Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is there such a thing as "starvation mode"? page

Whatyoudoing is offline Member

Is there such a thing as "starvation mode"?

Primal Fuel
    If so, when/how does this occur?

Bukawww is offline Senior Member
    I think I've read around 72 hrs of reduced calories.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Any chronic low-calorie diet.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Quote Originally Posted by paleo-bunny View Post
    Any chronic low-calorie diet.
    What if you eat less than you need for multiple days and eat back your deficit back in 2-3 days on a regular basis?

Quote Originally Posted by Whatyoudoing View Post
    What if you eat less than you need for multiple days and eat back your deficit back in 2-3 days on a regular basis?
    That's a good way of fooling your body that it's in a fed state, so it's not a chronic low-calorie diet.

I'm only in deficit about 2 days a week now, and losing about a lb a month. I'm currently upping my exercise to increase the deficit on 3-4 days a week which I expect will cause weight loss to rise to 2-4 lbs a week. Hard to say as I only have about 15 lbs left to lose now.

The number of days a week you need to be in deficit depends on what your goals are.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Quote Originally Posted by paleo-bunny View Post
    That's a good way of fooling your body that it's in a fed state, so it's not a chronic low-calorie diet.

I'm only in deficit about 2 days a week now, and losing about a lb a month. I'm currently upping my exercise to increase the deficit on 3-4 days a week which I expect will cause weight loss to rise to 2-4 lbs a week. Hard to say as I only have about 15 lbs left to lose now.

The number of days a week you need to be in deficit depends on what your goals are.
    Actually my goal is to maintain weight but during the week I don't have much time to cook etc and I refuse to eat crap so I'm not eating enough on those days, In the weekend I'll be super hungry and eat it all back

Quote Originally Posted by Whatyoudoing View Post
    Actually my goal is to maintain weight but during the week I don't have much time to cook etc and I refuse to eat crap so I'm not eating enough on those days, In the weekend I'll be super hungry and eat it all back
    Sounds like that could work well for you.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Starvation mode is where you are actually starving. If you just skip a meal now and then, that is not starving. There are hormonal things that happen to you when you skip meals that can actually help you. So you are way better off having an intermittent calorie deficit than a chronic, long-term one, as a chronic long-term one is actual starvation.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

PrimalPotter is offline Senior Member
    I was at the dr.'s office yesterday, talking with an RN about intermittent fasting. She just could not comprehend that your body doesn't go into "starvation mode" if you skip a meal here & there, unless you're already starving yourself by eating low-calorie, low-fat for a long time.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimalPotter View Post
    I was at the dr.'s office yesterday, talking with an RN about intermittent fasting. She just could not comprehend that your body doesn't go into "starvation mode" if you skip a meal here & there, unless you're already starving yourself by eating low-calorie, low-fat for a long time.
    Wow, that's sad. It's pretty simple. "Starvation mode" is when you don't eat enough over the long run to keep up with your body's needs.

Skipping a meal is just... life.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast