Thread: Real Food: What to Eat and Why by Planck page

bpm
    bpm is offline Junior Member

Shop Now

Hi all,

Anyone read this? It looks very interesting in context of this board's focus. If anyone has read it please let me know your thoughts. If not, I'll pick it up and review it when I get to it (it'll be about 4th in line, so may be several weeks, but I'll get to it).

amazon link:

http://www.amazon.com/Real-Food-What...5073067&sr=8-1

grandma is offline Member

Let us know --- the title seems to say it all.

It's grandma, but you can call me sir.

NeoPaleo is offline Junior Member

Oh, how funny!! I was JUST looking at that book on Amazon this morning! Yeah, it looks interesting, as does "Nourishing Traditions: The Cookbook that Challenges Politically Correct Nutrition and the Diet Dictocrats" by Sally Fallon (of the Weston A. Price foundation)

CaveGirl Guest

I LOVED this book. I was vegetarian for 11 yrs (thinking I was doing the right thing but always sick anyway) and this is the book that changed my life. I changed how I ate (began eating local foods and meats) and I feel a lot better. I recently found MDA and I think Nina's ideas run very similar (although she does profess her love of raw dairy products for being so healthy) but the rest of it is pretty much the same when it comes to MDA (grassfed, pastured, less refines foods and more veggies and fruit along with her healthy portein and fats).

I can't recommend this book enough!!

I recently ordered Mark's book and hope to get it soon. I think both those books together work very well when explaining why eating like youre built to works.

LabRat Guest

Yeah, I've got this one too. Planck is not in the "carbs are bad" camp and quite likes a plate of mashed potatoes with lots of butter, but overall the book is an excellent and eye-opening read. It's part of my library of "things that work", along with Pollan's <i>Defense of Food</i>- I think it's worth noting that despite any other differences, Planck, Pollan, and Paleo/Primal folks all think the base of the food pyramid should be vegetables...

musajen is offline Junior Member

I've read the part on Dairy and I have to credit it for pushing me towards real food and eventually MDA.

Really informative read.

Ecala is offline Junior Member

Yep, excellent book.

Yummy Guest

Agreed. Loved this book. The author seems like a cool lady who eats well and enjoys life.

primalmom is offline Member

oh, I LUV that book ... so much that I am re-reading it now ... as I wait for my PB book - I have to say that the take on raw dairy from Real Food and Weston A Price is really compelling - I have also read Dr Price&#39;s original work and the dairy diet seems to work for quite a few indigenous populations -or at least it did 60+ years ago - Masai, Swiss etc ...

we did get raw milk ("pet milk" LOL) for quite a while for our kids - they loved it - we are going back to it soon

PrimalMom
    Check out my new blog at http://primalmom.blogspot.com

maba is offline Senior Member

What a coincidence, I requested this book at the local library last week, must go pick it up today.