Thread: Breaking the fast? page

KV8R is offline Senior Member

Breaking the fast?

What does it take to break the fast? I'm attempting a lean gains style 16/8 eating window, But tonight was a night out and it kinda got me wondering. If my eating window closes at, say. 8:00, and I eat a slice of cheese, does that count? what about 2 slices? 3? or no cheese, a spoonful of coconut oil in my coffee before the eating window opens, does that break the fast? or does it take two? or more?

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Most people don't count fat. So you could do some coconut oil or some cream in coffee. Cheese on the other hand has protein and carbs....most seem to consider any appreciable amount of these as breaking the fast.

jakey is offline Senior Member
    by berkhan's rules? i don't know, precisely. i've heard him say he puts cream in his coffee, and i know he takes BCAAs... so it's mostly based on calories, and i would think you'd want them to be negligible. from the point of view of autophagy and many of the other health benefits of a fast, protein and carbs are what really kill the release of growth hormone, and stop the autophagy process. coconut oil would not be a problem. but for leangains, and weightloss - it's a different story.

MarissaLinnea is offline Senior Member
    So if you have Bulletproof coffee in the morning but nothing else, does that mean you are technically still fasting?

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    My understanding from what I have researched says yes, that is okay and you are still fasting. Someone else will know more, but it seems to be okay. I am hoping so anyways. I dont think I could make it w/o it.

KV8R is offline Senior Member
    Ok, thanks for the replies. I don't normally consume anything outside of the eating window, so it was mostly just a question out of curiosity. I might start putting coconut oil back in my morning coffee again though, I've been drinking one plain black cup in the morning, then maybe another cup with oil in the afternoon sometimes.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Again, someone else will know more, but from what I have read, well some say yes to coffee (caffeine) some say no, but the majority say yes, and most seem to agree that teas like green teas are beneficial. After reading that, I checked my stash and I had one from my Mennonite Dutch Store called "Fasting Tea" I dont remember now what was in it, but it was all stuff I could pronounce & recognized (I just can't remember)

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by KV8R View Post
    Ok, thanks for the replies. I don't normally consume anything outside of the eating window, so it was mostly just a question out of curiosity. I might start putting coconut oil back in my morning coffee again though, I've been drinking one plain black cup in the morning, then maybe another cup with oil in the afternoon sometimes.
    Yeah, If your speaking strictly lean gains....well your getting into lean gains TM territory, if you know what I mean . As far as what the science says about it jakeys answer covers it, and if you wanted more you could read the six part series Sisson just did on it. Here is part six http://www.marksdailyapple.com/why-f...#axzz1smYLm6iZ Sure you can get to the others from there. I think the bullet proof coffee bit is all about keeping that therapeutic mode of fasting going while giving you some energy....I think that might be a bit overkill on calories for what your looking for in lean gains though.