Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: An Aussie girl goes Primal page

Ellement is offline Member

An Aussie girl goes Primal

Primal Fuel
    Actually that title should read an Aussie girl went Primal three months ago and is loving it!

Have started this journal as I'm day 3 into the Whole30 and while I'm not struggling, I think keeping this journal may help me stay focussed and on track. I would actually like to keep this journal going post-Whole30 so we’ll see how I go

So, a little background first. I have always been a healthy weight (according to BMR calculations) which I put down to genetics as much as anything else (thanks mum!). My diet has been mostly good (according to CW) over the years but not ideal. Embraced vegetarianism for about 6 years but my heart was never really in it. I have never eaten junk food regularly but do like rich foods and alcohol (though the latter not so much these days). Exercise has been one of those things that I enjoy and can make a habit, but if I lose my momentum then it goes right out the window…like it has the past 6 months.

About 8 years ago I walked out of an abusive long-term relationship. I don’t think I’d realised just how miserable I was until I was free of it/him. With that new found freedom came some serious “letting my hair down” for about 4 months…too much partying, too many late-night post-pub carb binges, no exercise, not enough sleep…it was bloody fantastic! Except for the 8 kg I put on …I was still within the healthy weight range for my height but I felt like utter crap. My clothes didn’t fit anymore and my stomach was so bloated I looked like I was 6 months pregnant! Just awful.

So began my quest to shed those kilos and get back to my pre-breakup weight of 65 kg. First tried Weight Watchers. Shed a couple of kg but couldn’t stick with it. I then thought I’d try my hand at calorie counting. Using an online calorie tracker I managed to lose 5 kg pretty easily but just couldn’t get any lower than 68 kg. I found restricting myself to 1200 cals a day and working my butt off at the gym just so I could eat more was leaving me tired and frustrated as I wasn’t getting the results I felt I deserved. Also as soon as I started eating more than 1200 cals my weight would start going up again. Was driving me nuts!

Then late last year I noticed in the forums on a CW weight-loss website that I visit, a number of interesting threads on high-fat, low-carb diets and Primal/Paleo ways of eating. I remember years ago my mum being put on a Paleo diet for 6 weeks to try and pinpoint the dietary issues she was having. It was a extremely restrictive diet and mum lost a lot of weight (which she could ill afford) but it did show she had both gluten and dairy intolerances. Anyway I thought that way of eating sounded awful and never gave it much thought again. So fast forward to last year and there’s this thread and someone mentions The Primal Blueprint and its basic premise, and out of curiosity I buy it…and well here I am!

I’ve been eating probably 90% Primal since mid-January but will admit to a few slip-ups here and there (Easter I’m looking at you!). I haven’t lost any weight yet (still hovering around 70 kg) but I haven’t gained any either. I have more energy and generally just feel better all round eating this way. I have started IF-ing just this week (trying 16/8 at the moment to see how I go) and am amazed at how easy it has been. As someone who has always lectured others about “how breakfast is the most important meal of the day” …I can’t believe how energetic and clear-headed I am in the mornings. I typically have my dinner at ~8pm and don’t eat again until 12pm or later the next day. Sure makes getting ready in the mornings a lot faster! I’m slowly trying to incorporate some daily exercise as I think being sedentary might be part of the reason why I haven’t seen any weight loss since I went Primal.

As I mentioned at the start of this rather long-winded ramble, I started the Whole30 program on the 18th April and am planning on seeing it through until the 18th May, which coincidentally is the day my parents arrive in town for a 10 day visit

OK, so here we go. I weighed in at 70.6 kg on the 18th April and would love to see a couple of kg come off over the next month. I am NOT going to weigh (or measure) myself til the morning of the 19th May. I will eat nothing but good clean unprocessed food over the next 30 (well 28 now) days and will include a minimum of 30 mins exercise a day.

Today’s menu (so far)

Lunch: corned pork, cauliflower rice, carrots, zucchini and a good drizzle of (mum and dad’s) olive oil (awesome having parents who grow their own olives and produce their own olive oil!), plus an apple

Dinner: scotch fillet steak and (undecided) vegies…might have a fried egg too, if still hungry might finish off with some strawberries and coconut cream

Exercise: 30 min walk at lunchtime

For_Sparta is offline Junior Member
    Nice one Ellement, keep it up and the weight will come down over time!

Having said that it doesn't sound like you've got that much to lose anyway, so don't stress too much about the scale and remember to enjoy the other benefits of being Primal

Thanks For_Sparta

After re-reading my post I realise it sounds like my Primal journey is only about weight loss, which is not the case at all. Ultimately I'm trying to find a sustainable and healthy way of eating and exercising that hopefully will have me living to a ripe-old age with both body and faculties intact...though if I lose 5 kg in the process you won't see me arguing lol

The Whole30 thing is mostly to try to wean myself off sugar, and dairy to some extent too. I've been finding way too many excuses the past three months to eat a whole 250g container of baby bocconcini or pure cream in one hit...and I wonder why I haven't lost any weight

his_chick is offline Senior Member
    Welcome from another Aussie girl! You and I sound very similar! In this primal lifestyle for the long term health benefits and to be the best me I can be. Best wishes for the next 28 days!
    Went Primal on 1st April 2012

Since beginning Primal:
    - The stomach cramps I'd been having have vanished.
    - People comment that my skin is glowing.
    - I enjoy getting out of bed (most of the time)
    - I'm so excited by food.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread52255.html

sarahz is offline Senior Member
    Welcome, another Aussie here

kahiba is offline Senior Member
    Welcome from a Queenslander. The website you mention may be one I posted on when first starting to eat Primal/Paleo.
    Original Goal: To lose weight. Achieved in March 2010
    Long Term Goals: To continue using Primal guidlines to improve fitness and health. To share the Primal message.

The key to successful aging is to pay as little attention to it as possible - Judith Regan

Hello my fellow Aussies, thanks for the welcome! It's great to meet you all ...and I'm in Alice Springs for those who are interested. Truly the middle of nowhere!

And yes kahiba, it is one and the same website. You're actually one among a number of people on that site, along with ljq309, Nads and 2Shea who got me interested in Primal living. So thank you! I really can't tell you what a revelation it has been for me

DAY 4

Only 6:50am Saturday morning here so probably a bit early to be posting about what I may or may not eat today. Am planning on going for a walk as soon as I'm done here so there will be my exercise for the day ...absolutely glorious day already, how could you not want to get out and breathe in some of that fresh, cool desert air?

Ended up snacking way too much when I got home from work yesterday. A big handful of pistachios, a banana and some leftover cold steak from the day before. Not bad food but I really need to get past this snacking mentality. Think I need to have much bigger and satisfying lunches, especially given they're my first meal of the day. Dinner ended up being a huge steak, a fried egg and sweet potato fries baked in the oven, delicious! Was very tired last night, in fact felt quite exhausted...am putting it down to work stress. Anyway was in bed by 9:30pm and had a great sleep. Was wide awake at 5 am though

OK, off on my walk now. Then meeting up with a friend for breakfast...no IF-ing today
    Last edited by Ellement; 04-20-2012 at 03:37 PM.

peril is offline Senior Member
    Think about not IFing until you've got the no snacking bit working. Go for three solid meals a day. You need a stable platform for IFing
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Thanks for the advice peril, it's appreciated

The issue I've had since going Primal is that I'm just not that hungry in the mornings anymore...which is a first for me that's for sure! The first couple of months of Primal eating I was having breakfast regardless of whether I was hungry or not but now it just seems easier to skip breakfast altogther. As I mentioned in my OP I'm amazed at how little it affects me, in fact I think it makes me sharper and more alert. The snacking really is just a habit from my CW days...I knew even as I was doing it yesterday that I wasn't really hungry. As I said, I think I need a much more satisfying lunch and maybe I won't be so inclined to hit the fridge the moment I walk through the front door.

Anyway we shall see. Am still trying to get the hang of all this

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast