Thread: How to cook salt (corned) beef? page

breadsauce is offline Senior Member

How to cook salt (corned) beef?

Hi. I've just been GIVEN a small joint of salt (corned) beef by my local organic butcher - he has just started making it and wanted to know what I thought of it. Now, I've never cooked this before and wondered how to approach it? Do I soak it first to get rid of excess salt? Cook in oven in a casserole, or on top of the stove in a regular saucepan? With carrots, onions etc for flavour?Bayleaf?

Any advice really appreciated!

redrose is offline Junior Member
    Hi There!!

This is the way I cook it!

2 small onions
    4 carrots
    1 turnip
    6 peppercorns
    4 cloves
    2 tablespoons vinegar
    1 tablespoon raw honey (optional)

Place meat in a saucepan large enough to take enough water to cover meat (or almost covering it). Bring to boil gradually. Cut vegetables into suitable sizes and add. Keep water to a gentle simmer and allow 1 hour for every 1kg of meat cooking time.
    * if you think meat is extra salty, you could wash meat before cooking.
    Good Luck!

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    It is even better cooked in the slow cooker for 8 hours rather than in a pot on the stove.

The above recipe is perfect, although I wouldn't add the honey, but would put a Bay Leaf in.

If you want to have corned beef for breakfast, just pop it in the slow cooker the night before, and voila! A hot Breakfast.

Bron is offline Senior Member
    I've never been a fan of corned beef, so when I do it (haven't for ages now), I'd include a can of tomatoes, which may not be good for you. Also veges.

Thanks for the ideas! I shall soak it today (I've just taken it out of the freezer) and I'll cook it in the slow cooker tomorrow - veg as in Redroses recipe, no honey, and see how it comes out. I'm getting some bay leaves today so I'll add those.

DeilaMiah is offline Senior Member
    I AM MAKING THIS RIGHT NOW!!!!!

Personally, I take a corned beef and put it in the crock pot (slow cooker), add a bay leaf and half can of beer (for cooking liquid) on low for the day (8-10 hours). Depending on how YOU like cabbage (IF you like cabbage) you can either chop it up and add it in with the beef or, if you like it with a crunchier texture, put in chopped cabbage approximately 1-2 hours before the beef is finished.

I also will add in a roughly chopped onion and baby carrots. I think a turnip would give you a *potatoes* mouth feel to the end product but I've never used turnips in my CB&C.

PS. This IS the staple St. Patty's Day meal in my house. But, then again, I am half Irish.

Quote Originally Posted by redrose View Post
    Hi There!!

This is the way I cook it!

2 small onions
    4 carrots
    1 turnip
    6 peppercorns
    4 cloves
    2 tablespoons vinegar
    1 tablespoon raw honey (optional)

Place meat in a saucepan large enough to take enough water to cover meat (or almost covering it). Bring to boil gradually. Cut vegetables into suitable sizes and add. Keep water to a gentle simmer and allow 1 hour for every 1kg of meat cooking time.
    * if you think meat is extra salty, you could wash meat before cooking.
    Good Luck!
    If you do not stand behind your military, feel free to stand in front of them!

EMAIL ME!

Well, the salt beef came out very tender. I cooked it with onions, carrots, swede (rutabaga), bay leaves, a few juniper berries and dry cider as the liquid. I did like it, but I think I prefer unsalted beef better. Perhaps just what I'm used to??!!

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Yeah, it must be a preference thing.

One thing I noticed about going primal, previously I never put salt in anything (although there was always lots of it in processed food like gravy mix). Now I sprinkly salt over pretty much all of the food that I fry. So maybe I just have more of a 'salt tooth' than you.