Thread: Trying to understand autophagy page

Trying to understand autophagy

Shop Now
    I am trying to understand the process of autophagy. Looking it up online just brings me to scientific articles that I can't understand. I started LC in January, added IF in March and have gone mostly primal since then. It all started in an effort to reduce inflammation and arthritis pain, and of course to lose weight. I have lost 30 pounds and my symtoms have improved somewhat. My focus is now on healing, which is one reason I love IF. Any explanations or links are greatly appreciated.

Just putting this one at the top of the new posts again. Can anyone direct me to some comprhendable info regarding the effects of IF on autophagy and how it helps the body repair itself. Thanks!

morganpmiller is offline Senior Member
    Is it autophagy you are having a hard time understanding? It's my understanding, that autophagy is the process by which damaged junk is cleaned up and replaced with new healthy cells. I should look this up before I say anything

During a fast, there are a few key pathways that get triggered. When this happens, our bodies kick things into a much higher gear than they normally would be. Autophagy happens all the time, but when we fast, trigger a pathway that causes autophagy to occur at a higher rate than normal, cleaning up and recycling more than our bodies normally would.

The one main area of concern in our bodies when it comes to autophagy is the brain. For life extensionists, foreseeing our ability to keep the body healthly and replace or regenerate body parts seems to be a much less daunting task than doing so for our brains. Autophagy is one of several crucial functions that plays a role in maintaining a healthy brain through our lifespan. The brain is far more sensitive to being damaged by the accumulation of old useless cells than the rest of the body is. So, this is one of the main reasons why you hear that fasting is likely extremely beneficial for brain health.

I posted a research article about a year or so ago discussing the benefits of lithium-one of them being the enhancement of autophagy. I believe I tried to make it clear that lithium was naturally in our foods, and it was available at a low dose as a supplement, but no one replied. I thought it was kinda silly.

Actually, I think the article I posted reported a study done in Japan on how the different naturally occurring lithium levels of different municipalities correlated to overall mortality rates. The municipalities with the highest levels of lithium had the lowest mortality rates. There is plent of other research on lithium suggesting it's benefits.

joshwhiton.com Autophagy

joshwhiton.com The Whiton Protocol

I found these links on paleohacks, maybe this guy will help explain all this better

jakey is offline Senior Member
    dude, i type the word in google, and the first thing to come up is the wikipedia article...

Quote Originally Posted by jakey View Post
    dude, i type the word in google, and the first thing to come up is the wikipedia article...
    Dude, I don't think that made anything any clearer or easier to understand for windypasser.

jakey is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by morganpmiller View Post
    Dude, I don't think that made anything any clearer or easier to understand for windypasser.
    which, my comment, wikipedia or josh whiton?

Quote Originally Posted by jakey View Post
    which, my comment, wikipedia or josh whiton?
    You are right in that wiki does a decent job of explaining what autopghagy is. But, there is no mention of how intermittent fasting induces autophagy, and exactly why this is beneficial.

There actually is a brief mention of starving the body of nutrients inducing autophagy in order to utilize stored nutrients in the body, but that is it.
    Last edited by morganpmiller; 04-23-2012 at 04:19 PM.

Intermittent fasting basically forces the body to utilize all left over resources in order to make up for the absence of calories and nutrition. Part of this process the body engages in as a survival response is to pick up the rate of autophagy- junk is cleaned up and recylced in order to as well as possible utilized whatever the body has to keep things going. When left over junk in our bodies is cleaned up, everything will work better, just like it's easier to operate more efficiently in your bedroom when you clean it up and fold all your clothes. I know, a very basic analogy The more junk accumulates in our bodies, not only do things not operate as well, but more damage will accumulate than is already accumulating naturally. If you don't regularly maintain your car-clean and replace oil, replace airfilters, change tires, etc.- your car will break down much faster than it should.

Autophagy is just one of many things we need to try to keep going at as high a level possible in order to live long healthy lives.