Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question About Fats? page

bombie78 is offline Junior Member

Question About Fats?

Shop Now
    Hi everyone,

I am two weeks into PB, and doing pretty well so far (yesterday was my first break frome it - literally have had no processed carbs until yesterday, which is great for me, and it has reinforced my desire to keep on -not slide as I would in the past!).

Anyway, the first week I lost 5 pounds, which was unexpected, but I was happy. I weigh anywhere in the mid-140s range (I am one of those people whose weight fluctuates GREATLY and regularly), am 5' 4" tall, and a 33 year old female. By conventional standards (meaning not accounting for the weight gain that comes with lean muscle) I could stand to lose at least 15 pounds. So quite honestly, I don't know what I should weigh, nor should I care, I realize, which is a hard CW hurdle to overcome (right ladies??).

I noticed I gained a few pounds yesterday (prior to my processed carbs) and I was a little, well, deflated. This might be a mental battle, because I do feel better, and I do notice my clothes feel a bit better on my body, however, now I am getting concerned about the amount of fat I am eating. This is because my brain is battling over the low fat vs. moderate fat (CW vs. PB). Can anyone give me some reinforcement about what fat does for your body, and perhaps a guideline on how much? Most of the fat I eat comes in the form of almonds, almond butter, and some coconut manna. A few spoonfuls or handfuls probably 5 days of the week. Is this too much?

Also, I have started bikeriding again, so I am not being completely sedentary.

Can anyone give me some friendly pointers?

Thanks!!!

Rattybag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bombie78 View Post
    Most of the fat I eat comes in the form of almonds, almond butter, and some coconut manna. A few spoonfuls or handfuls probably 5 days of the week. Is this too much?
    Are you vegetarian? If not Id suggest cutting back on nut fats and eat animal fats. Bacon is perfect - high fat low carb good protein source and readily available. Fatty steaks and pork are excellent!
    I'm not a complete idiot! There's parts missing!!

I am not vegetarian (there is no way I could live without meat!). But now that you say that, I probably have been eating more lean meats - out of habit, I'm sure. I'm having a hard time getting used to the fact that I can have a thigh - with the skin on!

Thanks for the suggestion. I think partly the nuts and coconut are my sweet tooth coming out.... I'm not always sure what I should snack on.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    About half your daily calories from fat is a decent amount, not too much, not too little. Favor the fats from animals over plants and if you can swing it, from grass-fed or pasture-raised animals (i.e. healthy animals) or cold water fish. Their fat will have higher omega 3 to omega 6 ratios which will relieve systemic inflammation and make you feel satisfied so you naturally eat less overall. Good luck.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 210 x 3

[QUOTE=bombie78;804204 I'm having a hard time getting used to the fact that I can have a thigh - with the skin on! [/QUOTE]

That takes quite a bit of getting used to! If your anything like me Ive been eating low fat, low calorie food for years and to then putting cream in my coffee and frying bacon seems totally wrong! My brain is shouting NOOO!!!! but my tummy is shouting YESSSSS!!!
    You will get used to that in time and then have the opposite problem like me and eating too much fat! LOL

Yes, I had berries with cream the other day and felt completely decadent! My husband was looking at me like, "oh yeah, heavy whipping cream - THAT'S really healthy!!!" - obviously he still subscribes to Conventional Wisdom!

MarissaLinnea is offline Senior Member
    Eat more animal fats and less nuts and plant fats. And throw your scale away. I swear, if I owned a scale it would be horrible, I know I would probably weigh every day and stress over two lbs of water weight that I gained from the day before. A much better way is to take your measurements and then take them again in four weeks or so. Much better indicator of your fat loss, IMO.

jakey is offline Senior Member
    take it easy on the nuts, and read what mark has to say about saturated fat - hint: it's good shite.

somebody above said, "Bacon is perfect - high fat low carb good protein source and readily available." bacon sucks, the stuff you buy in the store is bottom of the barrel gutter meat. limit it.

Quote Originally Posted by jakey View Post
    somebody above said, "Bacon is perfect - high fat low carb good protein source and readily available." bacon sucks, the stuff you buy in the store is bottom of the barrel gutter meat. limit it.
    That somebody was me, and in defence I didn't say buy the worst type of barrel scrapings. Many butchers have very good quality and nitrate free bacon that is far from 'gutter meat'. But like many of us, we an only buy what we can afford.
    If you find a good bacon supplier I still hold to my quote that it is low carb, high fat and good protein source!
    So there! LOL

jakey is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rattybag View Post
    That somebody was me, and in defence I didn't say buy the worst type of barrel scrapings. Many butchers have very good quality and nitrate free bacon that is far from 'gutter meat'. But like many of us, we an only buy what we can afford.
    If you find a good bacon supplier I still hold to my quote that it is low carb, high fat and good protein source!
    So there! LOL
    second-to-worst fatty acid profile, sugar cured PUFA. bacon is not perfect, this is not atkins.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast