Thread: Question: Limited to buying from Safeway and Save On page

primely Guest

Primal Fuel

Hi-

Quick question when it comes to quality of food. Obviously quality of food matters! If I am limited to buying from stores such as Safeway and Save On (no, really, I am), is it worth trying to eat primally? Or will I ingest so much weird, unhealthy, artificial things from generic brand products that it isn't worth it...?

For people who do shop at Safeway and Save On, can you recommend any brands when it comes to bacon, meats, butter, cheese (because the things I see at the store definitely look like the picture from http://www.marksdailyapple.com/a-word-on-cheese-food/), almond butter, etc.?

Thanks a ton!

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member

Yes. Eating non-organic meat, eggs and veggies is much better for you than eating organic cereals, crackers and other packaged junk sold as health food.

dsantana is offline Senior Member

The best advice I can give on the matter of non-organics is to become a label reader. Try to avoid those things with corn or soy products. You'd be surprised how many things have high fructose corn syrup. As a general rule, if I can't pronounce the ingredient list, I don't buy it.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member

Exactly. Label reading is much more useful than brand hunting.

You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

shepherd is offline Junior Member

A good example of label reading helpfulness, back before I was primal, I still wanted to avoid as much high fructose corn syrup as I could. I was hard pressed to find spaghetti sauce without that stuff in it! Finally, I looked at the canned generic stuff. It's ingredients? Tomatoes, tomato paste, garlic.

In your face, Space Coyote!

Minxxa is offline Senior Member

I definitely agree that staying away from things that come in packages is the first step, then label reading the things you do need is the second.

How about shopping online? Not for everything by any means, but if you did your basics and veggies at your local store, and supplemented the meats you buy with some organic/grass fed stuff ordered online?

You didn't really say why you're limited to those two stores, so thought I'd throw that out there.

"Boy I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals" - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Iceskater is offline Junior Member

Its more about choosing the best options from what you have as choices.

For Safeway, steer clear of the middle isles, as most the of the natural, whole foods are along the outer perimeter isles. Safeway also has organic eggs. Save-On has organic bulk products, like nuts and sometimes, a reasonable 'health food' section with organic butter and cream. You could also try the roasted chicken at both, but read the ingredients.

grandma is offline Member

I agree with what others have said, just read labels and stick to the produce and meat sections. HOWEVER, are you sure those stores are your only options? My parents live in a location with very limited choice for markets, but they live in a middle of dairy country where there are lots of farms and farmer's markets. They have access to lots of great stuff if you look beyond the store fronts. Is there a hidden co-op or farm stand that you might be able to get some local food from?

It's grandma, but you can call me sir.

primely Guest

hopefully it shouldn't be a long-term thing. the organic market i normally go to is down for construction and renovation. i stocked up as much as possible before they closed, but the pantry is bare and i am hungry!

i'm armed with your advice (labels, labels, labels) and my shopping list, time to go "gather"...

thanks again!

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

In label reading, don't forget that they are listed in order of predominance by weight.

I bought some Bolthouse brand salad dressings awhile back that did not use the ubiquitous soy oil at all, but almost at the end was canola. It was just above salt and a couple of spices, so it probably wasn't more than a spoonful in the bottle.

Damn, that blue cheese dressing is GOOD! And reduced calorie, no less. No HFCS, either.