Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Warmbears Journal, something odd this way comes. page

Warmbear is online now Senior Member

Warmbears Journal, something odd this way comes.

Few things in life are as hard as changing one's life. This is my Journal as I try to do just that. I would ask that Civil discourse be the rule here and no asshattery.

My name is Warmbear, in old Norse that would be "Byjarnylr", you would have to be in the SCA to understand, dont worry. I am a 45 year old father of 2. I am married to My lovely wife Kat, together we are called Bearkat. Cutesy hunh? We live in Montreal Quebec Canada with a Basset hound called Groucho and innumerable dust bunnies called legion.

I work as a cabinet maker so I am not your typical flubbery blob, I am 6' 2" and built like a Grizzly bear, so solid muscle under fat. I am currently somewhere around 320 lbs but my scale is broken. I started this journey about a month ago at 345 lbs with kidney problems, gall stone problems, 2 screwed up knees and a bad back. I have High BP, I was going hypoglycemic if I did not eat on a very frequent schedule like 5 or 6 times a day and I have had IBS since I was in the army 25 years ago.

I would come home from work so tired and near crippled with pain in my legs/feet that I could not even walk the dog. Exercise was becoming impossible, my favorite activities like the SCA and Archery were becoming impossible. I lived in pain every day from my legs, my lower back, my various issues and a headache from BP that no matter what I did would not come down below 185/125. I had not been able to really enjoy being married to most beautiful woman in a long time and it was becoming less likely as the weeks rolled on. I think kat was thinking it might be time to move on but I may just be paranoid. (Depression and anxiety are a few of my issues)

I was dieing and in truth I was hoping for it.

Then in January, my left knee buckled sideways as I was stepping down off a chair at work. No ladders at work, needed to use a chair and now I am off work with comp till further notice. What to doc said scared me some, hell it scared me a lot. You NEED to loose weight he said or you will be a complete cripple in less than 10 years. If your BP does not kill you first that is. I could deal with dieing, that was not not an issue but being a cripple is another matter entirely. To loose ones freedom is for me the worst fate I could imagine.

So I started Physio everyday, in pain and worried that I may have to find a new way to earn a living. I also started looking for a way that I could loose weight once again. I have done weight watchers, I have done it many times. I have lost and gained probably 1000 lbs over my life and I did not want to do that again. I considered becoming vegetarian but meat and bread is my favorite foods. I hate veggies. I really truly hate them. Sigh. I could not see myself living that way and as I worked to add more veggies to my diet I could not give up meat. It felt wrong, it felt terrible in fact as I stood in the Loblaws holding a pack of soy based burger patties. Fake food just makes me go squick, the hypocrisy of it annoyed me and I knew there had to be better choices.

I knew about the paleo diet concept, I had read about it some 10 years or so ago when the net was young. It seemed like the right direction if not quite the right path. I had started seeing a dietician as part of my treatment and she would have me on a high carb , low fat largely vegetarian diet which left me feeling hungry and somehow unhappy.

So I started looking online again for paleo diet sites and found Dr Cordain and MDA. Wow, what a lot of .... something. I was not sure what to make of MDA, a heaping mix of contrary-ism and conspiracy theory mixed with what might be science and might be marketing hype. I did not know the difference and though I am well educated and scientifically literate I could not be sure. Apparently there are a lot of foolish things on the net, why there are even some people looking to scam us, so being skeptical was natural.

OK as I read, It sounded good, the info was all there free and I did not need to buy anything or give my bank account info to a Nigerian web site so I figured what the hell, give it a try.

3 days in, my IBS was gone, my hypoglycemia stopped happening and I was eating less often. 1 week in I still felt good, I felt great in fact. I was skipping meals and only eating when hungry. I have much more energy and as my knee healed I started walking a lot. I cant run but now I can walk without much limp. The weight seems to be dropping off, I am wearing jeans that are 4 sizes smaller after 2 weeks. My BP was 165/102 on Friday and the headaches are gone. And that issue with the wife is uhh no longer an issue.

I bought the book, I bought the cookbook, and I am annoying folks on the forums with my stupid questions and silly observations and I am now convinced of this for me.

My family still thinks I am a complete nutter but since when is that not the norm?
    Primal since April 2012 Male 6' 3" SW 345lbs CW 240lbs GW 220lbs and when I get there I am getting a utlikilt. This one http://www.utilikilts.com/company/pr...ilts/workmans/ actually.

Join me at www.paleoplanet.net, where all the cavemen hang out.

My food choices tend to be very simple. I strive to balance each meal to 2/3 veggies and 1/3 meat/fat. I really have a hard time getting enough veggies in so if i keep everything balanced I figure it will help.

Today, brunch was a 3/4 lb ish hamburger steak and a big bowl of steamed veggies.

I make my burgers as a mix of good Mincemeat, ground flax seed, toasted sesame seeds, egg, spices and spinach chopped fine.

I steam the veggies in water with rosemary garlic and salt. Then pour some olive oil and franks hot sauce on em.

now off to do laundry as exercise cause it is snowing/raining/end of the worlding out there. bleahhh.
    Primal since April 2012 Male 6' 3" SW 345lbs CW 240lbs GW 220lbs and when I get there I am getting a utlikilt. This one http://www.utilikilts.com/company/pr...ilts/workmans/ actually.

tomi is offline Senior Member
    Hi Warmbear - just wanted to say you've made the right choice for your health, and your future. I went primal to fix my fibromyalgia, and it worked! It didn't completely fix my IBS, but its lots better! I find dark chocolate gives me "issues". I'm dealing with some possible andrenal and thyroid imbalances right now. I lost 14 pounds when I first when primal in Nov. '11, but then the weight just stayed put. Its frustrating.

There are a lot of great people on the MDA forum - and some nut cases too. You have weed through the comments and advice and find what works and ignore the rest.

Congrats on the great weight loss so far - and the drop in BP! I look forward to reading more successes from you. Take care!

Hedonist2 is offline Senior Member
    Welcome Warmbear! I'm glad it is going so well for you! I want to see you in Mark's Success Story series six months (or less) from now.
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

My MDA Friday success story - Stubborn Senior's Testimonial

So today I was weighed and my BP checked. I am no longer loosing a whack load of weight, down to 318 but my BP is 156/86. I have not had BP that low in more than 10 years and no matter what meds I took, nothing helped. This is good, the Doc approves and has looked up MDA and likes what he has read and will likely recommend it to his patients as needed.

As for food, last night I made chicken tikka masala ( Chicken in Creamy Tomato Curry: Chicken Tikka Masala Recipe : Aarti Sequeira : Food Network ) with goat yoghurt instead of cream and it worked very well. It and a big ass salad was all I ate except for a coffee and some strawberries for breakfast. Literally was not hungry all day.

Today I made lunch, another big salad and a 6 ounce hamburger steak. I found a use for this really nice wooden bowl we got as a wedding present, it is just right for my salads and it is pretty. A nice way to spruce up my meals.

I need to watch the nuts, I like them too much. I only eat a small handful with a glass of water as a snack but I have been hitting them too often. bad me.

Yesterday I found a thread about someone going to KFC as an experiment. should not have read that. I love KFC. I have always loved the greasy chicken skin. Screw the chicken gimme the coating. Now I am craving it bad. I eat the chicken, the small bones, the cartilage and break open the big bones to suck the marrow. Hell I never take the fries, just a 4 piece of chicken. I used to treat myself to a whole 20 piece bucket on my birthdays and just pig out......sigh....

I know better but I want it so bad.

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    Glad to be reading your journal, Warmbear.
    Now, banish that KFC from your mind. Make yourself some home-fried chicken(in delicious lard!) if you want it, and feast on that instead.
    I'm another one of those who finds a health scare has really motivated them. When you feel yourself faltering, go back and read your first post, and remember how bad you were feeling, such a short time ago. It is a good boost.

Heya

I know I should not but I think about food, my diet and not eating all day. I am hoping that this will pass.

I cant stop dwelling on food, mostly in that I am fascinated by how little I am hungry, how little I need to eat right now and How cool it is that I have not eaten in so many hours and I am not collapsing in to a black hole of hunger.

Well that and KFC.

I had to skip breakfast today, run a bunch of errands over and across the city by buss then had to skip lunch as nothing anywhere I went was worth eating. Supper will be in a cpl hours so no point in eating now, when I can eat with My loverly wife.

The best part is I dont really care, I am hungry but more as an idea and not as an issue that must be dealt with.

No big deal.

Unamused Mouse is offline Senior Member
    Hey Warmbear!

Introducing some more fat to your diet will help keep you fuller for longer; my favourite is a nice fatty pork or beef roast, or lightly coat some skin-on chicken thighs in a bit of EVOO and seasoned salt, then bake em, making sure the skin is nice and crispy. F**k KFC and their mystery spice recipe!!! Homemade is MUCH better (and I am exactly the same as you - the KFC skin is the best part! Well, along with their gravy, when it's nice and thick and flavourful!).

I would also recommend adding a high-quality fish oil to your daily intake, so help get rid of inflammation in the joints. I take a lemon-flavoured liquid version - two teaspoons a day right before I dig in to dinner. That way there's minimal fishy taste after.

Good luck on your journey.

Heya

I am not worried about being hungry, I am worried because my sensations of hungry or not are so out of kilter compared to what I used to experience. I used to be hungry all the time, I used to crave food and have no real will power in the face of it.

Now I dont know if I am hungry, I dont think so but I cant always tell. I am used to being conscious of food all the time all around me, I work in a food company after all and now I cant tell if I am hungry or if I am just enjoying my gall stones.

I dont feel the jitters, I dont get the great empty whole where my belly was. I feel sort of rumbly sometimes but nothing I cant ignore as my energy levels are mostly constant. I have ignored it all day just to see and it does not get worse, How do I know when I am hungry?

What I crave is the sensation of eating, of flavour in my mouth, of texture. This is what I crave, not hunger.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Heya

I have been thinking of the rules. Soo many rules. Or should we say Guidelines to life? The ten Primal rules, the Heathen nine noble virtues that I have also been studying of late. I wonder how many other heathens are out there reading this, Do you find that Heathen and PB rules conflict in some way? I dont see why they should but who knows.

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast