction in its own unique way.

For example, if the brain has too little energy, thought processes such as memory and focus become impaired. The body needs energy to keep itself warm — a low body temperature, therefore, usually accompanies low metabolic energy.

Symptoms of Low Metabolic Energy

Although many of the symptoms below seem unrelated, they may all stem from the same root problem of low metabolic energy.
    1. General - Low body temperature. Coldness. Low Energy or Fatigue. Weight problems (can't lose or gain it). Slow healing.

2. Brain - Depression. Anxiety. Poor memory, focus, or concentration. Sleep disorders.

3. Immune system - Under-Reactive or Over-Reactive: Frequent infections (skin, sinus, bladder, bowel, yeast problems, etc.). Allergies. Auto-immune diseases.

4. Musculoskeletal - Fatigue. Fibromyalgia (muscle or joint pains). Generalized aches/pains. Repetitive use injury and carpal tunnel syndrome. Weak connective tissues (ligaments, bones, etc). Headaches.

5. Sexual - Loss of Libido and function. Menstrual disorders. Infertility.

6. Vascular - Low blood pressure. High blood pressure. Raynaud's disease.

7. Bowels - Connstipation. Gas or bloating. Digestive disorders, Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)

8. Nervous system - Numbness of hands and/or feet. Dulling or loss of senses such as vision, taste or smell.

9. Skin - Dry. Acne. Pallor in light skin, darkening or dark patches in dark skin.

10. Hair - Hair loss, brittle, coarse, dry or oily.

I had candida which then led to adrenal fatigue (I haven't been tested for adrenal fatigue but I have the symptoms and am going to see a kinisiologist to help me with this) I had 1,2,3,4,7,8,9 off that list posted above and am still recovering from most of the symptoms, but they are getting a lot better. If you have some of these symptoms go and get yourself checked out! The doctors are absolutely rubbish!!! cannot emphasise that more. They do not recognise candida for one, and when i've been to see them several times they just want to put me on anti depressants! which is just covering one of the symptoms and not dealing with the problem!! ahh it fustrates me so much. It was only when I went to have a food intolerance test that I was diagnosed with candida, and then I went to have a colonic done and was rediagnosed with it. Luckily my mum had the same thing and is knowledgable on alternative therapy so she recommended going to have a food intolerance test. If not for her, I would still be taking IBS tablets (which are rubbish. given to me by the uni doctor, who told me to continue eating grains, dairy, etc, even though i'd been tested as intolerant) and anti depressants (suggested by my doctor at home) I feel a lot better for eating primally and i'm sure that you will feel the same benefits. It may be worth addressing the rowing. I was in the same position as you- I loved my rowing and stubbornly refused to give it up, even when my parents were warning me down the phone that I was going to burn myself out (which I eventually did and am now having to redo the year at uni as a result)

Sorry for the rant!

Taking photos is a great way of recording what you've eaten. I've stored them all in a folder on my laptop and when i'm deciding what ingredients to buy I have a look at the photos to remind myself of what tasted good!

lolo66 is offline Member
    Found this useful information today. In bold= things i'm doing:

How to Help Your Adrenals
    1. The most important way to help your adrenals is to eat a diet that is nutrient-rich and is high in animal meats, fish and eggs, and high in good fats, with a low-carb intake. The ratios of protein to fats to carbs are according to The Optimal Diet (by Dr. Jan Kwasniewski) ratios–see Calculate Food Ratios, since fats are particularly important for adrenal function as noted above.
    2. Do not consume "alien proteins and fats" which clog up the endocrine system. Alien proteins include fractionated amino acids, hydrolyzed protein, processed protein powders, etc. "Alien fats" include all vegetable oils and fats (except olive oil), i.e. margarine, and oils and fats derived from such plants as canola (rape seed), soybean, safflower, corn, etc.
    3. Do not consume caffeine, i.e. coffee, caffeinated tea, chocolate, soft drinks, etc.

4. Do not consume sugar, sugar substitutes, honey, molasses, and all forms of it, including fruits (except small amounts of lemon and lime).
    5. Do not consume high–carb foods such as grains, legumes (beans or peas from pods), vegetables high in carbs, sugars or starch, i.e. most roots vegetables like potatoes, carrots, beets, most squash, etc.
    6. Eat liver at least twice a week to obtain enough B vitamins, and eat foods that are high in vitamin C, i.e. meats, broccoli, green peppers, greens, lemons, parsley, cabbage, kale, cauliflower, etc.
    7. Ensure you have at least 1.5 teaspoons of good ocean sea salt daily which is very important for the adrenal glands, i.e. Celtic brand available at Selina Naturally, or a less expensive ocean sea salt like this one Le Paludier – Organic Unrefined Coarse Grey Sea Salt, which is available in many health stores and online. Ocean sea salt provides proper amounts of sodium and chloride, which are two of the seven macrominerals required in higher amounts by the body, along with over 84 other trace minerals.
    8. Do Dry Skin Brushing daily to detoxify your adrenals. It is very effective in stimulating and decongesting the lymphatic system, and helps the liver and adrenal glands function better. It exercises the lymphatic system, and gets it flowing and moving properly. Also see these Mild Forms of Exercise.
    9. Cup your hand and tap hard on the skin overlapping the adrenal glands for 2 minutes daily. Your adrenal glands are located just above the kidneys on either side of your body near your waist.
    10. Stand in the shower with your back facing the spray, allowing it to beat down on your adrenals (just above your kidneys). Do this once a day for 3 minutes in the hottest water you can stand, followed by 30 seconds of the coldest water.
    11. Do reflexology: The reflex points are located 2 inches above and 1 inch to the right side of the belly button, and also 1 inch to the left side of the belly button. Rub these two points vigorously for 1 minute 3 times a week. These spots will probably be tender if the adrenals are malfunctioning.
    12. Thump your thymus gland to stimulate it. The thymus gland is an important part of Lymphatic System, which helps the body detoxify itself. It is located underneath the top of the breast bone.
    To thump it, use your knuckles and thump gently but firmly on the top of your breast bone–see this image of the Immune System for its location. Gently thump about 10 times in a row. Do this a few times a day to wake up your thymus gland.
    13. Stay off medications containing cortisone and epinephrine. If you are taking them you need to wean yourself off of them gradually. They are extremely toxic/poisonous.
    14. Get out in the fresh air and let fresh air circulate in your home. Air charged with "good" ions, called "negative ions", is healing to the adrenals. This kind of air is abundant in the forest and mountains, and at the seashore. Showers also provide these good ions.
    15. Get plenty of sleep–see How to Improve Insomnia/Sleep.
    16. Decrease stresses in your life as much as possible. During stressful times lie down and relax. Place your hands on your forehead over your eyebrows, and stay like that for 10 minutes. Also Deep Breathing Exercises Help You Heal that are calming and relaxing, which switches your body over from running on its sympathetic nervous system (the fight/flight nervous system) to its healing parasympathetic nervous system.
    Last edited by lolo66; 05-08-2012 at 06:42 AM.

lolo66 is offline Member
    So according to the article above (taken from Bee's website) I need to improve the following:

1. Don't eat any sugar (I've been having the occasional bit of ice cream which I need to stop as that's packed with it. I also eat the occasional bit of dark chocolate but it is 90% as it's my treat so when I need some i'm not going to deprive myself of it. I usually only need it during TOTM.
    2. No starchy veg. I've got parsnips and sweet potato in the fridge but once they've gone I won't buy any more. I thought eating low carb was bad for adrenals but obviously not.
    3. Not more fruit either.
    4. Eat liver
    5. I do dry skin brush but not everyday- more like once or twice a week.
    6. Cup your hand and tap hard on the skin overlapping the adrenal glands for 2 minutes daily.
    7. Stand in the shower with your back facing the spray, allowing it to beat down on your adrenals
    8. Do reflexology
    9. Thump your thymus gland to stimulate it.
    10. Take time during the day to meditate/breathe deeply and relax

lolo66 is offline Member
    Food for today:

08-05-12.jpg

Brunch was 2 boiled eggs with 2 rashers bacon and a bowl of spinach. I found this just as filling, if not more filling than my usual omelette.

IMG_0048.jpg

Snack was 2 slices of ham and roasted seeds covered with e.v. olive oil and nutritional yeast

IMG_0049.jpg

Dinner was supposed to be salmon but I forgot to take it out the freezer so just had tuna salad instead with courgette, tomatoes, green beans, sundried tomatoes, olives and olive oil. Also cooked some yummy sweet potato chips in coconut oil and garam masala. My new favourite food!

Thoughts for tomorrow:

B- Probably the same as today
    S- seeds/ham?
    - Salmon with green beans and spinach?

lolo66 is offline Member
    After some scrounging around the kitchen today, i've decided that brunch tomorrow will be mackerel, with hardboiled eggs and spinach and other salad items. If the food processor was working I could make some mayonnaise to go with the fish. Sad times

I'm not sure if I haven't been eating enough fat but I tend to get hungry around 9-10pm, several hours after dinner. This evening I had 2 squares 90% cocoa, half a slice of ham, and then some pure cocoa straight out the pot (yep 100% cocoa powder, with cocoa being the only ingredient, I can handle the bitter taste now!) I made some cocoa with water (yes was very watery and a bit blehh...) but then dipped a teaspoon of cocoa powder into it and the powder tasted like melted chocolate. was nice! What suprised me was that the cocoa has 30g of fibre per 100g. Never realised it was so full of fibre! And it only has 345 cals / 100g so it's low in calories too.

I had around 80g of fat today, so i'm not sure if it's too low? I think i'll experiment with increasing it by 10g or so and see if it helps. I find that when i'm lying in bed trying to get to sleep, and it is taking a while at the moment, my stomach is softly rumbling, not a proper rumble but it feels like it wants food, yet when I wake up in the morning i'm not hungry at all and have to wait a few hours to eat. I'm not sure if that feeling is just my food digesting?
    Last edited by lolo66; 05-08-2012 at 02:42 PM.

lolo66 is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    So went to see the Kinisiologist today. It turns out I have a really weak liver, weak lungs, weak adrenals and something going on in my head that isn't right. I've had pressure in my head for years that affects my sinus so it may be something to do with that. She says to focus repairing the liver beforing attempting to heal the adrenals, so that's my focus for this month. She's told me to take vitamin B2, B12, and copper glycinate. I'm sure that my skin will clear up once my liver is happy again. I've also started using coconut oil on my problem areas, so will update how that is going. I feel so much better now that i've gone to see someone and I have someone at the end of the phone to answer my questions. It's such a relief!

Food for today:
    B- IF
    Lunch- 1.5 mackerel fillets with a hardboiled egg, sundried tomatoes, olives and spinach.
    Snack- 4 small chicken thighs. Several small pieces Green and Blacks 85% dark chocolate.
    Dinner- Smoked salmon fillet topped with herbs and olive oil, mashed parsnips with curry powder, green beans and a roasted green pepper.

Lunch:

IMG_0050.jpg

I've now stopped taking several supplements and started taking some new ones. Update:

Probiotics (although i'll run out of these tomorrow! Need to get some more)
    Milk thistle 325mg x 2
    Fish oil 1000mg
    Calcium + magnesium x 4
    Vitamin D 5000 iu
    Aloe Vera 25ml x 2
    Digestive Enzyme, 2 with each meal, 1 with a snack
    Oregano oil (will stop taking these when they run out)
    Liqourice root (ditto above)
    Zinc (ditto above)
    Last edited by lolo66; 05-09-2012 at 11:41 AM.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast