Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Recent news reports of sweetener reformulations raise questions about motivation page

SerialSinner is offline Senior Member

Primal Fuel

From the article :

""Consumers are being misled into thinking that there are nutritional differences between high fructose corn syrup and sugar, when in fact they are nutritionally the same," said Audrae Erickson, president of the Corn Refiners Association. "Whether from cane, beets, or corn, a sugar is a sugar. They all contain four calories per gram. Switching out a kind of corn sugar for table sugar is not for health and it is not for science. It is for quarterly earnings. It is unfortunate that consumers are being duped by these marketing gimmicks – gimmicks which may result in higher food prices at checkout," Erickson said."

Thoughts?

“Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

The answer is in your post; "said Audrae Erickson, PRESIDENT of the CORN REFINERS ASSociation"

Hardly an independent 3rd party

I know. I am just so disgusted...

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

I can remember very clearly back to my third grade teacher and the lesson of reading between the lines. It's amazing the "studies" that are done and that the public will take these things at face value just because the words "research" and/or "study" is mentioned. Not long ago, there was a "study" done about the harmful effects of red meat. Meanwhile, it was so full of holes that it could never be taken as scientific evidence. Yet, there it was glowing on every search engines' homepage as breaking news.

HFCS is the devil. So is sugar. She does have a point, though, when she mentions the gimmick about sugar. All the sudden, it's being considered health food because it is more natural than HFCS! It's still sugar, people!

It makes me CRAZY!

Conan Guest

Hey, lean chicken breast and fish only have 4 calories per gram also so really there's no difference between HFCS and lean protein in terms of the health benefit. I mean a bag of skittles and a tilapia filet both have the same number of calories per gram so their pretty much equivalent from a nutritional standpoint.

Skittle encrusted tilapia. I think you should call TGI Fridays, you have their next menu item.

I am terribly appalled by the lack of intellectual curiosity of a huge part of the scientific and medical community. I see how someone who has no knowledge about physiology or science, or has had no exposure to information questioning the CW embraces current nutritional paradigms and to follows them.

But policy makers?? Doctors?? I understand some skepticism about whole grains. But, for F*&Ks sake, isn't policy supposed to be grounded on quality research?? How hard is it to make a connection between refined sugars and bad health????????

grandma is offline Member

Her statement rings true --- added sugar is added sugar no matter what form. HFCS, table sugar, honey, agave nectar, apple juice concentrate......

I am sure there are differences in the fructose/glucose make up and the process used to manufacture them. But in the end adding sugar is not the best idea even CW agrees with that.

It's grandma, but you can call me sir.

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

On the surface that shill is correct. Hey, sucrose is fructose and glucose, just like HFCS, right?

Yeah, just like I'm a dead ringer for Charles Atlas because we are both men.

The best report on HFCS and Agave is undoubtably this one: http://www.westonaprice.org/modernfood/HFCSAgave.pdf It's a big file, BTW, but very readable. And check out the copy of the ad from the American Soda Pop board or something answering the burning question of motherhood, "When should I start giving my child cola?"

Anyway, one of the things mentioned as to why HFCS might indeed be worse I have only heard once elsewhere. It seems that the molecule is a mirror image of real sugar, left handed construction instead of right. And just like your right hand doesn't fit well in a left hand glove, your liver isn't real good about HFCS. "Whoa, WTF is THIS molecule?"

Note that one of the authors is Sally Fallon, who has worked closely with Dr. Mary Enig on coconut, saturated fats, and diet generally. Good stuff.

grandma is offline Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

"When should I start giving my child cola?" -- 82. This one drives me crazy. I see it all the time. Kids who can barely walk sipping coke cans. I want to take it from them and slap their parents.

It's grandma, but you can call me sir.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast