Thread: Carb reaction--blegh page

hfox is offline Junior Member

Shop Now

Late this afternoon, I decided to do an unplanned "carb up." I was feeling really weak-ish and impulsively decided to eat 4 pieces of sourdough bread, about 10 raisins, some organic peanut butter.. I waited about an hour and did a heavy weights workout.

The lifting went fine, no exhaustion or sickness.. immediately afterward, though, I just felt disgusted.

This is my first adverse reaction to a carb spree (they don't happen often--maybe once every 4 mons).. and it was probably under 70g in one sitting.

A good lesson, I guess..

unchatenfrance is offline Senior Member

Next time you feel the need to 'carb up' why not just load up on fruit or other more primal carb sources?

Legerity is offline Junior Member

I noticed my digestion had been improving and then when I had a meal including a big portion of awesome sweet potato fries, the next few days my stomach went through hell. Also, I noticed that even an apple, banana, or glass of whole milk seem to have enough carbs to jolt my blood sugar and make me wired.

Unless it's all in our head, I really think we can become particularly sensitive after cutting down.

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

I'm one of those that "needs" some carbs. After primal (mostly, both in the short and long hauls) since June, I know whereof I speak. On ultra low carb days I often have dizzy moments and just can't move along as effortlessly.

So I eat some carbs now, but "good" ones. Low sugar fruits, veggies, squash, both summer and winter, occasional small banana. Probably never 100 grams a day unless I pig a bit on sweet potatoes or winter squash.

Ahhhhh......

kennelmom is offline Senior Member

I feel your pain. I'm having a carb hangover this morning...Had a hot date with my DH last night and we went to Kevin Gillespie's restaurant in Atlanta (finalist from Top Chef last season). I indulged in the sourdough bread (and lots of their herbed butter!), an entire course of mushroom risotto, another risotto side dish that came with my steak AND a piece of maple marscapone cheesecake for dessert. Every single bite was freaking amazing...but...

Then I had to sit through a 2 hour comedy show (Lewis Black)...My heart was racing, my legs were jittery, I couldn't sit still and my stomach was not happy...that was a LONG show. Slept like crap and now I just feel ugh-ey this morning.

Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

ChrisJ is offline Member

I ate dominoes pizza last night. First grain / high carb meal in three weeks. I feel fine, strangely...

Apparently I suck at life, so I'm crowd-sourcing my decisions, and sharing what I learn.

My fresh start in London

Stabby is offline Senior Member

Bah I hate that about carbs. Eating carbs just makes me want to eat more carbs and then those carbs make me want to eat even more carbs, etc. I'll pass on the carb binges.

Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

ChrisJ is offline Member

I lie. I did not feel fine.

As per usual I fasted up to my morning work out, waited an hour or so, and got breakfast. Six fried eggs in butter, and a couple slices of bacon. then comes the gas, the bloating, the aches, and I had terrible sugar cravings, which I satisfied with some dark chocolate.

I'm still feeling a bit horrible. Currently waiting for my dinner to cook, roast peppers stuffed with beef, onion, and tomatoes with garlic. hopefully this will make things better.

Apparently I suck at life, so I'm crowd-sourcing my decisions, and sharing what I learn.

My fresh start in London

Hello Kitty is offline Junior Member

I have on a primal path since last June. I have had no desire for breads and starches, because they were never anything special to me in the first place. However, after a carbfest over the holidays, which included grains - my own traditional corn bread stuffing and home made cookies - the inflammation was just horrible! Took me several days to recover. No thanks. Not. Even. Tempted.

My continued problem, though, it that I have a pretty high tolerance for sugar. As long as the junk isn't grain-based, it's takes a lot of chocolate or other sweets and candy to mess me up like the cookies and stuffing did. Soooo...

Over the winter I have tried to peacefully coexist with these things around the house. WRONG answer! It's like trying to peacefully coexist with a hungry boa. It was getting to where I'd have insatiable sugar cravings weekly. Oh, I'd get back on track the next day, but... those crap calories and insulin spikes were really interfering with progress and surely downright dangerous.

Last week I *finally* took charge, and cleared all the offenders out of the house, including any nuts (because they were often the gateway "drug"), and also any baking supplies that I might go for in a moment of weakness (e.g. chocolate chips). Gone. The rest of the family hasn't said a word. Maybe they are just happy that the crackers escaped the purge (those are no risk).

Meanwhile, I've jammed up my protein intake with lots of steak and fresh fish, and extra eggs. I feel liberated. The lack of nibbles in the house and the increased protein seems to have squashed my needing to snack, so all the more enjoyable and satisfying are regular meals.

Stabby is offline Senior Member

Right on, that's what I like to hear.

I also have somewhat of a disdain for nuts and seeds (save for raw chia and flax seeds, more omega 3 than omega 6 is fine by me). Being 21 and still having an overactive sebaceous gland, I'm very acne prone and it doesn't take a lot of nuts or seeds to break me out. And the inflammation on the little suckers is awful. Also insulin spikes do it too. The one blessing of acne was being able to see what vegetable oil, processed food, grains, sugar (fruit juice, honey, too much dried fruit, doesn't matter) does to my insides except on the outside.

When I eat primal, I look primal. No I am not vain or metrosexual, I don't like shit on my face. That goes for the spectrum of other visage-altering crap that comes from hyperinsulemia/insulin resistance/inflammation. Why is it so many people in their 20s look like crack heads. Neolithic food!

Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!