Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you lose when juicing? page

Athanasey is offline Senior Member

What do you lose when juicing?

Shop Now
    I'm doing my grocery list, so I have a few questions today!

I notice that I am really not eating enough leafy greens lately. I know the simple solution is to eat more
    But something convenient I could eat on the go would be much better.

I'm curious about green juices and how much of the benefit of eating the whole veg do you get when you juice it. I'm not worried about loss of fibre, more nutrients. Do the two compare at all?

I also know that my children will diring a green juice but they won't eat a plate of food with kale on it (they do eat plenty of veg, just not as many green ones as I'd like!)

So is green juice acceptable but not optimal or just an all out bad thing?
    Became Primal August 2011

SW - 84kg / 185lb
    CW - 60kg / 132lb
    GW - 60kg / 132lb

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    i say go for it, some people will say 'it's full of sugar!' but the amount of sugar depends on the amount of fruit you add

2 things juiced i can't drink without gagging are peppers and kiwis. i like kiwis, but when they get juiced and added to stuff.. it.... mutates
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I used to think I was funny until I met Kathy Griffin. Im gonna have to call my mama and have her tell me how good I am. - ginger minj

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    I would rather eat than drink my calories but if it gets the kids eating go for it.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

carlh is offline Senior Member
    Fiber, which is important

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I'm not sure you are losing so much as gaining. For example, tonight I made grapefruit juice. It took 3 small grapefruits to make a glass. I would not have eaten 3 grapefruits if I had eaten them whole. Is this a bad thing or a good thing, especially in the case of vegetables? I don't know.
    Female, 5'3", 50, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 192.5lbs, press 75lbs and deadlift 210lbs

Athanasey is offline Senior Member
    I was thinking Kale, Apple and Ginger. With one apple between the three of us and enough kale to make juice. No idea if that would work, probably need a lot of kale, but that's kind of the idea. I should probably find out how much kale costs first!
    Became Primal August 2011

SW - 84kg / 185lb
    CW - 60kg / 132lb
    GW - 60kg / 132lb

carlh is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I would not have eaten 3 grapefruits if I had eaten them whole. Is this a bad thing or a good thing, especially in the case of vegetables? I don't know.
    If you're trying to limit your sugar intake, then yes, it is a bad thing. You're losing out on the fiber and substance of the fruit and replacing it with more fructose.

jakey is offline Senior Member
    if you're really just juicing greens and vegetables, it's probably not too bad. it's when you start juicing fruits that you get the issue - consuming more fruit than you'd likely eat, quicker than you'd likely eat it, and without any of the fiber = liver and blood sugar unhappy.

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Athanasey View Post
    I was thinking Kale, Apple and Ginger. With one apple between the three of us and enough kale to make juice. No idea if that would work, probably need a lot of kale, but that's kind of the idea. I should probably find out how much kale costs first!
    around here kale is 99 cents a bunch, i doubt it would be much more anywhere else
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I used to think I was funny until I met Kathy Griffin. Im gonna have to call my mama and have her tell me how good I am. - ginger minj

j3nn is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    They say juice should be a 3:1 ratio of veggies to fruit, so I agree that you're potentially adding more nutrients than you might get otherwise from 4 additional fruit and veggies.

Apple, carrot, celery is heavenly!!
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men. - Samuel Adams

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast