Thread: Tallow from heart fat? page

Knifegill is online now Senior Member

Tallow from heart fat?

Shop Now
    I just dissected four amazing hearts covered with hard fat. Seems like it would render into tallow pretty easily. Is it worth trying?

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    Tremendous worms of a swarthy nature pursue me across the sandy blank sky. I stop to think. What the devil AM I up to?!

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

pjgh is offline Senior Member
    Absolutely! If you can get a good pack of hard fat out of any part of an animal, render it.

I absolutely love heart! No pun intended. The fat does give the heart some real flavour and cloyness. Smoked heart is my favourite, where the fat is just turned lovely and like eating a "dripping sweet" marbled into delicious deep offal. Love it!

If you're going to whole cook the heart, leave the fat in. If the heart is to be cut up and cooked as meat texture, enjoy rendering.

What animal does the heart come from?

Let us know how you got on ...

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    My husband rendered fat from the half cow we bought last fall. He said the fat from the heart was the best. I was out of town so I didn't see it before he rendered it.

Yeah, made the heart tallow as a byproduct of the bone broth. It's sweeter than the kidney fat for sure! Recommended!

Turquoisepassion:
    notontherug:
    Tremendous worms of a swarthy nature pursue me across the sandy blank sky. I stop to think. What the devil AM I up to?!

MightyAl is offline Senior Member
    I did a beef heart in the crock pot last year and it turned out awesome. It so rich and the flavor was great.

I got 2 more hearts recently and decided to slice up and grill one of them. It was certainly a bust. It did not retain the awesome flavor that it had in the slow cooker. The next one is going in the crock pot for sure.
    Check out my primal blog: http://primalroar.posterous.com/

Hmm. I make mine into steak on a regular basis. I think it helps to bathe them in oils and just brown the outside, rare in the middle. Also, try to get a bite of the fat into each bite of the meat. There is definitely more flavor in that fat! But it makes sense that stewing would distribute the flavor best. I just like getting some of the meat raw to cover my nutritional bases. *is picky*

Turquoisepassion:
    notontherug:

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Given the choice, I always buy the hearts with the big sections of fat attached for just this reason. The fat on them renders a beautifully!!!
    I always remove it an render as I prefer my heart seared rare.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

pjgh is offline Senior Member
    Off topic: Love the sig, Knifegill - that's my way of thinking. F**k nutritionalism and just eat real food.