Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Meat eating behind evolutionary success of humankind page

Ellement is offline Member

Meat eating behind evolutionary success of humankind

Shop Now

peril is offline Senior Member
    But do you want to breastfeed for 28 months?
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by peril View Post
    But do you want to breastfeed for 28 months?
    whats wrong with that?

peril is offline Senior Member
    Nothing for me, but my wife was very happy to stop after 6 months
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    thats such a short amount of time

lotusberries is online now Senior Member
    Wow, only 6 months? I know people who breastfed longer than 28 months.

Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    My brother was born before I stopped breastfeeding. Has anyone noticed that we have the same verb for both the one giving the milk and the one receiving it? I was receiving the milk in this comment, not giving it.
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

PrimalJes is offline Senior Member
    I'm still breastfeeding my 31 month old 2x per day. It's normal and it's what's best for him!

Analog6 is offline Senior Member
    Terranora, far north coast NSW, Australia
    I have a friend who breast fed both her boys until they started school - about 5. She didn't find it any hardship (she was at home, of course). As they got older, the frequency dropped right off, of course, and a nautral halt came when they started school and no one else was doing it - good old peer pressure, even at 5! Both are happy, well adjusted, intelligent boys who went on to university and terrific careers.

Of course, some women do find it impossible to breast feed for one reason or another. If this happened in hunter gatherer societies, other women would have probably fed the child, as there would always be some in the group with a child at the breast. Nowadays, this sort of cooperation is no longer possible, our society structure has changed too much (and in the wrong direction IMHO).
    Odille
    F 58 / 170cms / SW 131.5 kgs / Current 112.4/ GW 65
    following Primal Lifestyle and swimming my way to health

My Primal Blog / Photo Blog / RedBubble shop / My Calendars / My Facebook

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Analog6 View Post
    Of course, some women do find it impossible to breast feed for one reason or another. If this happened in hunter gatherer societies, other women would have probably fed the child, as there would always be some in the group with a child at the breast. ....
    I think wet-nursing must've been pretty common till fairly recently.

One often finds casual references to it in older books -- 18th or 19th century novels, for example. One example would be Dickens' Dombey and Son. Mr. Dombey's wife has died in childbed, but i don't think it was uncommon for wealthy women to get someone else to do the feeding -- although, presumably, they would have been producing the milk.

Mr Dombey had remained in his own apartment since the death of his wife, absorbed in visions of the youth, education, and destination of his baby son. Something lay at the bottom of his cool heart, colder and heavier than its ordinary load; but it was more a sense of the child's loss than his own, awakening within him an almost angry sorrow. That the life and progress on which he built such hopes, should be endangered in the outset by so mean a want; that Dombey and Son should be tottering for a nurse, was a sore humiliation. And yet in his pride and jealousy, he viewed with so much bitterness the thought of being dependent for the very first step towards the accomplishment of his soul's desire, on a hired serving-woman who would be to the child, for the time, all that even his alliance could have made his own wife, that in every new rejection of a candidate he felt a secret pleasure. The time had now come, however, when he could no longer be divided between these two sets of feelings. The less so, as there seemed to be no flaw in the title of Polly Toodle after his sister had set it forth, with many commendations on the indefatigable friendship of Miss Tox.

'These children look healthy,' said Mr Dombey. 'But my God, to think of their some day claiming a sort of relationship to Paul!'

'But what relationship is there!' Louisa began—
    Dombey and Son, by Charles Dickens

I guess Dombey -- who of course thinks he can buy everything -- could buy decent nutrition for Paul. He picks a woman who looks healthy and has healthy-looking children, and takes her into his house where she can eat whatever's thought best. He controls the economic situation, so he can get what he wants (at that simple transactional level).

I believe some children of wealthy parents were "put out" to wet nurses, and probably didn't get the nutrition (or indeed care) they needed. I guess their parents thought milk was just milk and didn't twig that the health and nutritional status of the mother mattered.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast