Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Can you spot the vegetarian? I did...... page 2

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member

Primal Fuel

On another tangent, why aren't fish, fowl, and their eggs considered meat? Just arbitrary nonsense that's stuck with us, like putting eggs and dairy together?

"I'm an ovo-lacto vegetarian."

"I'm a vegetarian. Fish, please."

Yousa meat eater in my book.

But then most critics tend to pan my book.

You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

DarthFriendly is offline Banned

Yeeeeaaah, instead of viewing vegans as "the opposition", maybe viewing them as potential converts, and fellow dietary heretics?

I was vegan for years, and got crap on a regular basis from a large number of people I met. After a while you develop a thick skin, and ignore anyone telling you differently when it comes to diet. Which of course is too bad because I did my metabolism alot of damage in that time.

But I never took sh!t from "meaties". "Eye pokers" were likely to have their faces torn off and politely stuffed in their pockets (because you know, I didn't eat meat.) And yes this extended to administering a few beatings to them what wouldn't dummy up, and drop the subject. (Because, you know... I'm a fuggin' Sith Lord dammit.)

I think it makes alot more sense to look at the similarities in experience with other dietary non-conformists, even if they hold a directly opposite philosophical out look from ours. We (primal) want better health, many vegans are motivated by similar goals (although some are nihilistic self-flaggellating misanthropes who value the lives of mosquitos, and cockaroaches above their fellow humans.) We both face a common culture that is often hostile, and ignorant of their own ignorance when it comes not only to matters of health, but to their own rudeness when dealing with us.

My poor roommates- One is a life long slave to CW, my recent fat consumption is anathema, as was my protein seeking before it. The other one is a frail raw vegan hypochondriac. Poor guy. There's very little hope for him.

Still I try to exercise empathy for others, since social bonding, cooperation, and such was a major reason for Grok's success.

(And I'll punch any vegan who gets inbetween me, and my steak!)

DebFM is offline Senior Member

@PrimalChild, I've wondered that, too. One of my kids even asked me that yesterday. Her reasoning - fish move on their own, they're an animal we eat - why aren't they meat. I have to admit to having no answer for her. We all - kids and grown ups - had to agree it was a arbitrary designation.

Brewtality Guest

I would say veganism > average diet.

At least they get vitamins and minerals from the vegetables, big macs and frozen piza dont even do that.

I respect them for trying, besides, they leave more of the good stuff for me.

Athena is offline Senior Member

The only vegans that really get on my nerves are those who pry into my diet and start preaching to me about how meat is bad for you, animal rights, etc without even knowing me. I research where I get my meat and veggies to assure that they are from sustainable sources and that they are humane to the animals. I don't buy fish that are redlisted and that are from farms that are in a natural water source. While most vegans/veggie heads I know are not in great shape or anything (they smoke like chimneys and dont work out) I just leave them be, more meat for me!

DarthFriendly is offline Banned

Exactly, vegans are our friends who let us have all the good stuff ;D

More Meat For Me!! Athena should sell bumper stickers.

PrimalMike is offline Junior Member

I'm personally a fan of veganism...keeps the supply of Grass Fed Beef high!

semper ad meliora

BlazeKING is offline Senior Member

The worst are the ones that feed their dogs and cats vegetarian. I even saw "low fat" today in the dog food isle. Sick.

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member

The "vegetarians" I know who look crappy barely eat any vegetables. It would be more accurate to call them spaghettarians or wheatatarians.

On the other hand, I know some vegetarians who focus on eating fresh, real foods. Yes, that includes fruit, beans and whole grains. And guess what? They look great and seem to be really healthy!

Prowler Guest

It's possible to be vegan and eat nothing but breakfast cereals with soymilk, soy-based fake meats, and Oreos. Nobody is going to be very healthy on a diet like that.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast