Thread: Good meal to cook for the primal curious? page

lesliek is offline Member

Shop Now

I'm making dinner tomorrow night with some friends who are curious to learn more primal/paleo nutrition. They are foodies, so would probably like something more interesting than just cooking up some slabs of meat and veggies. I've made coconut chicken and chutney with them before. Any ideas?

Brewtality Guest

How about grilled barbeque whatever meat you want.

Make your own primal sauce, with tomatoe paste (or fresh if you dont mind cooking it for a while), garlic, onion, a little pineapple for sweetness, apple cider vinager, water, and olive oil (gives it a nice shine). Put it all in the food processor until its smooth and adjust ingredients until it tastes right.

grilled asparagus wrapped in bacon and spagetti squash in a lemon pepper butter sauce for sides. Maybe even a sweet potato since they are not used to being primal.

Desert would be a banana split lengthwise, fried in butter, to caramelize the sugars. A little 98% cocoa chocolate drizzled over it... and maybe a spoonful of whipped cream on the side if you are ok with dairy.

A decent bottle of red wine will wash that all down well.

People tend to think of sweet food when they think of stuff they love. I want them to think of rich and savory when they think primal. Make it decadent with the good fats and oils.

Fern is offline Senior Member

Your idea for the BBQ sauce just made my mouth water I have got to try making that! I'm very new to primal and that just made my whole week.

My blog - About me, my family, and my hobbies!

*Please ignore my horrible typing and grammar I am usually typing it all on my very uncooperative phone*

Brewtality Guest

Well, to make it easier for you, I am just taking the basic ketchup recipe from http://www.marksdailyapple.com/alter...iment-recipes/ , and add in the olive oil, and pinaple.

There is a barbeque sauce recipe on that page too, but it just didnt do it for me.

janaturner is offline Junior Member

We went to friends for dinner last night and had roast beef tenderloin. Wow, forgot how great that is (going to get one this afternoon!). Easy to make and amazing flavor - sear on the stove and then roast in the oven. You could have sweet potatoes and a great salad with it or the sides Brewtality suggested. And if you do dairy I love marscapone with berries and dark chocolate for dessert. It's super easy.

warren is offline Junior Member

I took a pot of my own primal-chili to a potluck the other night and my friends cleaned it out! I used to always put beans in my chili now its just meat, veggies and lots of spices. very satisfying. I have also found Korean style lettuce wraps to be a good primal intro food. As for my veg/vegan friends...sigh.

lesliek is offline Member

I forgot to thank you guys for these suggestions. I ended up scrambling last minute to put a meal together with ingredients I already had. I made SoG's guacamole beef, some sauteed carrots, and chocolate custard for dessert. It was a big hit. I loved your grilling idea @Brewtality, but they didn't have a grill. I'm definitely putting it on the list for one of our future meals when it's at my place!

@warren: Chili and lettuce wraps? My stomach is growling! Do you have a particularly good recipe for the Korean lettuce wraps?