Thread: Most cost effective? page

teach2183 is offline Senior Member

Most cost effective?

Primal Fuel
    I'm going to look at the grass-fed meat while at the store today. We generally can NOT afford to buy it and don't see that changing any time soon (already spend >10% of our budget on food). So my is, in terms of nutrition, which type of meat will get me the biggest "bang for my buck" so to speak? I realize this may be regional, we're North of Chicago.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by teach2183 View Post
    I'm going to look at the grass-fed meat while at the store today. We generally can NOT afford to buy it and don't see that changing any time soon (already spend >10% of our budget on food). So my is, in terms of nutrition, which type of meat will get me the biggest "bang for my buck" so to speak? I realize this may be regional, we're North of Chicago.
    See if you can find grass-fed organ meats at a local farm or butcher.

Otherwise, eat the conventional meats, but buy the leanest cuts you can get, and supplement with lots of coconut oil or grass-fed butter. The stuff you don't want is stored mainly in the fat, so you can minimize your toxin intake this way without breaking the bank.

Canned sardines and other small, oily fish can be pretty cheap, especially when they go on sale.

Marion C Thao is offline Junior Member
    Hello RichMahogany.. i am agree with your words... i think it will be best option for (teach2183)

AngloPaleo is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Canned wild fish:
    Salmon, sardines, mackerel in brine. Canned fish is most often wild rather than farmed, cheap, and you can stock up when it goes on sale because it keeps for ever. Takes care of your fish oil needs if you have it often.

Grass-fed organ meat and ground meat:
    They seem to be the cheapest cuts, probably cheaper from a local butcher's. The organs have the most nutritional benefits and you should be able to eat them once a week without breaking the bank.

Free-range chicken:
    Not as awesome nutritionally as grass-fed red meat but way cheaper and has its place in a primal diet. Convenient - cook a whole bird and use the bones if you make bone broth/soups.

The best quality eggs you can find:
    filling, easy to cook and still way cheaper then meat. Buy in bulk.

The above are my staples. Then I eat nicer things on occasion depending on what I can afford: pastured lamb steak, sirloin or fresh wild fish.