Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question re: fuel and weight loss page

Lemmmmon is offline Junior Member

Question Question re: fuel and weight loss

Primal Fuel
    Hi All,

I'm new to the primal/paleo lifestyle and am having trouble wrapping my brain around how weight loss occurs with re-adjusted macros - that is, more fat, less carbs - but no significant change in calories consumed.

On a basic level, our body needs some thing to burn as fuel. If I consume 400 calories of carbs, how does that differ from 400 calories of fat? The way I understand it, the 400 calories of fat doesn't spike blood sugar, making me less hungry/lessens my "itching" for the next hit of food. As a result, I consumer fewer overall calories because of hunger depletion if I stick to a 50/30/20 (fat/protein/carb) split than a more traditional 20/30/50 split. But then isn't the primal/paleo diet just using calorie reduction as a mechanism for weight loss?

My guess is that you'll say no, it's not.....then I would ask, other than why, is it that the body processes fat such that when consumed, it doesn't release insulin? And if so, given insulin's role in "unlocking pores....[so that] nutrients can be stored inside the cell" (quoting primal blueprint book), wouldn't this be a negative thing?

Thanks to anyone who can explain this in plain terms for me....

Voyageur is offline Senior Member

You've got the basics down.

I suggest you ignore much of what you're going to be told here. I just heard a bunch of cookies hit computer desks.... and away we go!

There is a huge difference between talking about how to do something and getting it fucking done.

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemmmmon View Post
    Hi All,

I'm new to the primal/paleo lifestyle and am having trouble wrapping my brain around how weight loss occurs with re-adjusted macros - that is, more fat, less carbs - but no significant change in calories consumed.
    Dr Rosedale, a portion of Boston Speech at the Heinz Conference - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by Lemmmmon View Post
    On a basic level, our body needs some thing to burn as fuel. If I consume 400 calories of carbs, how does that differ from 400 calories of fat? The way I understand it, the 400 calories of fat doesn't spike blood sugar, making me less hungry/lessens my "itching" for the next hit of food. As a result, I consumer fewer overall calories because of hunger depletion if I stick to a 50/30/20 (fat/protein/carb) split than a more traditional 20/30/50 split. But then isn't the primal/paleo diet just using calorie reduction as a mechanism for weight loss?
    The body doesn't burn calories. It burns ATP.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

Lemmmmon is offline Junior Member
    Thank you all so much for the resources!! Much appreciated

jakey is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Voyageur View Post

You've got the basics down.

I suggest you ignore much of what you're going to be told here. I just heard a bunch of cookies hit computer desks.... and away we go!

agreed, you understand this better than half the hacks on here. get ready for the BS to flow. calories count. macros are important to the extent they keep you healthy and feeling full. but to lose weight, you need to be in a caloric deficit.

Analog6 is offline Senior Member
    Terranora, far north coast NSW, Australia
    Carbohydrates trigger an insulin response and fats and proteins do not. That is it. A calorie is simply a measure (and a very crude and unsatisfactory one, IMHO) of the energy of the food.

Read Taubes, Bernstein, Eades, Briffa, Atkins. They all understood and have codifed somewhat the metabolic advantage gained by reducing the % of carbs in the diet.

Useful Blogs:
    Weight of the Evidence
    Protein Power - Eades
    Jimmy Moore's blog
    Odille
    F 58 / 170cms / SW 131.5 kgs / Current 112.4/ GW 65
    following Primal Lifestyle and swimming my way to health

My Primal Blog / Photo Blog / RedBubble shop / My Calendars / My Facebook

jakey is offline Senior Member
    there is no metabolic advantage to low carb eating. there is no tooth fairy. there is no santa.

@lex is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jakey View Post
    there is no metabolic advantage to low carb eating. there is no tooth fairy. there is no santa.
    Why do you insist on raping my dreams and sending me copies of the directors cut?
    Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who has said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own experience.

In the mind of the beginner, there are many possibilities; in the mind of the expert, there are few.

I've shaken hands with a raccoon and lived to tell the tale

SW: 220- 225 pounds at the beginning of January
    CW: 180 pounds

Goals for 2012: Lose a bit more fat and start a serious muscle and strength routine

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jakey View Post
    and there is no queen of england! This is the real world, and you need to wake up!

Ah, its good to have kids. Can you name that tune?
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 04-23-2012 at 07:08 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast