Thread: Transition to fully primal in offseason page

vb66 is offline Senior Member

I wasn't really sure which subform to post this in so I thought I'd start here since it's sports related. To give some background, I'm a female NCAA athlete (hockey) currently in my Jr. year. I've always been very interested in my nutrition and training (I believe they go hand in hand) and came across PB a few months ago. Logically, everything about this lifestyle made sense to me (I'm also a bio major, nerd I know. Since we were mid season I knew cutting carbs drastically would likely yield very poor performances for me on the ice so I decided to keep my carbs adequate but made sure I got them mostly from fruit, veggies, and some dairy.

The season will be coming to an end in two more weeks, after which I will be taking 2-3 weeks off completely from exercise to rest and recouperate from the long season. These are the weeks when I am hoping to lower my carbs and make my body into a fat burning machine. My question is (there is a point to this post ) will it be more difficult for my body to switch to burning mainly fat as a fuel while I am not exercising at all? I'm not sure why but for some reason I feel as though it will take longer because training/exercising jump starts your metabolism, possilby forcing your body to burn fats sooner than it may in a resting state.

Prowler Guest

Welcome, and congratulations for choosing to take this path for your health.

You should not have any problem converting your metabolism to a primarily fat-burning one, even without much exercise. I have heard that exercise speeds up the process by depleting your glycogen stores, but they will run out anyway if you eat very low carb for a few days.

Make sure you eat enough fat (preferably animal fat, it's healthier) and very low carb, and your body will be forced to adapt.

I think it's great that you've decided to do this.

Try to stick to very-low-carb for at least a month or more, if you can. That gives your body time to fully adapt. There can be some performance loss while the body adapts, but after 2-3 weeks, you will be back, as good as ever and possibly better.

Plus, if you stick with very-low-carb long enough for your body to adapt, it will learn those metabolic pathways and it will be easier to return to that metabolism in the future, or to slip in and out of it intermittently as needed.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member

To be VLC you should aim for under 20g of carbs right?

I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Prowler Guest

Most people (as far as I've seen) consider anything under 50g a day VLC, but I started off with Atkins back in the day before I went primal, and I tend to think of 50g as a lot. Atkins Induction is 20g or less per day, and I think 20g is more than enough.

I aim for 20g or less in one day, but if I go over, I don't stress. It takes a lot more than that to disrupt ketosis.

Thanks for the replies! I was going to aim for about 50g carbs per day during those first few weeks. Would you suggest going even lower?

jessher is offline Junior Member

I think you will be just fine with 50g or less a day. I agree with you, the off-season is the perfect time to change your diet. I would encourage you to also make it a BIG priority during your off-season to sleep as much as possible and try to stop using an alarm clock. Also, you may want to do some functional strength training while you take a big break from cardio training, doing stuff like bodyweight squats, lunges, pushups, etc.

Those three things will come together and make you a ROCK STAR when you get back to training!

Prowler Guest

It's funny that this topic came up. Just the other day I was thinking about athletes and wondering if any pro athletes have tried switching to a primal, low-carb eating plan. But it occurred to me that they wouldn't be able to do it during the competition season, because of the probable difficulty in adapting to the new diet.

So, the offseason is definitely the time to make this change.

grandma is offline Member

welcome aboard --- I LOVE womens ice hockey. I'm currently at a tournament with my daughter's team --- very exciting!

It's grandma, but you can call me sir.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

@Jessica

I haven't decided how much activity I'll do during the first two weeks after the season yet before I fully jump in to my summer off ice training. I think I might do a little bit of body weight stuff like you mentioned to try to maintain muscle and then maybe some yoga and fun sports like ultimate frisbee and basketball to give my brain a break.

@Sir Grandma

Great to hear you're a fan of women's hockey! Our team just won our league championship and are playing in the NCAA quarterfinal game this Saturday.