Thread: Fat/Protein/Carb Mix during the initial weight loss period page

Semabe is offline Junior Member

Fat/Protein/Carb Mix during the initial weight loss period

I'm sure this question has been asked a thousand times by many people new to the PB lifestyle. I'm at the end of my first two weeks and have been averaging a mix of about 60% fat, 30% protein and 10% carbs (all Primal foods, no grains, starch, etc.) I am averaging about 1800 calories a day and when I started I was about 230lbs and 5'10" at the age of 39. I am not checking the scale regularly but have obviously lost quite a bit of weight (probably water) and picked up additional muscle. I am also exercising per the guidelines and then some. I am doing the baseline in Primal Blueprint fitness plus swimming and a couple of longer hikes a week, probably 6-9 hours total.

So, my question would be, am I too high on the fat levels for someone looking to lose a large amount of fat over a 6 month period because of health issues? I feel great, tons of energy, look better, etc...and my sleep apnea and blood pressure seem to be starting to normalize.....still the fat level bothers me. I'm not planning the numbers, they actually just work out that way (per my fit day runs.)

I'm not going to track the numbers forever, just until I sort of figure out the lifestyle changes.

jakey is offline Senior Member
    no, the macros don't matter for fat loss, particularly when you're starting out. the 1800 calories per day are what matter. assuming you're a guy, at 5'10 and your weight, that's a pretty huge deficit. you'll lose weight. in fact, i would recommend increasing calories on certain days to keep the metabolism guessing a bit, so to speak. a caloric deficit is not measured in hours, or even by the day.

that macro split will almost certainly put you into ketosis. you don't have to do that, but if it keeps you feeling full and you're feeling good, it's totally fine. the fat in and of itself is not a problem, and will not prevent you from losing fat. if you want to eat more healthy carbs, you can do that too, and back off the fat a bit. it's just a question of what keeps you feeling well-fed, and energetic.

Good point on the calories. That's my average....I have bumped it on a couple of days and use IF on Fridays (5 hour window, no food until mid Saturday.) At some point I'm going to have to up the carbs as I'm going to get back into Masters Swimming but that's a few months off.

ASmallOne is offline Senior Member
    If I remember right from the Good Calories, Bad Calories, Taubes book, ratios similar to yours were standard in a lot of the original and successful "reducing diets"- which is not to say that Taubes is all powerful, but that there's pretty strong scientific evidence that diets with that sort of macronutrient ratio are effective. Of course, there's plenty of other factors to think of other than just macronutrients-- calories, exercise, and most importantly your personal metabolic condition, health, genetics, and stress levels-- but if we're just looking at one factor I'd say you're in a well established successful ballpark.
    Check out my new webpage: The Carnivore Runner
    Friend me on "The Facebook"
    Follow me on Twitter!

For customized training / nutritional plans for runners from a former athlete who has personal experience in dealing with severe food allergies, please email me at foxATtinybikeDOTnet. I am ISA certified as a personal trainer and have coached many runners at the recreational or young-competitor level to towards their goals! Most of all, I'd love to help you with yours.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by ASmallOne View Post
    If I remember right from the Good Calories, Bad Calories, Taubes book, ratios similar to yours were standard in a lot of the original and successful "reducing diets"- which is not to say that Taubes is all powerful, but that there's pretty strong scientific evidence that diets with that sort of macronutrient ratio are effective. Of course, there's plenty of other factors to think of other than just macronutrients-- calories, exercise, and most importantly your personal metabolic condition, health, genetics, and stress levels-- but if we're just looking at one factor I'd say you're in a well established successful ballpark.
    Thanks for the input. I am definitely watching the other factors carefully as well, just wanted to make sure that I wasn't going crazy with the fat level....I'm not used to eating this way and although it all makes perfect sense it's still counter intuitive to my 39 year SAD/CW diet. As of today I'm down 2 pants sizes and can start wearing my large rather than X-Large shirts so it's definitely working.

The really odd thing is I am pretty much staying in the 60/30/10 zone without really much thinking about it.