Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Low carb bread page

mitch54 is offline Junior Member

Low carb bread

Does anyone have any thoughts about the carb zero bread from Julian Bakery. Can this work with PB?

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Sorry had to edit after actually looking it up. "Sprouted grains, seeds, and beans".....so no, not primal. Better than your standard fare? Maybe, but still doesn't get the PB seal of approval IMO.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 04-20-2012 at 02:15 PM.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Skip fake food IMO.....thats where atkins went off the deep end. All the fake crap totally undermines what could actually be a fairly healthy diet.
    This...

Replacements are faux. It's entirely likely that the will just leave you wishing you had the real thing in your mouth. And they displace nutrient dense whole foods.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    ^Actually I'm glad you caught my original post...I stand by that also

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Yup - avoid frankenfoods.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

oxide is offline Senior Member
    Carb-zero bread is SAD. "Gluten-free" is SAD. Carb substitutes are SAD. Meat substitutes (Tofurkey et al) are also SAD. Even if you're not eating real grains, you're eating grains MENTALLY. You still think that it's temporary, and that once this primal silliness is over, you can go back to grains. Sorry.

This is the Primal website, not the aw-man-I-miss-SAD website.

You MUST realize that you will never have a "square" meal again. You have been trained since childhood that a meals is four piles of food (or three piles and a milk). Hell, even our DISHES are set up that way. Well guess what. Meals are now will be TWO piles of food: one meat, one veggie.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

Bonnie B is offline Junior Member
    Besides everything everyone said, it tastes pretty awful to me.

PrimalPotter is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oxide View Post
    This is the Primal website, not the aw-man-I-miss-SAD website.
    Yup. I missed toast for breakfast. MAN I liked some eggs over-easy with some buttered toast for breakfast. Eating eggs without toast just didn't seem like a complete breakfast.

So I stopped eating breakfast. For a while.

I hard-boiled my eggs. Took them with me to work. Ate them mid-morning for a "snack", because I was hungry at 10:00. It worked. Got me out of the toast-with-my-eggs mindset. I still have eggs for breakfast. With amazing bacon from Blue Valley Farms. Sometimes an omelette with some mushrooms, spinach, sausage. Maybe a little cheese.

Then there was the, "Gee. I'd really like a sandwich" phase. There's ways around that, too. I use leaves of lettuce, instead of bread. Messy, but tasty. You want something good? A cold, cooked chicken breast, split in half and filled with bacon, lettuce, tomato, avocado & chipotle mayonnaise. I be droolin'.

It's hard, sometimes. I get it . Most of us are used to eating a certain way. You miss the convenience of plopping some bread in the toaster, slathering that toasted bread with something & chowing down. There's no such thing as substitutions. There's food I eat. There's food I no longer eat because I know it's poison. But there's a whole world of amazing flavors to discover & enjoy. Would people agree with me on that? We ENJOY the foods we choose to eat? That's how i try to see it. I'm not missing anything. I'm enjoying the healthy food I am eating.

Catharsis is offline Senior Member
    What I've found is that the best thing I did was trade one convenience for another. Being on the road a lot, I used to consume a lot of low carb prepackaged foods. Now I consume a container of yogurt out of my cooler with a few small pieces of fruit or a handful of nuts. Cost-wise, it's about the same. Effort wise, it's about the same.

Convenience (which is really another word for lack of planning) was/is always something that will make me want to lean towards just grabbing some form of processed garbage on the go. The better I plan, the less of an issue it is. In my opinion, I think that for a lot of people it's less about bread and a "sandwich" and more about convenience. The longer you practice cooking things on the go and preplanning/preparing things, the more successful you'll be at avoiding pitfalls because you've created a new habit to replace the old habit which was a sandwich, or toast, or dinner rolls. I know people that have told me that they can't imagine giving up bread with dinner. The way I see it, find meals that don't compliment bread that well in the first place and it makes it easier to avoid. For example, a bunless "hamburger" probably isn't going to help someone bread-obsessed move away from it!

An example for me is that I've learned how to set my microwave to cook a piece of wild caught salmon from frozen to seasoned nearly perfect and get a salad built in about 5 minutes. If I take about 20 or 30 minutes once a week, I can have ingredients separated out, organized and ready to go for the remainder of the week. Perfect, consistent planning fosters results...in anything in life.
    Last edited by Catharsis; 04-21-2012 at 10:05 AM.

Jerrod Witt is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hello friends,

The low-carb diet involves eating more protein and fat in foods such as meat, cream and butter and cutting out bread, sugar and other foods high in carbohydrates.

Best regards
    Jerrod Witt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast