Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Finding my healthy self after 2 kids page 2

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Wow is it hot here! We've had some weird weather swings here this spring. It was 80 in March, but been 40-50 since then. Today it hit 90! Have all the fans running and the kids in summer pjs today. Wonderful though to be able to go on family walks after dinner. DD took a long time eating tonight, so we let her bring her burger with us on the walk. Trying to get weight on her, so we're a little more flexible. I played soccer last night, the whole game on the field. It was a lot of fun and we won.
    Looks like I didn't record my weights from last weekend. On Sunday I did some light lifting. What a mistake since I was apparently on the edge of getting sick. Felt quite dizzy afterwards, but had horrible cramping and stomachache for ~36hrs after. Clearly not related to the exercising as everyone else in the house has had a fever in the past week. For dexterity's sake, here's what I did:
    Supersets:
    A) Squat 4x5, 65, 75, 85, 90
    Pushups 4x10 (knees)
    B) Clean and Jerk 4x5, 45, 55, 60, 65
    Dumbbell bench on ball 4x10 w/ 15's
    Then finished with 24 walking lunges
    I was sore for 2 days, but not sure how exactly the illness factored into my recovery. I'm not sore at all from soccer last night. Hoping to get in some more lifting on Saturday. Looking forward to seeing if I've lost anything this week. Yay for Friday tomorrow and DH only having 4 weeks left of work till summer!

Another wonderful Saturday. Both kids were really dragging this morning, although I'm not sure why. Everyone actually slept pretty well last night. Perhaps that old more tired once you get some rest is hitting them. DD took a 2.5hr nap today, which is quite rare for her. DS only slept ~30min in his crib, but then snuggled up between DH and I for another ~1.5hrs. I love snuggling with him, but I feel bad during the week when DD has to entertain herself so he can rest.

Was a little disappointed this morning with my weigh-in, stuck at 183.4lbs. But the body fat % nudged down to 41%. I don't know how accurate that scale is, but I also took measurements today and those can't lie. I'm down 5.5" overall since going wheat free in January. How awesome is that? Biggest losses are my belly (yay) and my neck (surprise!) Excited to see the continued progress as I will continue to measure every 4 weeks.

I did the PB body weight workout today and it kicked my butt. First I determined my apprporiate levels for each exercise. Here's what I could do:
    Pushups: 10 = L2
    Pullups: 0 = L1
    Squats: stopped at 61 = L4
    Plank: 31s = L2
    From there I did the first round with 2 cycles. Push-ups were easy until the last few on cycle 2. Pull-ups were hard, had to split each cycle into two parts. I've never worked on doing pull-ups before, so that isn't a surprise. Squats were easy, so I'm planning to go to L5 next time. Planks were hard and hurt my shoulders a little. I think this will be good and it will be fun to see my progression. I think I might need to add some sort of deadlift or something for my hamstrings though. I will check out Body By Science if I get bored with this routine.

First sprints!
    Was thwarted by the weather this morning in my first sprint attempt. When we arrived at the park I saw a flash of lightning and then a few drops fell on my first warm-up sprint. So we put the kids back in the stroller and headed home. Just after we stepped inside it started to downpour. Had lunch, put the kids down for their nap. After naps and snack time we headed back to the park. DH and I did our sprints while the kids played, it was great. The kids played together on the slides a little and got in their own workout trying to run after us. A great learning experience for them to see mom and dad doing things to stay healthy. We'll see how my body feels in the morning.

Also turned the dirt in the garden. Had planned to start planting today, but after the storm it's too wet. So will wait until later this week, Tuesday at the earliest since I'm tutoring tomorrow. I think it's supposed to be rainy until Wednesday though and we need it to dry out some first. We may need to go buy some top soil as well since the compost doesn't seem to quite be ready. This is going to be an interesting trial summer with the garden.

Had my first real "cheat" in a while as we baked the gluten free/dairy free cookies my dad bought for us. They were good, but I don't have the same desire to eat all of them like I might previously. DH definitely has that desire though, which is interesting.

Time to go make some egg muffins for the week and work on dinner!

I can't quite put my finger on I'm feeling. Not overwhelmed, I have plenty of "down time", although nearly all of it is with the kids. Even now DS is asleep on me. I love his snuggles, but I have been feeling overtouched by the kids lately I think.
    I feel like I should be doing so much more for the kids too. I think I'm addicted to my computer, I need to close it more. That's easy when it's nice out and we're outside. But it has an invisible force when we're stuck inside. I need to do a better job crafting activities for the kids to do. DD is craving preschool type things (but at a K/1 level) and I need to indulge her. I think she feels like the focus is on DS a lot because he's smaller and doesn't fully understand yet. We're not sending her to preschool, so I need to get on the ball. Really I need to organize everything a little better so they can both have an activity to do that's similar so DS feels included but DD can work to her own level. So this weekend I shall spend time figuring this out.
    I think I'm getting a little burned out as I have been working 15-20+ hours/week lately. And it doesn't help that they're pushing me to do a little more. Wearing 5 different hats for the same company is starting to have some conflicts. Only 3.5 more weeks before DH is home for the summer though. So I need to push through and then I'll have time to relax.

This has been a week full of stress. Yesterday nobody really napped, and of course I had signed up to tutor. So that was pretty tricky. Then DS kept running away while I was trying to plant the garden. Got it done, but took a lot longer than necessary. Tonight I'm just exhausted. Not sure if it's from all the outside time the past few days or what. I don't feel real hungry, so I don't think it's food related. Although I could be low on carbs lately since for no particular reason we did meat and veggies for dinner this week a lot with no potatoes or other starch. Bought a big bag of potatoes today, so will try to remedy that this week. Hopefully a good night's sleep will help.

We're thinking about selling the house and moving to an apartment/townhouse that is rented for a while. We'll have to downsize a lot of our stuff, but we truly long to be able to walk places. I would love to be able to get to a bigger park. Ours has 3 slides but nothing other than stairs for the kids to climb on. There's nothing for them to hang on/swing from and so after 20 minutes they get bored. We spent over an hour at a different park today. Spending time just letting them wander in an open field is wonderful and it made me very glad that I'm able to stay home with them. I do envision the opportunities I'll be able to provide them with less stress on me if we can sell and move to somewhere walkable. Both kids love going for walks too. A real estate agent is coming over Monday to take a look at our house and some others and see what we might be able to sell for. Still hoping that DH will get a new job for the fall. We've both kind of fallen in love with an idea of a school he applied for that would allow us to live in a perfect area and DH could walk to work. It would be wonderful to downsize to 1 car, reducing insurance and gas costs. And in that area we would really be using the car to get to sports activities/grocery shopping, so certainly not daily.

Can't wait to see what the future holds! Not feeling very skinny this week, we'll see what the scale says tomorrow. Tomorrow morning will be cleaning the house, tomorrow afternoon lifting and relaxing.

[QUOTE=teach2183;820924]Pushups: 10 = L2
    Pullups: 0 = L1
    Squats: stopped at 61 = L4
    Plank: 31s = L2
    [QUOTE]

Gave it another shot today and seeing some improvement.
    Push-ups L2, tough but good
    Squats L5, not sure if I should be alternating or one side, then the other for full sets. Tried both ways and wasn't too bad.
    Pull-ups L1, definitely seeing improvement here though 10/10 and 15/5
    Plank L2, getting easier, not as rough on my shoulders

Also did quite a bit of cleaning/decluttering today, which means a lot of walking all over to put things away. It's nice to see part of the house with less clutter as well. Off to take a shower and then see if I have enough energy to keep tackling the kitchen. And of course it waited to rain until AFTER I watered the garden!

Had a nice mother's day today. Worked this morning, cleaned a little more, then had lunch with the ILs. I was doing great until I ate a fudge chocolate cake for dessert. Apparently my stomach has become accustomed to goo, non-grain foods because it did not feel good this afternoon. I can't believe how fast it hit me either! Will definitely be staying away from the wheat in the future and go with ice cream for my treat.

I am still sore from lifting yesterday, so no sprint workout this week. Still have soccer Wed, so it's not like I won't do any sprints.

Got a new tutoring client tonight, so will miss dinner with family tomorrow night and possibly Tuesday. Might be my chance to end up eating a really light dinner or not at all, we'll see how I'm feeling. I hope it doesn't stress DH out too much to have me gone. I will put dinner together before I leave. Then again, I'm home with the kids all day so he can handle 2 hours while I'm tutoring. I'll be back for bed time so DS can nurse. Looking forward to work with this student, but the first visit is always nerve-wrecking.

Off to do the last bit of cleaning of the kitchen so it's fully done. It's weird to have an area of the house so clean and decluttered! But so nice to look at.

Today was a wonderful day. Had a nice breakfast with the kids, did a little more cleaning, then walked down to the park with the kids. Had a good lunch, got work done during naps, played outside with the kids some more, then had a great tutoring session. I think I forgot how much I like tutoring HS students and what good money it can be. This could be the ticket to next year for us if DH doesn't find a new job. I definitely missed the kids while I was gone, but it's quality Dad time for them and he doesn't have to feel second fiddle. Plus they were all excited when I got home. Perfect timing too, because I just missed some play time, dinner, and a walk. Tomorrow I'm going a bit earlier so should even be home for a walk.

I think I overstretched my quads on Saturday because they still are really sore. Everything else is fine but them. I kneeled at one point and leaned back, felt good at the time, but apparently that was too much. Not much to do now but try to let them rest. Hopefully they'll be better by Saturday so I don't have to skip lifting.

Get to relax tonight, which is nice. Not real hungry even though I missed diner. Can't decide whether I should just skip it altogether or have something small. I'm kind of worried that if I don't eat I'll wake up starving. I finished lunch before noon, so it's been 7.5 hours since I ate and waiting until tomorrow would put me at ~19 hours. I'm a little worried that it might tank my supply for breastfeeding. Pretty cool that I'm not super hungry though, because before I would have needed a snack before heading to tutoring. This is totally a new world for me!

Things are going pretty well. I have been trying to follow my body's cues and eating until no longer hungry. I've been eating 1 square of chocolate more often lately, every other night or so. But I'm down another pound, just over 12lbs gone total. I'm enjoying working out, even if I only fit it in once a week. Will try to sprint tomorrow as well. I'm only 2lbs away from seeing a new decade of pounds. I haven't been below 180 since before I was pregnant with DD, so coming upon 5 years.

Looking at make some big changes coming up. Spending the next 2 weeks cleaning the house and getting rid of stuff. Will be having a large garage sale in June when our town does theirs. Afterwards everything left will be donated to good will. Ready to have less things and we're definitely discovering that as a family we don't need a ton of space. I realize that as the kids get older they'll want a little more space, but definitely thinking for the next couple years we could handle an apartment with a park nearby. DH has an interview on Tuesday that could allow us to shave ~$600/m off our budget, how awesome would that be! Plus DH's pay would go up by ~$500/m, so we could pay off the car and save to get a new house. Met with the RE yesterday and there's not a ton we need to do. Just majory purging and cleaning. Have made a pretty good dent already though. Have decluttered nearly completely the kitchen, dining, living rooms, and front hall. Also completed DD's room today. DS's room should be pretty easy. That will leave me a couple days to get our bedroom under control, a day for each bathroom, and then several days for the basement. After that we'll just need to actually clean and be ready to show! I hope we can sell without paying a bunch of money. It's hard to believe that we're going to lose over $60k in just 5 years on this place.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by teach2183 View Post
    Push-ups L2, tough but good
    Squats L5, not sure if I should be alternating or one side, then the other for full sets. Tried both ways and wasn't too bad.
    Pull-ups L1, definitely seeing improvement here though 10/10 and 15/5
    Plank L2, getting easier, not as rough on my shoulders
    Got in my lifting yesterday. Seeing a little more improvement which is great. Not sore at all today, so last week must have been from overstretching, even though it felt good at the time.
    Pushups L2, still tough but getting easier
    Pullups L1, 15/5 and all 20, this was awesome to accomplish. I love seeing this progress!
    Squats L5, thinking just 1 more week and then going to L6
    Plank L2, right shoulder was bothering me on the side ones

Also did my sprints today and it felt great. Much warmer today than 2 weeks agom so rested a little longer between sprints. But felt strong which is a great feeling. Really looking forward to steak for dinner tonight!

In other news, my period is a little late. I can't be pregnant so I wonder what's up. No call to a doctor or anything until I'm at least a week late.

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast