Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pre Race and Race Day Nutrition page 2

bdfink is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    So for dinner I had chicken, a salad and mashed potatoes. Breakfast was reallly really weak. I did a race that I had to travel to, so I had to rely on corporate restaurants and gas stations for snacks. I wasn't able to find an appetizing place for breakfast which was just poor planning on my part. I ended up eating a couple handfuls of mixed nuts and dried fruit. Definitely not my idea of and ideal breakfast but it satisfied my hunger for before the race.

The race was an IM 70.3 event. The course is super flat, which is fun for speed. But it was a toasty day with the temperature in the upper 80s. Combine that with a course that provides no shade and you get a pretty brutal race day. I managed to pull a pretty decent swim and bike leg. Coming off of the bike I was feeling really good and averaging 7:30s for the first 4 miles of the run. Then I hit a wall. I ran out of my personal supply for nutrition. No electrolyte pills or gels. The race support provided plenty of water and gatorade but only had bananas, cookies, fig newtons and pretzels for food. After mile 6 my average crawled to a 8:18. I managed to jog it out until about mile 11 when I had terrible cramps in my quads and calfs. For the last 2 miles I had a to walk/run and ended up finishing with a 9:21 pace overall.

0:37:05 (swim) 1:55 min/100 (pace) 0:02:15 (T1) 2:32:35 (bike) 22.02 mph (pace) 0:02:17 (T2) 2:02:38(run) 5:16:50 (finish time)

My goal was to break 5 hours but the run just dominated me. Anyway, I don't know if I can blame my performance on my crappy breakfast, lack of training or lack of nutrition intake on the course. Probably a combination of all 3. But I learned that I need to do a better job of planning ahead for meals when traveling and never rely on race support to provide nutrition.

bdfink is offline Member
    Pretty timely post for me:

MDA Post from June 14, 2012

Ounce is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TriCiCi View Post
    Carbo-loading is kind of a myth. Your muscles can't hold onto more glycogen then they can normally hold just 'cause you ate a mountain of pasta, ya know? Just eat normally, with some intentional carb/starch included in the days beofre the race and you will be fine.
    For people that are still getting a lot of their calories from carbs during training, I can't agree that carbo-loading is a myth. I'm not trying to pick a fight or anything of the sort, just conversating about it. I know what happens to me when I don't eat enough carbs prior to a marathon or a long run. I get cramps. And where I get the cramps is not in a massageable location. But it's painful for 2 or 3 minutes, until it subsides. There is a mid-range where 'intentional carb/starch' consumption and carbo-loading meet. So since that one marathon where I DNF'd, I've never under-carbed for a race or a long run and I've never had cramps since then, either.

This training cycle, I'm tinkering with the notion of running long runs in ketosis. Last week, I ran a 13 mile long run in ketosis. So, I'm going to continue doing that to see what happens. I know I can always go back to a carbo-loading method, if this doesn't play out.
    Oz
    Running for mediocrity since 2003

Quote Originally Posted by bdfink View Post
    So for dinner I had chicken, a salad and mashed potatoes. Breakfast was reallly really weak. I did a race that I had to travel to, so I had to rely on corporate restaurants and gas stations for snacks. I wasn't able to find an appetizing place for breakfast which was just poor planning on my part. I ended up eating a couple handfuls of mixed nuts and dried fruit. Definitely not my idea of and ideal breakfast but it satisfied my hunger for before the race.

The race was an IM 70.3 event. The course is super flat, which is fun for speed. But it was a toasty day with the temperature in the upper 80s. Combine that with a course that provides no shade and you get a pretty brutal race day. I managed to pull a pretty decent swim and bike leg. Coming off of the bike I was feeling really good and averaging 7:30s for the first 4 miles of the run. Then I hit a wall. I ran out of my personal supply for nutrition. No electrolyte pills or gels. The race support provided plenty of water and gatorade but only had bananas, cookies, fig newtons and pretzels for food. After mile 6 my average crawled to a 8:18. I managed to jog it out until about mile 11 when I had terrible cramps in my quads and calfs. For the last 2 miles I had a to walk/run and ended up finishing with a 9:21 pace overall.

0:37:05 (swim) 1:55 min/100 (pace) 0:02:15 (T1) 2:32:35 (bike) 22.02 mph (pace) 0:02:17 (T2) 2:02:38(run) 5:16:50 (finish time)

My goal was to break 5 hours but the run just dominated me. Anyway, I don't know if I can blame my performance on my crappy breakfast, lack of training or lack of nutrition intake on the course. Probably a combination of all 3. But I learned that I need to do a better job of planning ahead for meals when traveling and never rely on race support to provide nutrition.
    Thanks for the report. So, how did you fuel for the IM before leaving DC? I don't know the usual carbo-loading for a triathlon (either full or half) for carb-based diets. If you're ketone based fuel for your half IM, please let me know what you ate. Thanks.
    Oz

bdfink is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ounce View Post
    Thanks for the report. So, how did you fuel for the IM before leaving DC? I don't know the usual carbo-loading for a triathlon (either full or half) for carb-based diets. If you're ketone based fuel for your half IM, please let me know what you ate. Thanks.
    The race was on Sunday morning, so I'll describe what I ate Friday and Saturday.

Friday:
    Breakfast - 4 eggs over medium
    Lunch - Salad with chicken, mushrooms, olives, red bell peppers and onions
    Snack - A handful of trail mix - almonds, cashews, sesame seeds, dried blueberries and cranberries
    Dinner - Salad with kale, olives, mozzarella cheese, avocado, grape tomatoes and cucumbers. Main course was a Grass fed NY Strip with a sweet potato. Also had a handful of fruit with a serving of fage yogurt

Saturday
    Breakfast - Omelet with kale, mushrooms and onions. I had left over steak from dinner as well
    Snack - Trail mix and naked fruit juice
    Dinner - Crappy meal at Uno's. Avocado and citrus side salad. Main meal was grilled chicken, mashed potatoes and steamed vegetables

Quote Originally Posted by bdfink View Post
    The race was on Sunday morning, so I'll describe what I ate Friday and Saturday.

Friday:
    Breakfast - 4 eggs over medium
    Lunch - Salad with chicken, mushrooms, olives, red bell peppers and onions
    Snack - A handful of trail mix - almonds, cashews, sesame seeds, dried blueberries and cranberries
    Dinner - Salad with kale, olives, mozzarella cheese, avocado, grape tomatoes and cucumbers. Main course was a Grass fed NY Strip with a sweet potato. Also had a handful of fruit with a serving of fage yogurt

Saturday
    Breakfast - Omelet with kale, mushrooms and onions. I had left over steak from dinner as well
    Snack - Trail mix and naked fruit juice
    Dinner - Crappy meal at Uno's. Avocado and citrus side salad. Main meal was grilled chicken, mashed potatoes and steamed vegetables
    Bd,
    I'll qualify what you're about to read by saying that I have just run 1-13 mile long run in a state of ketosis.
    So, unless you had trained in a state of ketosis, I think you didn't pre-fuel your body enough.

If you had trained in a state of ketosis for the whole training cycle, then I have no idea except to get thoughts from successful ketosis triathletes about your bonk. And I hope I get to read the thread. Good luck.
    Oz

bdfink is offline Member
    With the weather in DC in the low to upper 90s for the last few weeks, I've felt like I've been suffering in the heat more than usual this year. It may be due to my change in diet and following the PB since January. I try to keep most of my workouts in my Zone 2, (123-141 or 52-64%), which usually puts me in a really comfortable pace. Obviously as it gets warmer, my pace and heart rate will suffer as a result. But even still, I feel like staying in that Zone 2 should allow me to stay fairly comfortable. Unfortunately, I’ve just felt really slow in the heat.

I've been reading that a high fat low carb diet may be low in sodium intake for athletes. Loss of sodium can make one feel sluggish and performance in hot weather can be severely impacted. An additional 1 to 2 grams of sodium intake should be considered for endurance athletes. Two good sources for increasing sodium intake can come from adding sea salt to your food and consuming pickles. I am also going to start using Saltstick Caps during my long workouts to see if it makes a difference in performance.

This weekend I have another Olympic distance triathlon. The current forecast for race day is mostly cloudy, with a low of 78 and a high of 101. It will definitely be big test day for my heat performance. Luckily this race is local enough that I can make my own dinner and breakfast for my pre-race meals. I will be certain to keep track of what I eat and report on my race day performance on this thread.

bdfink is offline Member

Race Day Report

Race Recap:
    Big strides forward today (7/7/12) with racing on PB during one of the hottest race days I've experienced. The air temp was 82 at 615am when I left my car, water temp taken at 630am was 87 degrees and air temp was 93 by the time I left at noon. Dew point was 74 degrees and 85% humidity.

I know there are tougher races out there and people have experience more difficult conditions but I was impressed how my body handled everything. I have no idea how the professionals compete in the IM World Championship in Kona. Earlier this year I found it really difficult to transition from racing on a non PB diet to PB. Two of my previous races this year lead to a lot of cramping and overall terrible feeling while crossing the finish line. Today, I felt like I took a step in the right direction with figuring out my pre-race and race day nutrition.

A combination of reading the "art and science of low carbohydrate performance" and random website posts allowed me to make a few adjustments. Due to my cramping issues, I determined that my diet was lacking sodium intake. Throughout the week I loaded up on a couple pickles for a few days leading up to race day. Pretty random snack but I think it made a big difference. Also, it seemed to me that I was lacking carb intake. So I ate a handful of various berries throughout the week (nothing new) but I also added sweet potatoes to the mix. One for lunch and dinner yesterday and one for breakfast this morning.

No breakfast yesterday

Full Lunch:
    Salad - sardines, avocado, kale, mushrooms, carrots, sliced almonds and red bell peppers. With sweet potato.

Full Dinner:
    Chicken, avocado, kale, onions and mushrooms. Sweet potato and some watermelon since it was around.

Today's Full breakfast:
    4 eggs, avocado, sweet potato and a coffee.

During the race I decided to go more PB style with no gels or electrolyte mix. I dropped two salt caps in each of my water bottles (PB enough...?), created my own dried raspberry nuggets and carried a little coffee in two small handheld water bottles that comfortably fit in the back pocket of my tri top (one for bike, one for run). In previous races, I used gels with caffeine which had great performance results in my opinion. For the raspberry nugs, I soaked a small handful of dried raspberries, strained them and then squished them together in my hands into a nug. Kind of messy but it makes it a lot easier to eat on the go rather than eating them out of a bag on the bike.

No cramping whatsoever, no salt accumulation over my body and after crossing the finish line I felt really good actually. I probably could have pushed a little harder but I decided that I wanted to see how I would handle the heat/new nutrition plan. Also decided against eating any of the post race food as none of it was PB friendly. Didn't regret it at all and held out for a few hours to make my own lunch when I got home.

Definitely not a brag worthy time but it was a good feeling to cross the finish line without bonking and no cramping.

DITRT (1mi, 27mi, 5mi) - 7/7/12
    0:32:36 (swim)
    2:02 min/100 (pace)
    0:01:09(T1)
    1:18:17 (bike)
    20.69 mph (pace)
    0:00:58 (T2)
    0:37:52 (Run)
    7:32 min/mi (Pace)
    2:30:52 (Total) time.
    6th of 16 AG and 24 of 182 Overall.

bdfink is offline Member
    Long post but I am hoping someone finds it helpful

jocks is offline Junior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    I just did my first triathlon as 'pb'--Oly. I cramped in my calf on the last mile of the run--it was hot as all get out and I'll rack that up to needing a salt stick. First HIM is this fall. Keep posting about what you eat on the bike--I've done mini-Larabars and a bonk breaker...though these are gluten free they are not primal, at least some flavors. The thought of eating anything really turns my stomach but in more than an Oly distance I will obviously need something. Here's something you might like, I froze a coconut water and stuck it in a little lunch cooler in my transition area and had that at T2 and on my first mile of the run. It was heaven, and did not add but a second to my T2 time. My pre-race meal hasn't changed in about 5 years (1/2 bagel with either peanut or almond butter with half a banana)...what sort of things have worked for you? I've got to think on the safe/bland side---nerves

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast