Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Still missing something - scalp still chunky and greasy! page

Knifegill is offline Senior Member

Still missing something - scalp still chunky and greasy!

Primal Fuel
    PB has basically cured anything that was ever wrong with my body - except for this! My scalp only stays clean for a day, and then it's snowflake city again. Can anybody help?

My current foods look like this:

Beef heart
    Other meats
    Tallow
    Coconut oil
    Coconut milk
    Canned fish like mackerel and salmon
    Greens, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots
    Dandelions, eaten and tea
    Green apples
    Sweet potatoes
    Green tea, other teas
    Turmeric
    Seaweed
    Black pepper
    Sea salt
    Berries, foraged greens, foraged fruit etc.
    Very little to no nightshades, dairy, grains. Nuts once a week or if I see them free at work...
    Occasional slip up, brownie, pizza - less than once a week. We try to keep date night paleo.

Showering looks like this:
    Every four to five days
    Baking soda and Dr. Bronners 50/50 as shampoo, rapidly rubbed to lather and rinsed immediately
    Water is slightly warm to cool, found that hot water causes boils on my back
    My water has very little hardness, amazon soft.

No hats
    Brush hair once or twice a day, sometimes rub with towel
    I try not to touch it too much, it gets oily faster if I brush it a lot or run my fingers through it

Any ideas?

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

baconator is offline Junior Member
    I'm still pretty new to primal but I've been no-pooing for years. I would guess the baking soda/dr. bronners is too drying for your scalp (hence the dandruff) and you're producing excess oil to make up for the dryness. Have you tried conditioner washing instead? Look for one with no silicone in it to prevent buildup. Suave Naturals and Trader Joe's Tea Tree are two examples.

healthy11 is offline Senior Member
    It is a reaction to a fungus. You need an antifungal shampoo. Might want to check out Bulletproof Executive for more info on mold and fungus in the diet and what to eat to avoid it.

sofiajp is offline Member
    I still use shampoo and stuff but there are 2 things I do that has really helped my scalp.

1) I wet my hair and put on thick conditioner and then I add sugar to my hands (I use a white sugar that feels like brown sugar) and rub it in to my scalp -not too hard mind you but it is basically a sugar scrub for your scalp. It isn't drying either. After scrubbing I rinse out. You can shampoo and do a light conditioner if you like. I LOVE the way my scalp feels after this. I do this every 2 weeks or so.

2) I do a vinegar rinse. After I shampoo and rinse I pour my vinegar/water combination over my head and let it sit for a bit. Then I rinse out and condition. Feels great! They say acv (apple cider vinegar) is the best for this but I think you can you white as well....just make sure to dilute it first. vinegar is great at killing fungus and other things so this should help.

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    I would suggest a vinegar rinse, also try a drop of tea tree oil in your baking soda/water wash.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

gumboots is offline Member
    I sometimes get a big grease-bomb on one side of my scalp that doesn't really come out with shampoo (tried various different natural kinds). I get rid of it by washing once with regular dish soap to degrease, then washing with regular shampoo right after. It stays gone for a month or more before coming back, and I can go 3 days again without washing, which is my ideal. I don't have dandruff when I get that, though, so not sure if it's the same thing you're dealing with.

Not a classy primal solution, but it does the trick.

Linny is offline Senior Member
    My bet is fungus. The only way I can get relief for 1-2 months at a time is with a treatment of henna. If you want to try it Cassia Obovata has the same effect but with no hair coloring. Mix and apply it just like henna, wait a few hours and then rinse. Will add shine and thickness while controlling grease and dander.

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    Coconut oil should help with a fungus as well as making a nice conditioner/styling product!
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

jel
    jel is offline Junior Member
    I finally bought some Nizoral after reading about it on the forum. I used it twice in the first week, and the flakes disappeared. The bottle says to use it only when your scalp is flaky, so I haven't used it in over a month. I was skeptical at first, but it works for me. Apparently, it kills the fungus that causes dandruff.

healthy11 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by jel View Post
    I finally bought some Nizoral after reading about it on the forum. I used it twice in the first week, and the flakes disappeared. The bottle says to use it only when your scalp is flaky, so I haven't used it in over a month. I was skeptical at first, but it works for me. Apparently, it kills the fungus that causes dandruff.
    Same here! I didn't read about it here; I work in Dermatology. Tried natural alternatives like coconut oil, but it didn't help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast