Thread: masters 100m sprinter page

grooster is offline Junior Member

masters 100m sprinter

Primal Fuel
    Hi,
    I am a 47yo masters 100m sprinter, I do 2 sprint sessions, 2 weight sessions and 2 tempo (ie 2 x 10 x 100m) sessions a week. i was wondering do I need to add carbs before, during and after workouts. Most of the information I can find is about endurance athletes. Any information would be much appreciated.

grooster is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grooster View Post
    Hi,
    I am a 47yo masters 100m sprinter, I do 2 sprint sessions, 2 weight sessions and 2 tempo (ie 2 x 10 x 100m) sessions a week. i was wondering do I need to add carbs before, during and after workouts. Most of the information I can find is about endurance athletes. Any information would be much appreciated.
    I have had 127 views but not one response. Have I asked a stupid question or offended with this question. I AM REALLY INTERESTED IN LEARNING THE PRIMAL APPROACH FOR SPRINT TRAINING. Thanks.

mikeyt is offline Senior Member
    I'd help if i could... what times are good for a 47yr old? (asks someone fast approaching the same!)

Uppy is offline Member
    I think general consensus would be that carbs very shortly after the workout would be ideal. The idea is to spike the blood sugar a bit and get going on muscle repair and glycogen replenishment ASAP.

Depending on the length of your workout, you might want to have a very small something before or during.

jakey is offline Senior Member
    i think the best answer would be to experiment when you train! what's the worst that could happen? i'm all for getting over the fear of starchy tubers, but in this case, there's no harm in trying it both ways for a while. my guess is that you'd quickly find that you perform/feel better with carbs, but hey, who knows until you give it a whirl?

CaveWeirdo is offline Senior Member
    I think the reason you've not had a lot of replies is that most amateur runners do middle distance or longer. I would also be interested to read people's thoughts on this too, as I would prefer to achieve fast runs and a bigger physique than a typical endurance runner.

My understanding of the difference between sprinting and endurance running is that a sprinter only really uses the energy stored in the muscles and doesn't get to the fat-burning stage. I've done some fasted training because it is supposed to help with endurance over longer runs, but I've no idea if that would help or hinder sprint training. Obviously an energy surplus is needed to build muscle but other than that I'm clueless.

Another thing I will add is that at the age of 30, I can't even run for 100m yet, never mind sprint! So... well done!
    Last edited by CaveWeirdo; 05-09-2012 at 02:17 PM.

bryanccfshr is offline Senior Member
    I took a bit from lean gains. I like to sprint half an hour after taking some aminos or whey protein after an 18 hour fast. I follow the sprints with good meals that include starch. I am not stuck to this rule as life sometimes requires me to sprint in the afternoon aft a couple of meals. I tend to try to always throw a sweet potatoe in with dinner on these days.
    I am 41 and between sprinting and heavy lifting and bodyweight exercises I can easily overtax my CNS regardless of how I eat. The only way around that is cutting frequency of intense workouts for myself.
    Integrity is what we do when nobody's watching.

runman1954 is offline Member
    When you sprinting your burning sugar as opposed to burning fat. Additional carbs really aren't needed beyond fruit and veggies. I agree you should worry too much about tubers or a banana here and there. I eat sweet potatoes regularly.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Sprint workouts are going to be a lot like weight lifting, so I'd start there for Primal/paleo nutritional stuff.