Thread: Gets sick usually when on vacation? page

trtennis17 is offline Junior Member

Gets sick usually when on vacation?

Primal Fuel
    I have been on and off on eating primal but i am making sure to go 100% this time. I will be going on vacation in july to a tropical island. Last summer, i went to mexico and after two days there i caught a very bad fever and sore throat and was out for two days. This often happens to me when i go away from home for at least a week. My family says i get sick all the time because i'm so picky (avoiding grains & dairy) & i said i'm just trying to eat healthier. Does this usually happen to you? Would eating primal boost my prevention of getting sick every so often?

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Eating primal does tend to reduce illness and infection.

I can sympathise. I always come back from 2-week holidays feeling malnourished due to food intolerances making my diet quite restrictive. Lack of vegetables is always a major issue, especially when travelling in countries where one is advised to avoid salads as they're rinsed in unsafe water. Deciding what to eat is usually a matter of choosing the least of various evils - whichever food will make me less ill.

Take plenty of food with you, e.g. tinned fish and meat. And when you find suitable food, gorge on it!
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

MarissaLinnea is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Just wanted to add that this happens to my fiancee every time he goes on vacation. He always ends up getting sick if he has more than a day or two off from work in a row. I think it has to do with the fact that when he's plowing through working, his stress response stays elevated and when he finally takes a vacation, his body relaxes and his immunities go down, I dunno that's the best I could come up with because it literally happens every time. I'm no expert though.