Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Primal ways to deal with severe allergies? page

oksanapf is offline Junior Member

Primal ways to deal with severe allergies?

Primal Fuel
    Any thoughts on how to heal severe allergic post-nasal-drip the Primal way, not sure if itís an allergic rhinitis? Basically I donít have watery eyes and running nose, but severe allergic post-nasal-drip that just turned into a 8 day cold (inflamed my throat), which I am still fighting. Being outdoors makes it significantly worse. I have been following a strictly Paleo diet for about a year now and am loving it. I have not been sick for a very long time, although did have a bad mold allergy, which I healed by December 2011 Ė wonder if that contributed to the current seasonal allergies?
    With such severe allergic reaction, I am considering a 10-day water fast with Psyllium husks to reboot my system. What are your thoughts on that? any other alternatives?

tradawg is offline Senior Member
    Have you tried including some local raw honey in your daily diet?
    $5 off iherb.com: QOC241

"Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." - Voltaire

For nutrition/wellness tips:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/One...34671179916624

www.onelifeonebodynutritionaltherapy.com

ASmallOne is offline Senior Member
    for immediate relief i think that "tiger's throat coat" by herbal medicinals (it's a "kids tea" with a picture of a tiger on it) is really great. might calm the post-nasal drip itchiness and it's totally primal- a bunch of herbs + hot water!
    Check out my new webpage: The Carnivore Runner
    Friend me on "The Facebook"
    Follow me on Twitter!

For customized training / nutritional plans for runners from a former athlete who has personal experience in dealing with severe food allergies, please email me at foxATtinybikeDOTnet. I am ISA certified as a personal trainer and have coached many runners at the recreational or young-competitor level to towards their goals! Most of all, I'd love to help you with yours.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tradawg View Post
    Have you tried including some local raw honey in your daily diet?
    Start with this...If you have other chronic allergies they are likely due to a variety of other stressers that range from gut dysbiosis, autoimmune, emotional stress, biomechanical stress. Taking care of any or all of these causes may help.

oksanapf is offline Junior Member
    I just found out that InterFase Plus is helpful with postnasal drip, will try it with Xclear Xylitol nasal spray

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Perhaps you could try a Neti pot?
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Damiana View Post
    Perhaps you could try a Neti pot?
    I agree.
    It gets the irritants out of your sinus cavity and cleans everything up with a good salt flush.

Just be sure and use safe practices if you go this route. Always either boil the water you will use first and then allow it to cool covered, or use bottled distilled water.
    ďYou have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.Ē
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

namelesswonder is online now Senior Member
    Neti pots don't do jack for me, but maybe I never tried them for long enough consistently. I've had chronic post nasal drip for close to a year now with the absurd pollen count we've had going on, even throughout the winter. I spoke with an allergist recently who said that treating your allergies might not help with PND because so many things can affect your sinuses. I am going to be trying raw local honey to improve allergies, but am having a hard time finding some (farmer's market doesn't start till June) that I'm sure has pollen and such in it.

If you can afford it and it's really that bad, you might consider getting allergy testing and shots. I'm currently taking nasal steroids (Flonase) and Zytrec to manage my allergies for the next month, then I get re-tested. My allergist just wants to see if my responses are diminished after being "treated" for an extended period. I am going to call my insurance to find out about shot coverage though, because I'd really like to not take steroids in my nose!
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

spk
    spk is offline Senior Member
    I had this happen this year too--sudden onset of allergic reaction w/ PND. And then it turned into a dry cough that irritated the living heck out of my throat and kept the neighbors up! It took a month to heal. The neti pot at night, right before bed seemed to clear the days irritants away.

When the cough settled deeply in my lungs, I used this tincture; Deep Lung:
    WishGarden Herbs :: Products

And also, did a steam at night with fresh Sage leaves and Eucalyptus leaves purchased from my nice flower lady. They are supposed to be good anti-bac for the lungs and did seem to really help the drip prior to bedtime.

Also read that Nettles, either steamed & eaten from fresh plant OR taken as a supplement, has great success with allergy inflam.

activia is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Namelesswonder.. Whole foods here sells raw local honey (from VT, I live in MA but its very similar). I bought some 2 weeks ago. When I first started eating it I got a tingly feeling... so it def had the allergens in it. I can tell dramatically on the days that I eat a tbls and the days I do not. I now no longer get that tingly feeling either when I eat it. I'm doing much better in the allergy department this spring.
    Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast