Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal (Marcie) page 2

Marcie is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I think my tiredness is due to working too long and too many days without a break. I'm a bit of a work-a-holic and leave little time for myself. Made a new schedule and no working weekends in May and home by 4 or 5 most days. I've always been a bit lazy to add side dishes to meals so potatoes usually rot before I eat them and I do not miss rice or pasta. But I have a love for cereal, so easy and convenient, a meal in a box! (I know it isn't but . . . ). And snack food (also from a box or bag) because it's portable. I HAVE to order the books pronto. Going on my basic knowledge of counting carbs from Atkins and food picks are coming from recipes on primal or paleo sites so I know I'm eating the right stuff, maybe not enough dark green.

I'm also an emotional eater and don't have a go to plan for those days that are bound to arrive. Maybe I will just eat a chicken!? I feel good today because I went for a nice long walk with my youngest son and the dogs. Then had some leftovers from yesterday and made a berry protein shake. I lost another pound so maybe if I see some movement on the scale it will keep me going. Now I will check out 'carb flu' posts. I find this forum and Mark's blog very informative. Where did you get the cute weight loss picture at the bottom of your posts?

Chatty is offline Senior Member
    I'm glad you're feeling better! That carb flu scared me that I was doing something awfully wrong, but when it passed, I've been feeling fine.

The weight loss ticker comes from: LilySlim - Weight-loss tickers
    Register there and you can choose the graphic, slider and plug-in your info to make the kind you like. They give you the code to paste in your signature here.

Took me forever to find where to do that here. I had to click "notifications" at the top/right of this page, then click "inbox" after that, look at the list on the left and you'll see where to add it to your signature.

I watched the movie "Fat Head" yesterday and I wish I could send you the graphic it had about the amount of carbs/sugar in various foods. It compared them to equal amounts of SUGAR and the cereal had more carbs than the SUGAR! They also explained how the carbs/sugar makes your blood sugar spike and later fall (that's what makes us hungry).

I bought the movie from Amazon, and the additional movies at the end are just as informative as the main movie. There are about 5 interviews at the end that are super-informative. I understand inflammation better now and I hope to keep healthy arteries! I have high cholesterol and was on statin drugs. I tossed them, so it's either eat right or take the medicine. I REFUSE TO TAKE THAT MEDICINE after watching "Fat Head" and learning the side effects! I see my new way of eating now as an absolute necessity. I have no choice. I just had bloodwork at the dr. and won't do it again for one year. We'll see what PB can do for me and if it works (like I believe it will) I'll boldly tell my dr. what I'm doing (and the statin drugs can go to hell! LOL)

I think we're all emotional eaters at one time, or another. I seem to "diet" fine, it's just that I can't maintain. I have an "eat everything in site" or "lose weight" mentality. I know that maintenance is the key, so when I lose weight this time, that's what I'm going to concentrate on. I haven't tried fasting yet, but I've been reading to not concentrate on my DAILY performance. That I should evaluate my WEEKLY performance. I'm tracking my food right now at SparkPeople.com to see what I'm actually eating. Sometimes, I have a high-carb day, but then other days are very low. I average the week to see what I'm REALLY doing! LOL

A nutritionist told me the same thing once. Said to look at the weekly picture, or even a two-week picture. Some days, I don't get my veggies in and it's very low carb -- other days, I load up on veggies -- it all averages out weekly to show what I'm really doing food-wise.

My sister lost 100 lbs. on Adkins. I saw what she was doing (staying below 20 carbs) and didn't think it was healthy. She gained all the weight back. We were talking yesterday and I told her about PB (because I knew she understands low carb). She said "Yeah, but you get so sick of eating such a limited diet."

"Limited?" I said?!? I can eat between 50 - 100 carbs and lose weight. She was surprised and asked to read my PB book. Maybe she'll get inspired again, but this time, eat more healthfully with some good fruit and veggies. She has hip problems and the dr. told her she needs a hip replacement. Losing 100 lbs. surely would help the situation.

A few months ago, I met a man that said he lost 100 lbs. on Adkins -- 10 YEARS ago -- and has kept it off. (Now this is someone to listen to!) He said that people misunderstand Adkins and limit their carbs too much. He told me to get the book, "Adkins for Life" and believe it. He said he pretty-much eats what he wants now and "averages it out." That's my next goal -- read that book.

GOOD LUCK TO US ALL!
    Last edited by Chatty; 05-04-2012 at 05:08 AM.

You should get your sister going on PB. I have over 100lbs to lose too!

I think that journaling is a major part (for me anyway) as I believe that weight watchers sort of worked for me because of the meetings, the stories and support was something I needed. Unfortunately it was a bit pricey and I couldn't always fit the meetings into my schedule. On this site I can find all that and more minus the membership fees; 24 hour at my convenience.

My day begins with this (reading forums) while I do a load of laundry, have breakfast (I was going to use the word leisurely but it is far from that) and kids cats and dogs are all snoozing peacefully. Mayhem begins shortly when I have to get everyone out the door on time. Tonight I would like steak smothered in mushrooms and I'll find a new side dish. Maybe that creamy spinach . . . . tummy is getting hungry so time to get on the move. Feels like an awesome weekend coming up. Cheers!

Yep, I feel an awesome weekend coming up as well!

Well I just finished watching Fat Head on Netflix and it was awesome. Isn't it crazy how easily people can be convinced but how hard it is to change their minds back to reality! Low-fat sounds like it should work but I know it doesn't. I enjoyed my steak while watching the movie and felt good about it. Yay me!

After I watched Fat Head, I watched Food Inc. Wow, scary stuff. Today I am making time to go to the local butcher. Horrifying images go through my mind as I eat the only preservative free bacon I can find, still processed by a huge corporation. Going to get my garden in order too. Can't plant around here until May long weekend (third weekend) and even then we can still get frost.

I have to scale back on work too. Why are we so driven to make as much money as possible in a small amount of time? Need to spend some time rearranging my priorities. So I will read info from Mark on the site while my breakfast cooks and try and limit my time on computer. Also create a signature and see if I can start tracking my food better. Today I take my measurements (I know I should have done that already) and I will take that scary picture I so dread. I have virtually no pictures of myself, just images in my head of how I see myself; younger, not as fat as I really am (can't say thinner because last time I was thin I was probably 9), and pretty. I can get there, but a little reality check is in order.

Weight is 239.5 (thank you .5) so I continue in the right direction. I no longer snack after supper, I just realized that this morning as I was wondering why I wake up so hungry. Must be because I haven't eaten for over 12 hours; that is a major accomplishment in itself. I don't miss chips but I'm pretty sure one taste would send me spiralling out of control. Good luck to all on today's journey. I feel very positive today!

Just seeing if my signature works
    Last edited by Marcie; 05-05-2012 at 08:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcie View Post
    Just seeing if my signature works
    Looking good, Marcie!

Yesterday was great. I have found a nice sandy spot on the river close to home to take the dogs. I ran up and down with them a few times (not much but a start) and raced my 9 year old. Off on a working adventure for two days. We went to the next little town to the butcher and bought some nice fresh meat. Cattle are in the pasture next to the farm yard. He butchers and sells his own and other local meat. Guys ahead of me were drunk as skunks and bought $230 worth of jerky PLUS meat. Gotta love small towns. Bought some jerky, back bacon, bacon, ribs and streaks (beautiful - one is really 2). Corn is not a crop around here as we are north and have a shorter growing season. Farmers make chop (mixture of oats, wheat or barley) plus alfalfa hay in winter and pastured all summer. Grass is just starting to green up here. Cattle farms are small and not too many. Also Elk and Bison Farms in the area.

Made primal pancakes with almond flour. Added a tablespoon of maple syrup (maybe two) to berry mix and was tasty enough but very filling. Will keep trying recipes until I get a good one.

My oldest son and I are off for a job 4 hours northwest. He is doing most of the work and is actually staying at a hunting lodge with a deck right on the lake. I'm thinking I should have taken that job! It's bear season so I don't think he will be asking for any fresh meat from the hunters! Be back on Tuesday, spotty cell service and internet but it's not that important.

Need to remind myself not to shop when I am hungry. I'm the only one primal (so far) and I bought cupcakes for the kids. Ate one, tasted yummy so I ate another. Bad. Maybe that is why I have a touch of a headache? Took my measurements yesterday, that's depressing. Also need to only weigh in once a week. Watching the scale is not a good idea.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I'll bet the kids would have loved blueberries with whipped cream instead of a cupcake.
    I figure, what's good for you is also good for them!
    I had a great weekend too -- your "job" sounds lovely.
    My house sits beside a pond and I could stay on the back deck FOREVER.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast