Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Struggling Fitness Professional page

primalmontana is offline Senior Member

Unhappy Struggling Fitness Professional

Primal Fuel
    To be honest, I am embarrassed to call myself a fitness/health professional. I struggle everyday with my weight, body image, self-worth, and energy. Most days, I would love to crawl in my bed and stay there all day; If it were not for my 3-year-old and teaching fitness classes, I probably would. I am an over-eater and have binging episodes at least 1x/week that inhibit my goals tremendously. I am 5'5" probably 140lbs. (I haven't weighed myself in awhile,) and would be much heavier if it weren't for my job. This is the heaviest I have been in years, my clothes are beginning to get tight. I have all the tools, I am highly educated in the field of heath and nutrition, and yet cannot help myself. I feel depressed, most of the time that is directly related to my food choices. I must say, I eat very healthy most of the time. The basis of my diet is veggies, protein and fat...most of the time. My problem, when I allow myself a small "cheat," I can't stop.

I discovered I had an intolerance to gluten about a year ago when I was training for a half-marathon. I often had gastrointestinal distress after running, even if it was just 3 miles. In an effort to lose a few pounds, I ditched grains. I then realized my stomach distress had almost completely dissipated. I have been more-or-less gluten free since. Although, I still indulge too often.

Until recently, I did not restrain the "non-gluten" foods. I still consumed carbs in the form of brown rice, oats, rice products (crackers, cakes, cereal) and non-gluten baked goods and cereals. I thought I was eating healthier than I was when I was eating wheat, but soon discovered this was not the case.

I stumbled upon Marksdailyapple while researching low-carbohydrate diets and athletics. The wealth of information I gained in this website as well as numerous books I have poured myself into have convinced my that cutting out most grains, and carbs for that matter makes sense.

I have adopted most of the primal-living strategies...lifting heavy, intense interval-based cardio, occasional long-slow cardio, cutting out most grains, increasing fats (and saturated fats which I previously avoided), cutting out most sugars.

I have not been able to give up my Greek yogurt, cheese (which I probably eat too much of because its low-carb,) lunch meat (because its so convenient), and the occasional latte'. Where I live, It is not legal to produce and sell raw milk products, so this is not an option for me.

Here is my diet almost daily:
    B: Frittata: 2 eggs, 1 egg white, 1 c. mixed veggies (broccoli, brussels sprouts, tomato, spinach), 1 oz. goat cheese

L: Large salad with 4-6 oz. protein (usually chicken, steak, or turkey (bought as a l cooked "breast") and coconut/olive/sesame oil and vinaigrette dressing

S: 1/4 c. nuts or slice of cheese and lunch meat

D: 6 oz. steak, hamburger (no bun or condiments), chicken breast, or ground turkey, 1-2 c. steamed or roasted veggies, 5 oz. wine (cant give it up!)

Late afternoon or after dinner is when I usually run into crazy cravings for SOMETHING crunchy/salty/sweet. The other day, I finished my daughters PB&J (which I miss tremendously) and I could not stop eating the rest of the day! Ice cream, cereal, a patty-melt and Fries (SICK!) and more Ice cream. Naturally, I felt like complete shit and laid on the couch the rest of the day, my poor daughter!

I have started and restarted a 21-day challenge for 3 weeks in a row. How do I stop this cycle of eating incredibly health...and then throwing it out the window b/c of 1/4 of a PB&J!?

Pamsc is offline Senior Member
    One possibility is to make yourself primal treats (like chocolate mousse) so good that what is around doesn't look good. I find something really rich so satisfying that I have no impulse to keep eating. Don't go hungry to lose weight until you have worked through the binges. Another possibility is to have a creature who expects those leftovers. If you don't have a dog, squirrels love peanut butter sandwiches and may even start coming to a window or porch at a regular time to get one.

I defiantly tend to have an "all or nothing" mentality, whether it's eating healthy or not. I need to try to switch my mentality to allow for some primal treats. I don't allow myself to go hungry, I know that is a huge trigger for me to overeat. Right now, I think it's about balance until I can work through these issues.

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member
    As soon as you're done eating what you're supposed to eat, brush your teeth. Most food tastes gross right after you brush, and it's just not worth the bother to eat a mouthful and then have to brush your teeth again.

Hedonist2 is offline Senior Member
    Welcome!

More fat. I sounds like you are still avoiding fat. What do you cook breakfast in? Lots of butter, coconut oil or evoo? Why an egg white? Why not three eggs?

Focus on red meat for dinner. When you have chicken or turkey, have darker meat and the skin mostly rather than breast.

You may need to go easier on the yogurt and cheese but if you feel deprived, you are likely to binge.

No need to give up the wine. Nuuuuu!

If you binge, do less harmful foods. Baked potato with lots of sour cream or butter. That's real comfort food.

Do you do dark chocolate? Another comfort food if it doesn't lead to binges.

Good luck!
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

Although I have been accustomed to keeping a food journal, never have I shared it with anyone. I always hated writing down my cheats and slip-ups but I knew no one would see it but me. I decided to start journaling here, for everyone to see, with the hopes it will keep me on track.

My goals:
    Weight: Below 130 (current: around 140)
    Rid myself of the negative thoughts
    Cutting out the cravings for SAD food

21 days straight of (mostly) primal eating. I say mostly because I know I will have some wine, chocolate, yogurt, and peanut butter.

Day 1:
    B: 3 eggs, 1 c. cabbage, 1/2 yellow zucchini scrambled in coconut oil
    S: I was not hungry so I had pistachios and coffee with heavy whipping cream as a snack around 3
    S: Got hungry again at 5 so I had 3 oz. hamburger
    D: 4 oz. grilled steak, 1 small yellow zucchini, 1/2 c. snow peas, 1 tbsp. butter

Workout:
    5:30 am weight class with lots of jumps (burpees, calf-jumps, jacobs ladder!)
    10:00 Zumba (I ate way to soon before class and too much fat I think b/c I was SICK)
    12:00 2 hours of golf- pushing my clubs

The first few days of this way of eating is never hard for me. As the weekend approaches, I always lose my willpower. I am determined not to let it happen again...

I felt really good today, very satisfied with my food choices and loads of energy.

jakey is offline Senior Member
    hi to critique your diet a bit... eat meals, not snacks. i can't stress what a strong tool this is for weight loss!

also, you write "i was not hungry" and then say you had pistachios and heavy cream. do not eat pistachios and heavy cream if you are not hungry. that's a key point.

you then "got hungry again" and had exactly 3oz of hamburger. eat a meal. your dinner is tiny too.

in short: meals not snacks.

Critiquing always welcome!

I ment to say "I wasn't hungry at lunch" I had to grab something quick on my way to work when i did get hungry- hence the nuts. And I always have an afternoon coffee. I switched from half and half to the heavy cream- good choice?

I usually do eat full meals, which is far from what i am used to doing. In the fitness profession, "mini meals" rule the dietary advice.

I realize my dinner was realitively small but I ate at 8 (late for me) and struggle to find something else to add with out the carbs.
    Any suggestions there?

jakey is offline Senior Member
    my basic suggestions are:

1) eat three square meals each day. skipping meals (what the kids now seem to call intermittent fasting) should not be something you introduce early on.

2) don't fear carbs. stick to starchy plant organs (sweet potatoes, plantains, potatoes, some fruit). the notion of fat burning metabolisms and sugar burning metabolisms is complete bullshit. you'll metabolize whatever you feed your body. feed it mostly fat, you'll run on mostly fat. feed it mostly carbs, you'll run on mostly carbs. your body burns both fuels readily during the course of a day.

3) ketosis is not some sort of magical place. if you like being in ketosis and never feel hungry, by all means, stay in ketosis. but it will not speed up weight loss beyond what a sensible diet will do.

4) exercise is great, and very important, but not because of the calories it burns in and of itself.

random thoughts by jakey...

After a few days of eating not so great (not to mention drinking too much beer) my body finally feels good. It really is amazing that only one day of eating real food can make me feel so much better.

My day today went a lil something like this:
    5:30 am Spin class (which I teach so it always ROCKS )
    7:00 am 1/2 grapefruit, 3 eggs scramble with coconut oil, summer squash, napa cabbage
    11:30 am Greek salad: baby tomatoes, chicken, olive oil, kalamata olives, cucumbers, feta (not exactly primal, I know, but I
    love Greek-style food!)
    4:00 pm Obviously I did not have enough at lunch b/c I am HUNGRY! Pistachios, Elk jerky
    6:30 pm Asian stir-fry w/ chicken, snow peas, fresh water chestnuts, and onion on steamed Napa cabbage. I need to add
    some fat to this. I suppose peanuts are out of the question? Maybe almonds or coconut flakes
    7:00 pm 9 holes of golf...PLAY TIME w/ the hubby and lil' miss 3-year-old!

Feel great about my day...but im hungry...DINNER TIME!
    Last edited by primalmontana; 04-24-2012 at 08:41 PM. Reason: I had a spoonful (ok, maybe a smidge more;))of almond butter after golfing.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast