Thread: New and hardgainer. Need some diet advise/input page

New and hardgainer. Need some diet advise/input

Shop Now
    I've been following pure primal eating for about 2 1/2 weeks now. I've read the Primal Blueprint and many threads on the board. But, I need to GAIN weight, not lose. I'm a 34 y/o male, 5'9", 145 lbs. about 7% body fat. I'd describe myself as moderate to very active. I work out 4-5 days a week which consists of a quick 2 mile run at a 7:30 min/mile pace (not exactly "chronic" cardio but definitely a heartbeat about 75%), then lift weights for about 45 min after the run. I lift heavy (for example, when doing 5x5, I lift 185 lbs and if I pyramid I max out at 215 lbs which I don't think is bad considering my weight). Of course, I'm always trying to increase strength and size. However, after the last 2 1/2 weeks, I've LOST 3 lbs. I can't afford to lose weight. I need to gain good mass.

My dietary breakdown averages the following:

Fat: 54%
    Protein: 27%
    Carbs: 19%

I typically consume anywhere from 2600 to 3000 cals per day and I've been keeping my carbs between 100-150 per day (although 2 or 3 times I got up to 180).

I've read so much information, I'm strugling to identify additional foods to eat in order to increase my caloric intake without throwing off my efforts to switch from carb burning to fat burning (prior to switching to primal, I probably consumed about 300 grams of carbs per day) and without throwing off the O6:03 ratios. My snacks so far consist of macadamia nuts whole-fat greek yogurt, banana, strawberries, and blueberries. I also have a Primal Nutrition shake after my workouts with some added coconut milk. So, with that long-winded introduction and background, what can I do to stop losing weight and reverse the trend?

Thanks for any input.

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    First, you aren't eating nearly enough. Add 1000 cal/day. Eat more carbs, just avoid gluten and sugar. Consider dropping the run, at least temporarily. It sounds like you are using the same weight each time when you lift. That does nothing. Use a good program, like Starting Strength, and add weight every work out.

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    As Apex says chose a program and progress. 6 months from now you may want to change your program but for now chose one, work hard and make progress.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!