Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal (Seth "BONZ" Williams) page 2

BONZ is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by LSUhoneybadger View Post

Nice to see your progress and hope to see you continue and maintain. Whats your daily diet looking like nowadays?

My diet is a little harder to nail down, the only time I get to prepare my own food is over the weekend. I work six days a week and have to rely on the military chowhall so I'm basically cherry picking their menu for animals and vegatable. I'm a 3 or 4 eggs and a stack of bacon guy for breakfast, but at lunch I just have to grab whatever meat portion is available with a salad. Up until this point, I've been IF from lunch until breakfast the next morning but I'm thinking I'll come off fasting for a week or two just to see how it feels.
    Went Primal: 20 DEC 2011
    Starting: 6'1" 220 lbs
    Starting Energy: "bleh...."
    Current: 183 lbs @ 8.33% BF (Jackson/Pollock 4 caliper method)
    Current Energy: "WOOHOO!" See my journal HERE.

"Paleo? Try it, but be wary of the cult mentality that comes with it. Paleovangelists are everywhere and a bit scary."

MONTH 5: MAY 19th 2012

Alright, one more month down. One very minor muscle strain, but otherwise smooth sailing. I bailed on IF after hurting my back, if for no other reason than to mix it up a bit. I'm sitting at 174 lbs, 2 lbs lighter than this time last month. Stronger, with more definition in the mid section. Slight change to weight training, I stay below 300 lbs on squats hoping to avoid injury but I've upped the reps. I'm on a back-weighted Smith machine, zero effective resistance. Since 6 45 lbs plates is 270 lbs, and I'm a guy who likes simplicity, I stick with that but I'm still trying to "jump" the weight. Note to self, careful just how hard you go up. Yesterday, I came up.... the bar came up.... off my traps.... and back down much closer to my spine than I was comfortable with. I think I'm bound and determined to kill myself! Apparently I need to reread everything Mark has ever written about avoiding trauma....

"Paleo? Try it, but be wary of the cult mentality that comes with it. Paleovangelists are everywhere and a bit scary."

Thought I'd add the unflexed version for good measure. The great thing is, I don't do ab workouts..... Did I tell you how much I love this site?

20 MAY 2012 - 5 MONTHS:

MONTH 6: 20 MAY to 20 JUNE 2012

Well, here we are ...... 6 months into this primal journey. Holding steady at 175 lbs, stronger every week I'm in the gym, and feeling as good as I've ever felt. Oh yeah, did I mention I quit smoking? Little background on that one, I've been smoking for 20 years.... and I'm only 33, so that should tell you everything you need to know. It was one of my first rebellious childhood habits, and the last one I still needed to break. It occurred to me that, with all of the people who've asked me how I've done what I've done, I've spent all this time explaining concepts of good health, proper ways to exercise, and the benefits of finding this new paradigm that I couldn't be any more hypocritical. Yeah, I got my abs back without doing a situp..... my cardio level and endurance have improved, I can run a basketball game with the best of the 20 year old active duty military guys around here.... but I'm still inhaling poison.... on purpose..... to the tune of a half pack to pack of cigarettes a day. Quitting was going to happen before the wifey and I had chilenz.... but I really could rationalize waiting for that anymore, not without just blatantly lying to myself. I've now realized that I developed, mentally and physically, under the influence of nicotine (not to mention all the pollution in my lungs)..... and removing that is a significant event. The only other time I'd not smoked was USMC boot camp, three months of no chemical stimulant..... but external stress and internal cortisol response was the least of my worries. I was so blitzed with fight or flight response, nicotine withdrawal pretty much went unnoticed. This time though.... well, It's been about 8 days.... I haven't had a good night's sleep in 8 days. I seem to sleep in 2 hour blocks. Last night was an improvement, although I think extended deprivation had a cumulative effect that my body couldn't overcome, but even that was interrupted by a failed AC. When it's over 100 degrees after midnight, AC is a bit of a must. It's actually been kind of entertaining just mentally taking note of all the involuntary physical and emotional responses I've had. All mild, just below the surface, but I know they're there which kind of cracks me up. You should have to wear a shirt that designates you as a physical threat to coworkers when you quit smoking. Something like, "WARNING, ONE ARMS DISTANCE! RESULTANT SPONTANEOUS KNEE AND ELBOW STRIKES TO THE HEAD AND NECK AREA!"

It's a marathon right? Damn I'm enjoying the ride.....

20 June 2012, the 6 month mark:

Last edited by BONZ; 06-20-2012 at 09:49 AM.

Metric is offline Senior Member
    Wow. Amazing progress! Way to go! I'm going to subscribe.

Cheers,
    Jennifer

Whoa, Jen, you just started..... I'm excited for you if that makes any sense! I know where I've been, the road I've been on for the last 6 months.... You've got some very satisfying, gratifying days coming your way.

Metric is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BONZ View Post
    Whoa, Jen, you just started..... I'm excited for you if that makes any sense! I know where I've been, the road I've been on for the last 6 months.... You've got some very satisfying, gratifying days coming your way.
    Thanks! I'm coming up to 60 days primal on June 30th.

So far, my exercise has been mainly walking (at least 6 hours per week). As of Day 61, I'm going to also start adding sprinting and weights/body weight movements to my weekly workouts.

Hopefully I'll continue to see some improvements.

Back from vacation, I took the whole month of July off (that would be from work and workouts). Alternately, I think I walked every square inch of New Orleans and spent some time playing in the river in the Texas hill country. I traded structured strength training for a lot of low intensity play. Came back a month later at exactly the same weight and only slightly softer in the mid-section. That's a success in my book. One side note, the first day back on the squat rack after a month off sucks.... and never jump right back in with the same wieght you left off on. All that aside, here's what I really wanted to document ..... my resting heart rate is 48 BPM. My HR has never been that low. I'm attributing this to 40 lbs less body wieght to carry around and quiting smoking in June. I'm hoping this is just my new norm, but I've got to say I was a little concerned when I first saw it. That's a hell of a drop from where I used to be, somewhere in the 70s.

While I'm at it, may as well update my weight training routine. I've gone straight up Stronglifts 5x5. Mehdi is the man, it doesn't get any more simple than this. I'm also doing the Armstrong Pullup Program (PDF) along with some occasional pickup basketball games.
    Last edited by BONZ; 08-15-2012 at 05:38 AM.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    For the record:

Got a glucose monitor yesterday to establish a baseline and see what effect, if any, food and excercise has on my blood glucose numbers.

16 AUG
    1830: 109 mg/dl (2 hours post meal)

17 AUG
    0430: 93 mg/dl (Immediately after waking, fasted)

0645: BREAKFAST 5 egg omelet loaded, 8 pcs of bacon and 2 sausage patties

0715: 97 mg/dl (30 minutes after breakfast)
    0745: 103 mg/dl (1 hour post breakfast)
    0815: 109 mg/dl (1.5 post breakfast plus two shots of espresso)
    0845: 107 mg/dl (2 hours post breakfast w/ two more shots of espresso)
    1015: 105 mg/dl (3.5 hours post breakfast/ pre-work out, SEE NOTES BELOW*)

1100: WOD 5x5 heavies and basketbal totaling 2 hours

1315: 93 mg/dl (Post workout)

1330: LUNCH Big ass salad, 2 chicken breasts, coconut water w/15 grams of sugar, Quest protein bar w/20 grams of protein

1430: 92 mg/dl (1 hour Post lunch)
    1515: 95 mg/dl (1.75 hours post lunch)

18 AUG: Up early to watch my Saints whip that Jaguar ass!
    0300: 84 mg/dl (Just after waking, fasted)
    0315: SNACK Quest protein bar (20 grams protein) and 1 oz macadamia nuts
    0530: 87 mg/dl (2.25 hours post snack)
    0800: BREAKFAST 5 egg omelet loaded, 10 pcs bacon, two sausage links
    0945: Quest protein bar
    1000: 109 md/dl (2 hours post breakfast)

*Now I'm starting to wonder about this monitor. OneTouch UltraMini. I just got 5 readings, 3 different ballparks.
    1015: I got 124 mg/dl, 95 mg/dl, 105 mg/dl, 104 mg/dl, and 99 mg/dl all within two minutes of each other. Oh well, whaddaya expect for under $20? For sanity's sake, we'll go with 105 in the timeline above.*
    Last edited by BONZ; 08-18-2012 at 01:02 AM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast