Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Can you spot the vegetarian? I did...... page

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Primal Fuel

It was a workday at my "church." A particular guy I always thought of looking sick showed up. Dave is skinny, has a sallow look, there is no joy in his eyes, very low energy, all of the time. (His wife, OTOH, is vibrant, although of poor health, so ????)

I thought to myself, "I'll bet he's a vegetarian or vegan." Sure enough, at lunch time out comes the pasta and broccoli "salad", a fruit cup and then some kind of rice krispie bar. Yum....NOT.

Then two women started talking about veganism, how the Hole Foods CEO is doing such a great job, and oh, did you know that X and family are now vegan? Which might explain THAT husband being a physical and emotional duplicate of the first guy. He's afraid of his own shadow....and his kids!

I asked if they've heard of The Vegetarian Myth... oh yeah, I'm eating my tangy BBQ'd chicken leg....of course not. I summed it up in a sentence or two and they just ignored me.

I thought about poking them in the eye again, so to speak, but decided to not frustrate myself.

avocado is offline Senior Member

But of course you have no idea how many healthy people looking you see are vegetarian or vegan, so you have absolutely no idea of the validity.

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member

Hmmmm avocado, I know a lot of vegans who claim to be "healthy" but are skinny fat, low energy, with dull skin and hair. But damn they're self rightious!

The more I see the less I know for sure.
    -John Lennon

PrimalMike is offline Junior Member

probably better you didn't poke them in the eye.

It would have fallen out due to lack of strong cell membranes deprived of fat.

semper ad meliora

earthmomma, that's the opposite of my point. Who knows, maybe everyone who looks sickly is vegan. Um, yeah sure. But that still doesn't mean that everyone who is vegan looks sickly. There's a lot of damn self-righteousness around here too :-) It's an equal opportunity vice :-)

iniQuity is offline Senior Member

My girlfriend's brother is a vegetarian since 13, he's 27 and is in pretty good shape. He doesn't supplement (that I can tell) but does eat tofu and crap like that for protein. I know he doesn't know how to cook much besides pastas and veggie stir frys. The point though when it comes to him he's in good shape and he eats whatever crap he wants. He does however work out every now and then.

I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

avacado, you are reading more into my observation than what I said. Most of us here know that there are a lot of healthy veggies, especially ovo-lacto's and fish eaters.

But the flip side is that probably that most of the people as I described and others did are strict vegetarian or vegan. In fact, I'd say those characteristics aren't even found on a SAD diet.

I guess I just figured you wouldn't post the observation if you didn't think it had wider meaning than one individual. Otherwise what's the point?

Allbeef Patty is offline Senior Member

We all generalize a bit, but I'd say that the majority of vegans look unhealthy. Vegetarians may be a different story, but I'd say the unhealthy to healthy ratio is probably about the same as SAD.

The Big L is offline Senior Member

Not to derail the thread too much...but I know a couple vegetarians who are a bit overweight, but otherwise healthy looking with good coloring.

I myself am close to a 100% PB diet, I'm skinny (6'1", 153 lbs), and you might even say I have a somewhat sallow appearance. My skin pigment has a yellowish hue to it, which is actually pretty common -- especially among those of Asian descent. I also have darkish circles under my eyes which I seem to have inherited from my mother's side of the family. At least I'm not scared of shadows, and I have plenty of energy. I'm not sure whether you can see joy in my eyes.

I agree with avocado that self-righteousness is a two-way street. I see just as much of it on these forums as anywhere else.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast