Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: After giving up grains/dairy what happens if you relapse? page

SB1
    SB1 is offline Junior Member

Question After giving up grains/dairy what happens if you relapse?

Primal Fuel
    Hi guys,

I have not yet gone primal but am planning to with your advice...

A few weeks ago I gave up dairy and felt great! And then I relapsed. At first I noticed my reaction to dairy was slightly worse than when I ate it normally. This reaction has now subsided as I've re-assimilated dairy back into my diet- but I'd only given it up for a week. (Although this was after I became more aware of the effect of dairy- I had no idea before)

What happens if I give up dairy for longer periods i.e. a month- will I have a really bad reaction?

The same question goes for grains. Being a 21-year old student (who's moving to Italy for a few months-land of dairy and carbs) its going to be nigh on impossible NOT to relapse so I don't want to be rushed to hospital in Rome after chowing down on pasta/pizza

Thanks!
    Last edited by SB1; 04-23-2012 at 02:24 PM.

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    I gave up grains for 50 days. Last night I had a wheat product. Nothing happened, but I think that is because I don't have a negative reaction to wheat. You might be different. You could develop cramps, diarrhea, etc. Or you could be fine. You never know until you eat wheat again (or other grains you give up).

dairy, probably the same scenario. No issues or major issues... all you can do is experiment and see what happens and make your decisions from there.

Have fun in Italy! And good luck following the PB when you get there. I'll be an interesting journey, I'm sure!
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

GrokON is offline Senior Member
    Wheat starts cravings and skin/scalp inflammation for me. It really isn't worth it to relapse. It does have to be in significant enough quantity to cause a problem - like bread or pasta. A little "hidden flour" won't do it for me to have any issue. So it is pretty manageable, even when eating out during travel.
    5'6" Female, 29 Years Old, 260/195/120

"Discipline is choosing between what you want NOW, and what you want MOST!"

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    I did a dairy free experiment (30 days of 0 dairy, slowly added in different categories several days apart to gauge reaction) and found out that I tolerate it very well.

Grains make me sick now. Physically sick. I ate them all my life without realizing I didn't tolerate them well. Hope this doesn't happen to you in Italy.

lssanjose is offline Senior Member
    I relapsed badly, last year. I think, wildly, it may have jump started my skin allergies. These days, I avoid wheat, like the plague.
    If you have a problem with what you read: 1. Get a dictionary 2. Don't read it 3. Grow up 4. After 3, go back to 1/ or 2. -- Dennis Blue. | "I don't care about your opinion, only your analysis"- Professor Calabrese. | "Life is more important than _______" - Drew | I eat animals that eat vegetables -- Matt Millen, former NFL Linebacker. | "This country is built on sugar & shit that comes in a box marinated in gluten - abc123

parakeet is offline Member
    I think it depends on the individual. I gave up dairy last Nov. Sat. I had one bite of homemade ice cream and by the next morning I had a relapse of the itchy skin rash and welts on my stomache. I won't do that again. It's just not worth it the discomfort.

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    I notice the affects of grains now, where before I didn't since I constantly felt foggy and tired.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    I also think that you are over estimating the amount of pasta and pizza that is eaten in Italy. I haven't been there for a while, but I remember that pasta was a much smaller portion of the food over there than it is at an Italian restaurant here. Also the pizza was completely different- no thick crust at all. I think you'll be fine- you can indulge in smaller amounts, or you can find something else entirely to eat. I'm sure they have it.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Some people have no reaction. It makes them wonder why they gave grains up in the first place. Other people have severe reactions. Other Grumpy Cavemen have mixed, unpredictable reactions, ranging from stuffed up sinuses the next morning to tons and tons of gas, to nothing at all.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

ASmallOne is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    with relapses, try also to "put it in the past" as opposed to "making up for it"... it's easier to get back on the train than turn it around... i always struggle with trying to make up for a mistake and end up making more mistakes!
    Check out my new webpage: The Carnivore Runner
    Friend me on "The Facebook"
    Follow me on Twitter!

For customized training / nutritional plans for runners from a former athlete who has personal experience in dealing with severe food allergies, please email me at foxATtinybikeDOTnet. I am ISA certified as a personal trainer and have coached many runners at the recreational or young-competitor level to towards their goals! Most of all, I'd love to help you with yours.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast