Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: having trouble losing weight!!! page

samira is offline Member

having trouble losing weight!!!

Primal Fuel
    Hi! Anyone have tips on what I should eat to drop a few pounds? I'm doing about 3 hrs of cardio, plus light weights 5 days a week. I'm a grad student so I don't want to starve myself, I kinda need my brain ;-).
    Thanks!

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    you could read the primal blueprint and see what is what.

Do you know what Primal is all about? Zoebird made a great suggestion
    Also a good start is to cut back on your cardio per day and remove all grains, sugars, and legumes...the book and here can get you the rest of the way.. Goodluck

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    You might have more energy to study if you stopped doing 3 hours of cardio a day. I'd like to give you a serious response but I don't know if you're trolling.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    The fact you are borderline underweight should be a clue. I agree with zoebird - read the PB.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Why would you do light weights?
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

maclrc is offline Senior Member
    In brief:

1) You are not borderline underweight - although you are towards the lower end or normal (I am guessing you are looking to drop excess fat more than actual weight)
    2) The book is not necessary, just check out the priamal 101 section of the site and explore from there
    3) Use what you learn from the above to sort your diet, this is the most important factor.
    4) Cut down the cardio (2-3 45min sessions a week is fine)
    5) Replace the light weights with 2 or 3 heavy weight sessions a week. These should concentrate on compound exercises (high weight, low(ish) reps - 5x5, or 4x6 is a good start point.

Key compound exercises are variations on the following - deadlifts, sqauts, bench press, pull-ups, shoulder press.

The result of all the above, if done properly, should be a loss of excess fat and an increase in muscle mass (don't worry - you will look more toned as opposed to the Hulk on steroids!). You might actually find your weight goes up a bit as the new muscle will be heavier than the old fat.

Quote Originally Posted by maclrc View Post
    In brief:

1) You are not borderline underweight - although you are towards the lower end or normal (I am guessing you are looking to drop excess fat more than actual weight)
    112.5 lbs @ 5 foot 3.5 gives a BMI of 19.6, which is slightly underweight. Obviously, BMI alone is of limited value as body composition needs to be taken into account, but on that approximate measure that's considered borderline underweight.

ETA: I agree that adding muscle would be a positive.
    Last edited by paleo-bunny; 04-23-2012 at 09:13 AM. Reason: ETA
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

maclrc is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paleo-bunny View Post
    112.5 lbs @ 5 foot 3.5 gives a BMI of 19.6, which is slightly underweight. Obviously, BMI alone is of limited value as body composition needs to be taken into account, but on that approximate measure that's considered borderline underweight.

ETA: I agree that adding muscle would be a positive.
    Sorry, paleo-bunny is absolutely right, fluffed my bmi calc somehow.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by maclrc View Post
    Sorry, paleo-bunny is absolutely right, fluffed my bmi calc somehow.
    S'ok. I spotted it easily because I'm of similar height and aware of the approx range I should be shooting for.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast