Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Another vegan checking out at 62 page 2

apple is offline Senior Member
    Veganism nearly killed me, and I was only 23 when that happened. Didn't even need the drug abuse to help it along. I fully believe that meat provides essentials that protect us from shitty environmental antagonists that would otherwise do us in completely. Like soy and wheat, and pesticides and other pollutants.

He died of colon cancer, right? I wish people would stop the misinformation of fiber and low fat diets being good for digestive health already.
    Type 1 Diabetic. Controlling blood sugar through primal life.

2012 Goals:
    Maintain A1c of 6.0 or lower
    More dietary fat, less carbs, moderate protein
    LHT and sprint as per PB fitness
    Play more!

billp is offline Senior Member
    Feel free to refuse, because of course such things are private. But I would be interested to learn how veganism nearly killed you, if only to use it as a counter argument in real life and on web forums. Real examples are always so much more instructive.

Moochy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billp View Post
    Keith Richards is only 68. So long as he is eating a reasonably meaty and fatty diet he could live for another 20 years. He's not a mad drug fiend any more and his only real vice seems to be smoking cigarettes, which if he keeps it up is only a 7 year lifespan reduction statistically, and has no effect on lifespan a similar length of time after people give up. Meat eating works!
    I am not thinking this guy is living for another 20 years!

richards.jpg
    Primal/Paleo is not for everyone, it's for those who have committed to understand.
    READ THE BOOK! ...as Robb Wolf says: "Trying to convince people to save their own ass will burn you out."

Vegetarians are the enemy of everything good and decent in the human spirit, and an affront to all I stand for -- the pure enjoyment of food. Anthony Bourdain

and yes, calories DO count my little piggies

mrquick42 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Moochy View Post
    I am not thinking this guy is living for another 20 years!

richards.jpg
    Yeah, but that is what he's looked like for the past 20 years... so no bet from me.

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrquick42 View Post
    Yeah, but that is what he's looked like for the past 20 years... so no bet from me.
    Looks to me like he's been mummified. He'll last at least a few thousand more years as long as nobody unwraps him.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    I'm pretty sure everyone would have said the same thing 20 years ago, so not sure how useful your prediction is.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Quote Originally Posted by billp View Post
    Feel free to refuse, because of course such things are private. But I would be interested to learn how veganism nearly killed you, if only to use it as a counter argument in real life and on web forums. Real examples are always so much more instructive.
    No one in my family has any chronic disease, although my mom has mild hypertension, if you want an accurate telling of this. I'm the only one who has ever been vegan. I ate "healthy," but that included vegetable oils, grains, frankensoys, etc. I also did a lot of chronic cardio. I was actually marathon training, and halfway through the program, I couldn't run more than 2 miles without being completely wiped out. Many docs later, I found out I had crohn's. I couldn't believe it when they told me that it had nothing to do with my diet, and was simply a hereditary autoimmune disorder. That made NO sense. I continued to be vegan until my immune system killed my pancreas and I wound up at the e-clinic with blood sugar around 480. Type 1 diabetic on insulin for life now, starting at age 24, with no family history of either type of diabetes. Found out at the same time that my thyroid was next. Gave up being vegan and stopped eating grains and soy, and the thyroid antibodies are slowly decreasing to the point where I miiiiight be able to save my thyroid.

So the question is, how have I "inherited" these autoimmune diseases from no one? The only differing factor was my diet! I think if you look at the fact that a primal/paleo diet enhances positive gene expression, it makes sense to argue that a poor SAD vegan diet enhances negative gene expression. Those genes must be in my family somewhere, but they aren't proliferating in anyone else because they ate animal proteins. Those proteins MUST have some protective properties, even if it's something really simple like providing the building blocks for intestinal cell regeneration to prevent leaky gut and thus autoimmune disorders or something.

Of course, all this is speculative. But it really is the only explanation that makes any sense.

As far as Keith Richards is concerned...the sheer amount of disease in that man must prevent any one disease from actually doing harm...like Mr. Burns! The three stooges syndrome...

2012 Goals:
    Play more!

Would you mind if I quoted that in its entirely, instead of paraphrasing? (Apart form the Keith Richards bit.) It does make it less anonymous, as a bit of Googling would trace it back to here. I wouldn't provide a link or anything. No pressure - I would be totally ok with paraphrasing if you would rather.

Keith Richards is now tough enough to withstand anything. I am not even sure a direct nuclear strike would do more than singe him.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Sure, you can direct quote. I'm pretty sure I'm anonymous on here anyway.

2012 Goals:
    Play more!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12