Thread: NY Times Article on Kellog's page

dbalch is offline Senior Member

NY Times Article on Kellog's

Primal Fuel
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/22/bu...nted=4&_r=1&hp

This is classic clueless health journalism by the supposedly liberal media. The reality is the mainstream media is a full supporter of the food industry. They collect its advertising dollars, they all sit on each others boards etc.

I love their conclusion:

"But Kellogg faces deeper problems than a few recalls, says Mr. Dickerson of Consumer Edge. To him, a big issue is that cereal is losing ground to other breakfast options, like frozen food, cereal bars and yogurt. The reason, he speculates, is that fewer Americans are inclined to sit down with a bowl, milk and a spoon when they start their mornings. The ultimate convenience food — which is how cereal was once billed — is just not convenient enough any more."

So wolfing down a bowl of sugar is too much work for Americans these days. It involves walking to the refrigerator and lifting up a half gallon of milk. Kellogg's loss is McDonald's drive thru's gain. McDonald's stock has doubled in the last three years. Kellogg's only up about 20%.

js290 is offline Senior Member

Analog6 is offline Senior Member
    Terranora, far north coast NSW, Australia
    How about this pic about the Sylvester Graham & the original Kellogg founder - if this is accurate he was a raving nutter!

Thou Shalt Not Eat Any Abominable Thing
    Odille
    F 58 / 170cms / SW 131.5 kgs / Current 112.4/ GW 65
    following Primal Lifestyle and swimming my way to health

My Primal Blog / Photo Blog / RedBubble shop / My Calendars / My Facebook

@lex is offline Senior Member
    "Just like Graham, Kellogg was obsessed with chastity and constipation. True to principle, he never made love to his wife. To “remedy” the sin of masturbation, he advocated circumcision without anesthetic for boys and mutilation of the clitoris with carbolic acid for girls. He blamed constipation for “nymphomania” in women and lust in men, because, according to Kellogg, impacted stools inside one‘s rectum were stimulating the prostate gland and the female vagina into sexual proclivity."

I bet frosted flakes wouldn't sell nearly as well if that was printed on the back of the box.
    Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who has said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own experience.

In the mind of the beginner, there are many possibilities; in the mind of the expert, there are few.

I've shaken hands with a raccoon and lived to tell the tale

SW: 220- 225 pounds at the beginning of January
    CW: 180 pounds

Goals for 2012: Lose a bit more fat and start a serious muscle and strength routine

dbalch is offline Senior Member
    That dude who wrote "The Fiber Menace" has some choice words for Kellogg. Supposedly, he bears a lot responsibility for the idea that fiber helps digestion and that we should eat grains for breakfast to put more fiber into out bowels.

FabianSeelye is offline Junior Member
    How about this pic about the Sylvester Graham

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dbalch View Post
    That dude who wrote "The Fiber Menace" has some choice words for Kellogg. Supposedly, he bears a lot responsibility for the idea that fiber helps digestion and that we should eat grains for breakfast to put more fiber into out bowels.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/22/b...l?pagewanted=2
    In the ’20s, All-Bran was emblazoned with this rather blunt appeal: “Relieves constipation.”
    What's pathetic is it goes from propaganda to bad policy.