Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Last time you bought food that was packaged? page 2

Issabeau is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    I had family staying with me for a week where we did lots of driving. I bought a few boxes of granola bars, crackers, and fruit bars for the in the car. The family is not primal and I figured it was still better then getting fast food.

For myself, about 3 months ago I had a terrible day. I went out and bought and package of oreo cookies. I ate about 15 cookies in one sitting. I threw up about about an hour later
    Isn't it amazing how much waste only a small amount of packaged items create? We used to have a trashcan in the car for when we travelled, our waste output was that bad. Since going primal there is no waste (well besides our own :-P) since everything is fresh, in a Cooler, in my glass container from home.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    How's your Mom doing Issabeau? I recall that you posted that she was unwell a few weeks back, and I hope that she is doing better now.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    hmm. when my family was here around christmas time, we bought cookies for them. or rather, they bought cookies (and coke zero). it was very weird for us.

in february, we got some little bird brand raw vegan macaroons. The passionfruit mango ones are so awesome. they are primal though.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Sometimes it seems like the waste is worse, though. The grassfed beef I buy comes in vacuum packed plastic. Usually it's in about 1lb increments. So I will open say some ground beef and then have to wrap the leftover beef in a plastic bag, then the meat juices dribble out into the bag so finally once I'm finished, I have two plastic items covered in meat juice. If I put that in the kitchen trashcan, it smells horrible by the end of the day. Even if I wash the plastic out first. So now I have to make more trips to the outside trash. Plus then there are the bones that also have to be disposed of. We tend to also put bones into a plastic bag and put that in the trash. All this waste really bugs me. I can buy vegetables in plastic bags I've washed and reused, or in fabric ones I've sewn (yeah, I really did this). Then I can throw all the vegetable waste into the compost.

Anyway, the last packaged item I bought was jarred spaghetti sauce and a liver/porcini mushroom pate. My boyfriend isn't on the plan, so there is a pantry in the house that is often full of various Trader Joe's temptations.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

sbhikes:

here are some solutions:

1. go to a butcher and get meat directly from them and have them put it into your own jars. they can measure it on that little paper to get the weight, and give you the sticker for check-out, and then transfer it to a jar.

this will get rid of the plastic wrappers, etc.

2. you can start a bokashi bin for the meats. it's a double-compost process, but on talking with a friend of mine, he puts a combination of some green kitchen waste and the meat bones and then also the bokashi starter (which you can make your own with newsprint pretty easily). So, your first wave of compost is the meat bones in bokashi, and when it's fermented, you can move it to your regular cold/vermiculture compost, and they'll take care of it.

We use re-useable vegetable/fruit bags now too. It's nice. I'm *slowly* converting DH to using jars instead of buying plastics- wrapped.

Currently, we toss 10 plastic meat wrappers and 6 plastic frozen fruit/veggie bags per week (all recyclable, thankfully), plus one coconut cream container/box per 2 weeks.

I love our coconut oil jars -- they are great for re=use (very pretty). We are going over to Petone later today to check out Bin Inn and see if they have the nuts, dried fruit, and spices that we normally use.

I want to use more coconut oil, but have a hard time using more than we do. I want more more more coconut oil jars!

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I've never heard of the bokashi bin. If it's safe with our big raccoon problem, that would really help. Unfortunately, the grassfed beef that I can afford is all frozen. The stuff from the butcher is all ribeyes and new york steaks. What do they do with the rest of the cow?
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

oxide is offline Senior Member
    SB hikes, can you just cook the whole steak, and cut up the leftovers for lunches? I make four-five days of lunches and freeze them and open one each day. The beauty is that if something comes up and you can't eat the lunch, well it's frozen and it's food for a long time.

I was bad last week and had candy spice drops for lunch. But when I'm being good, the natural food store sells coconut macaroons. And they have this sort of rice-stick wrapped in nori seaweed which is pretty good is not fully primal.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

Apparently, it might get packaged. You could call and pre-order with your butcher, ask them to have it in stock, and you'll bring your own packaging (it might work?).

The bokashi bin can be kept (and usually is kept) indoors. You could also keep it in a garage or similar while it ferments. They are basically 5 gallon buckets that you keep the lid shut tight. Raccoons are tough, but if you keep it indoors, they are unlikely to get to it.

Gadsie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    I had family staying with me for a week where we did lots of driving. I bought a few boxes of granola bars, crackers, and fruit bars for the in the car. The family is not primal and I figured it was still better then getting fast food.

For myself, about 3 months ago I had a terrible day. I went out and bought a package of oreo cookies. I ate about 15 cookies in one sitting. I threw up about about an hour later
    If that's a terrible day for you then I'm already in hell

ASmallOne is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Does canned tuna count? Or canned salmon? Because we buy lots of that...

Oh and mustard. We get the good kind-- Boars' head-- ingredients are like mustard seeds, vinegar, horseradish-- but it is packaged.
    Check out my new webpage: The Carnivore Runner
    Friend me on "The Facebook"
    Follow me on Twitter!

For customized training / nutritional plans for runners from a former athlete who has personal experience in dealing with severe food allergies, please email me at foxATtinybikeDOTnet. I am ISA certified as a personal trainer and have coached many runners at the recreational or young-competitor level to towards their goals! Most of all, I'd love to help you with yours.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast