Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal- EmeraldRose page 11

EmeraldRose is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Sure, I'd love to try it! It's the time of year for soups
    Journal

Starting: 207lbs | Current: 176lbs | Mini-goal: 172lbs | Ultimate Goal: 130lbs

Spiralicious is offline Senior Member
    Ok, so:
    Render some bacon in the biggest pot you own, because you're gonna want to double batch this sucker: I used 4 slices I think, but only because that was all I had left
    Add about a cup of chopped onions, and a healthy dose of my famous seasoning (chili powder, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder and S+P) cook in bacon grease until soft.
    Add a roughly chopped up head of cauliflower along with 8 cups of chicken broth (or whatever)
    Cook uncovered until cauli is soft, let cool.

In the meantime, chop up whatever you want to use for the chunky bits (I used potatoes and carrots, but would use turnips instead of the potatoes next time) throw them in a pan with LOTS of EVOO or coconut oil or whatever, salt and add a few unskinned cloves of garlic, and roast until tender at 325. (I covered for the first 40 mins or so, then uncovered for 20)

Once the cauli broth is cooled, blend in batches until silky-smooth. Combine this with the roasted veg, a cup of heavy cream (I admit, I thickened the cream with some corn starch, but I hear arrowroot is good for this? I will have to get some), the roasted garlic, and slowly melt in some sharp cheddar once you've reheated it all.

Serve topped with the leftover bacon, some chives and a little sprinkle of cheddar. SO GOOD! And even better the next day, apparently There was only enough leftovers for one. It's a good one to do when you're in the house, but getting other things done, as it took a couple hours altogether, but most of that is waiting. Worth the time and effort, I assure you!

socoolnanny is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldRose View Post
    Before I forget they are in the freezer, I picked up some marrow bones at the grocery store. Any good suggestions on making a bone broth if I've never done it before?

There is a good recipe on Nom Nom paleo website.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Thanks! Printed one out and can't wait to start it tonight.
    Journal

Let me know how it turns out! I want to try this, but I need to get good bones, I don't want to bother with CAFO ones. Maybe the grass-fed, grain-finished ones would be ok for this, and I can at least get those in town. They are hormone/antibiotic free at least... How much do you need for a decent batch?

Here's the link to the recipe I found: Paleo Digest

1 - 2 beef knucle bones
    3 medium marrow bones
    2 soup bones (beef shank/osso bucco)
    1 head of garlic
    1 large tomato
    1 -2 ounces apple cider vinegar
    enough filtered water to fill a large pot
    sea salt to taste
    other herbs as desired

I think I need to get more bones. I only have the marrow ones...

I wish I could get good meat for my family. Unfortunately, with only one income and lots of expenses, I'm having to do the best I can for groceries. My mom helps us by sending Walmart gift cards so I can feed my family. This means of course that I have to buy my groceries there...I go to Sam's Club when I can to get meat, but I'm certain it isn't much better.

It's just so frustrating to try to keep doing the right thing for my family's nutrition, but to have to cut corners and give them less than optimal food. I've briefly debated going back to the food shelf to help with the cost, but having used that most of last year, I know that it's all carb heavy, processed junk.

As for making the bone broth, I think I need to get some more bones. I think I have 4 marrow bones. Or maybe I'll just try it with what I have. I'll have to be honest with myself, I won't have time to start it until this weekend...
    Journal

That's frustrating, isn't it.. but at least you are doing the best you can with what you have, and you know that's about a million times better than most families!

That being said, while you might not be able to afford super high quality meats, have you tried sourcing bones from a good place? Maybe it's different where you are, but just bones are dirt cheap around here.. at least your bone broth could be extra nutritious.
    I think I will try to find some for this weekend too, and we can compare notes on Monday

I will be honest, I haven't done a lot of buying bones. In fact this was the first time I got any. I'll need to look around and see what's out there. Also, the bones are still in the freezer...

On the plus side, I made meatloaf with Bacon on top. Lunch yesterday and today. Very much awesome!!!!
    Journal

Meatloaf for the win! I made those baconey brussel sprouts again, but I oven roasted them... they are way better that way

PrimalCon New York
    Fasting today. Partially because I didn't cook last night, and have no leftovers, partially because I have no $ to buy a lunch.

Dinner will be awesome though: spaghetti squash with ground beef in mushroom cream sauce.
    Journal

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast